Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Are Favoured Souls a type of Chosen?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2013 :  18:55:48  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if Favoured Soul will end up a Mage tradition in 5e. And no I'm not kidding.
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2013 :  20:03:34  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

I wonder if Favoured Soul will end up a Mage tradition in 5e. And no I'm not kidding.

Cleric perhaps. It's sort of the "sorcerer" of the divine caster class.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2013 :  21:44:45  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Psion, Wizard, Warlock, Artificer, Sorceror and other classes are going be under Mage and in earilier stage Favoured Soul was going to be a subclass of sorceror. That before Sorceror was absorbed into Mage so all bets are off.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11734 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2013 :  22:08:09  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Razz

Favored Souls in the Realms are officially outlined here:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070425

I like that description, it fits both the initial description of Favoured Souls and the Realms.

At those who see Favoured Souls as Zealots and Preachers I don't understand why? Why don't even have to pray for thier spells and they don't even get religion and the fluff given for them indicates some may actually resent being chosen.

As for the 5e realms its sounds like the new Chosen created for the Sundering are more akin to Favoured Souls, born chosen, and starting off with weak powers, then Chosen with the Chosen Template.

My main reason for saying they'd be more inclined to preaching/zealotry is their natural ability for it, since the class requires a high charisma. The reason I see them as a more active/militant arm is because the class gets weapons focus/weapon specialization. When it comes to them resenting being chosen, they MUST follow the tenets of a deity (even more so they must be devoted than a cleric, it that they cannot choose an ideal... granted this was never an option for clerics in 3e FR). There is nothing indicating that they cannot be denied their power by a deity if they don't follow his strictures. Nor is there anything indicating that they can't swap deities at the drop of a hat if they want to follow a different ethos. But, they must follow a deity's ethos.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2013 :  02:39:42  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually I believe favour souls switching to another deity was rare because the deity had to agree to it and fallen favoures souls were seen as untrust worthy.

But that was just fluff, by raw you can switch deities. I get.what you mean with the Charisma and the favoured weapon. I kind of see the favoured weapon and other combat skills as coming instintively as the magic does, the way human babies are born with the ability to swim.
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2013 :  03:35:29  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what I noticed about the Favored Souls are the following two:

1) They do not lose access to their divine magic no matter what. Even if they forsake the deities or switch their allegiance from the one that granted them the divine gift, they still can harness the Power. It was born/gifted into their souls, it probably cannot be ripped without destroying the soul itself entirely. Whereas Clerics follow rites, traditions, codes, rituals, prayer, and devotion along with spellcraft to please their deity into gifting them with specific divine spells in which to use to perform for their deities' desires, Favored Souls are outside of all of that entirely.

2) There doesn't seem to be any restrictions. With Clerics, if you are Good you are forbidden from casting an Evil spell and vice versa. There are consequences if you try to or even manage it, such as complete disconnection from your divine power entirely until you atone. It seems Favored Souls do not have this limitation, casting any divine spell as they wish if they have chosen to learn it (through levels) or magic items.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11734 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2013 :  04:12:11  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

From what I noticed about the Favored Souls are the following two:

1) They do not lose access to their divine magic no matter what. Even if they forsake the deities or switch their allegiance from the one that granted them the divine gift, they still can harness the Power. It was born/gifted into their souls, it probably cannot be ripped without destroying the soul itself entirely. Whereas Clerics follow rites, traditions, codes, rituals, prayer, and devotion along with spellcraft to please their deity into gifting them with specific divine spells in which to use to perform for their deities' desires, Favored Souls are outside of all of that entirely.

2) There doesn't seem to be any restrictions. With Clerics, if you are Good you are forbidden from casting an Evil spell and vice versa. There are consequences if you try to or even manage it, such as complete disconnection from your divine power entirely until you atone. It seems Favored Souls do not have this limitation, casting any divine spell as they wish if they have chosen to learn it (through levels) or magic items.

You HAVE to follow a deity. Therefore, you don't follow your deity's ethos, bye-bye abilities. You also HAVE to stay within 1 degree of said deity's alignment... stray too far... bye-bye abilities.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2013 :  11:21:22  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its up to a deity how much leeway they give on how much ladutude they give when it comes to living by the deities ethos.

As the mortal does chose to be a Favoured Soul and this person is likely to figure highly in a Gods plans this is likely to be highly forgiving.

And Alignments do have some room to move as well.

Don't get me wrong a favoured soul of a good god slaughering childern and forcing goodly folk to grovel via command spells will likely lose his power until they atone, but a favoured soul who finds passive aggressive ways of rebelling usually won't.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2013 :  11:22:01  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Its up to a deity how much leeway they give on how much ladutude they give when it comes to living by the deities ethos.

As the mortal does chose to be a Favoured Soul and this person is likely to figure highly in a Gods plans this is likely to be highly forgiving.

Don't get me wrong a favoured soul of a good god slaughering childern and forcing goodly folk to grovel via command spells will likely lose his power until they atone, but a favoured soul who finds passive aggressive ways of rebelling usually won't.

Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2013 :  18:35:48  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

@Lillianviaten: you're not the only one begging for another Liriel novel. Heck, I'd beg for another FR book by Elaine, period!

Liriel is my favorite drow in the Realms, even more so than Drizzt and Jarlaxle. She definitely needs another trilogy.

Yes! I wasn't entirely satisfied with the end of 'Windwalker', and Liriel's just got too much potential to be given only one trilogy, and then never appear again. Er, hope that didn't sound like I dislike Elaine Cunningham's writing (she's easily my favorite FR author), I just really want her to bring Liriel back.

Edited by - Drustan Dwnhaedan on 06 Sep 2013 18:37:40
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2013 :  21:06:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, too, would love to see more of Liriel.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2013 :  23:27:19  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eheh, got a little distracted earlier and forgot I was going to put in my two cents worth. I've always thought of the favored soul as being something more than a cleric and less than a Chosen. (Hmm, I'm just repeating what somebody else posted, aren't I? Sorry, I can't help it if I think in a similar fashion to somebody else.)

Edited by - Drustan Dwnhaedan on 06 Sep 2013 23:28:34
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2013 :  23:47:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drustan Dwnhaedan

Eheh, got a little distracted earlier and forgot I was going to put in my two cents worth. I've always thought of the favored soul as being something more than a cleric and less than a Chosen. (Hmm, I'm just repeating what somebody else posted, aren't I? Sorry, I can't help it if I think in a similar fashion to somebody else.)

In my opinion, you could do worse than to think like myself.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2013 :  03:50:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I, too, would love to see more of Liriel.

Agreed.

I still feel that's there more to tell of Liriel's story. Certainly, enough, I would hope, that Wizards would one day see the need to revisit her life in some future novel or anthology set.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2013 :  23:34:05  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

You HAVE to follow a deity. Therefore, you don't follow your deity's ethos, bye-bye abilities. You also HAVE to stay within 1 degree of said deity's alignment... stray too far... bye-bye abilities.

quote:

Its up to a deity how much leeway they give on how much ladutude they give when it comes to living by the deities ethos.

Not according to Complete Divine and what has been outlined in the Class Chronicles link I gave. Favored Souls do not choose to be Favored Souls at all (the player makes the choice, but in-character, the character does not).

Again, Favored Souls do not get their spells from their deities. It specifically states that Favored Souls do almost always devote themselves to the deity that granted them inner divine power, but they are not beholden. The Power is theirs to wield now, unlike a Cleric, who MUST channel that energy from a deity.

Favored Souls do not channel it from a deity. They are, essentially, their own channel to divine magic.
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2013 :  23:35:29  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also please note that while Clerics have a sidebar stating what happens to Ex-Clerics, Favored Souls do not have an "Ex-Favored Soul" section at all. They are not as restricted as Clerics. Their only restriction is wide and general access to divine magic. Like a sorcerer to a wizard.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11734 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  00:44:33  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

Its up to a deity how much leeway they give on how much ladutude they give when it comes to living by the deities ethos.

Not according to Complete Divine and what has been outlined in the Class Chronicles link I gave. Favored Souls do not choose to be Favored Souls at all (the player makes the choice, but in-character, the character does not).

Again, Favored Souls do not get their spells from their deities. It specifically states that Favored Souls do almost always devote themselves to the deity that granted them inner divine power, but they are not beholden. The Power is theirs to wield now, unlike a Cleric, who MUST channel that energy from a deity.

Favored Souls do not channel it from a deity. They are, essentially, their own channel to divine magic.

Complete Divine is very specific... they HAVE to follow a deity. They can't follow an ethos. They HAVE to stay within one step of said deities alignment. So, Favored souls haven't discovered some amazing mysterious way to get around not doing what their deity wants them to do. The only difference is that unlike clerics, who must request and memorize their spells at a certain time of day, etc... the Favored Souls are given a lot more leeway on accessing their spells.... but only because they have such a limited selection to choose from that they're pretty much only going to have an attack spell, a healing spell, and maybe 2 other choices at any given level to choose from.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  01:00:11  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually, they do channel divine power.

Complete Divine, p.6:
quote:
The favored soul follows the path of the cleric but is able to
channel divine power with surprising ease.

They need not pray for specific spells like a cleric does, but Favored Souls do indeed channel their deity's power.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000