Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Regained faith in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2013 :  17:09:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can anyone provide any info on Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle? I am REALLY curious about that one.

Was there a map of any sort?

This is the one thing I would really have loved to get my hands on.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

thenightgaunt
Acolyte

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2013 :  21:02:24  Show Profile Send thenightgaunt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Renin

quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

However, I don't see the Realms truly fixable. The time gap has fragmented the Realms. They're continuing to move forward which to me means they are not going back. I don't believe they can properly support 1360/1370 era play while producing material for 1484 play.. in addition to 1479. And they will NEVER admit they can't and won't be supporting all eras of play equally, because they did a wonderful job alienating their player base with 4e and can't do that this time around.

Have they said they would put out new material for the 1370 era? I don't believe I've seen that yet.

As it is, I expect to NOT see anything from that time. Then again, there's an entire 'new' world to explore in a classic manner, so hey, maybe I'll actually buy some new source material again.

I didn't really expect them to completely retcon the Spellplague but I'm still feeling a bit petulant about it. I liked the 1370's and hated the ultimatum that was 4th edition. But if it's done well they'll probably get my attention.

quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Wow Therise, if you can be convinced that retaining some 4e elements is okay then there is hope for the Realms yet. I think I can speak for all of us, we will expect a full report upon your return. Cheers and thanks for the quick blurb from GenCon.

Ok you've sold me on this as well, somewhat. I suppose I'll need to give this series a shot.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2013 :  22:55:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Can anyone provide any info on Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle? I am REALLY curious about that one.

Was there a map of any sort?

This is the one thing I would really have loved to get my hands on.

I just got my hands on a copy the other day; I had to rely on eBay.

I've not had a lot of time to go thru it, but for the most part, it looks pretty good to me. I would have been happier with a hardcover, as opposed to the softcover, but it's a good, thick book, and a significant chunk of it is the adventure itself. There is also a second on Daggerford itself, and something of a primer on the D&D Next rules -- it's supposed to be enough to let someone make a character and play the adventure, all in one book.

That said, I do have a couple of quibbles with stuff I saw in the book. There are illustrations that look like Post-It Notes, with scribbled comments on the content on that page -- one of which refers to the "yo mama" jokes that are described in the text as being anachronistic!

And while some of the artwork is new, some isn't. Some of it is similar to the concept artwork we've already seen (with the halflings with enormous heads, spindly legs, and MacFarlane-esque ankles), some of it is good but not great, and some of it is recycled 1E art! Some is from the 1E monster books, and I recognized the artwork of Emirikol the chaotic from my 1E DMG.

So overall, I like what I've seen -- but I don't like the way parts of it are treated like a joke. That's not what I expect from FR products.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 19 Sep 2013 23:01:27
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2013 :  07:27:49  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After seeing this thread, my faith in the Realm's has, while not completely restored, been raised to a height it hasn't been at for a long time. I also have learned how not to write a post on a forum (if you've read all the other posts on this thread, you know what I'm referring to). While I may get upset with some of the things that happened in the Realms, or disagree with other scribes' point of view, I would never (deliberately) post anything to hurt the feelings of my fellow fans. (In spite of my generally nonsensical nature, I do understand what it's like to have one's feelings hurt, and try my best to avoid causing that pain to others.)
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2013 :  13:23:34  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Best way to do that is to avoid these sort of topics. Certain people have shall we say, very passionate views about 4e.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000