Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Warning about the godborn companion book
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2013 :  05:05:26  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So first thing, I will post some "little " bit spoilers, in white text below, so scan over if you want to read it.

Okay for the warning bit, I looked over some, free to read if you review , reviews. The good ones were folks who had seen the other books in paul.s kemp Everis Cale books, and the twilight trio, the ones that did not enjoy it, had not seen the other books, and felt lost and confused, with several plot points missing.

So a warning to those that would read the Godborn books, get caught up on Paul S. Kemp work , so you can get a full enjoyment of the second book.

Spoiler *

It seems from some of the reviews, none of them gave to much away besides some plot points, which I will not add, but the lord of canin is heavily involved, as is shar herself in avatar form.

Edited by - silverwolfer on 09 Aug 2013 05:05:54

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2013 :  13:08:16  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Paul said he tried to write The Godborn so that it didn’t require reading any previous novels. I like your choice of word, though. Companion speaks more of a recommended reading than a requirement, which, again, Paul tried to avoid.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2013 :  19:58:35  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well am litterly holding up the truth here, based on reviews, the negative ones were mostly due to not understanding previous plot points, having not read them before.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2013 :  20:18:09  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is a good review of The Godborn by someone who did not read the other Cale novels.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2013 :  20:35:50  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
haha, you are sort of not getting the clash. Those that had read the previous books, (while more likely to like the new book also , or they would have not seen the past books), said they enjoyed it. The ONLY bad reviews, based on the goodreads website, were those that had not seen the authors past works.

Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2013 :  22:15:33  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silverwolfer

haha, you are sort of not getting the clash. Those that had read the previous books, (while more likely to like the new book also , or they would have not seen the past books), said they enjoyed it. The ONLY bad reviews, based on the goodreads website, were those that had not seen the authors past works.

That really burned me up, Silverwolfer. I read a few negative reviews from your link. "The Godborn" is the 8th Erevis Cale book, to my knowledge. There was "Shadow's Witness" (which I still need to read), then the Erevis Cale Trilogy and the Twilight War trilogy.

Not only were those reviewers not familiar with Erevis Cale's story, but many reviewers were also 1st time Forgotten Realms readers. Without knowing anything about FR, there are many plot points that can't be fully appreciated.

Erevis Cale's story is all about his struggle to rise above his past and become the good man he thinks he can be. To come in on the EIGHTH book of a series and complain that you don't know what's going on is abject stupidity. Now people are going to see reviews about the book being hard to follow, and think Kemp's writing is the problem. It's just not fair to him.

Some of those same folks were reviewing "The Companions", and they didn't do their homework at all. You have to know something about the FR setting to fully understand why a drow living on the surface, and traveling around performing good deeds with dwarves and humans (and a halfling) is such an incredible story.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  04:39:54  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suspected as much. I am on the first book of the second trilogy. I stopped it to read the Companions, but I will resume after. After that trilogy it is on to Erin Evans, and Hopefully I can get all of this read before each book comes out.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  12:35:03  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont care what the reviews say. I am getting this book regardless. I loved the previous ones and need closure on the overall story.
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  16:05:25  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have only read the first two twilight wars novels and I didn't find following any of the spoiler chapters difficult. Mr. Kemp is using a lot of icon D&D characters, you don't even have to be a FR buff to know the major figures of the 9 hells.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

charger_ss24
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  17:25:20  Show Profile Send charger_ss24 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

I dont care what the reviews say. I am getting this book regardless. I loved the previous ones and need closure on the overall story.

Exactly. Why should any of us care what reviewers/critics have to say about anything? Only we can determine what we think is good or not good.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000