Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Pipe in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2013 :  03:01:34  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Yes I know there are musical instruments that are pipes, that some magical items have short pipes as part of their construction.

What I have not seen are infrastructure piping every mentioned as something used in the Realms. The type of pipe I am talking about is well casing, city water supply or even use of pipe to draw water off a cistern.

Pipe on earth has been made of wood, clay, copper, iron and steel of which exist in the Realms, so the material is there. The question is if the Realms actual makes pipe to fit house, castles or communities, if so to what extend pipe is deployed? Driving a well casing clearly harder to achieve then a drain pipe from a cistern.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2013 :  13:57:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dwarves are aware of pipe - they have very elaborate (and insanely huge) water-pump systems (I believe there is one documented in Dwarves Deep that runs under a good portion of The Shaar, IIRC).

And then there is the 'gas pipe' that they laid when Mithral Hall was at war with Menzoberranzan (I believe a gnome may have also been involved in that); primitive, but effective. There is quite a bit of descriptive text that went with those chapters, IIRC.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Jul 2013 13:58:34
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2013 :  14:03:00  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elminster has been known to lay a lot of pipe too.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2013 :  19:45:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We SO need a 'rimshot' smiley.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2013 :  20:17:18  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Certainly there must be pipes; sewer pipes, sewer tunnels, cisterns, canals, locks, and even aquaducts are oft mentioned through Realmslore (and adventures) which span many cities. Outside of places such as the Anauroch, permanent manmade wells are almost always lined with some sort of stonework, lime, brick, or mortar. Larger cities must constantly pipe large volumes of clean water in and unclean water out.

Stonework aquaducts, sewers, and canals were used extensively in ancient Rome, Athens, Petra, Cairo, Babylon. Almost every city and population center in Europe had waterworks installed during late medieval and early renaissance, although some (such as London) were notorious for delaying until too many people died during the hot seasons when open sewage ran through the streets and rivers.

It basically boils down to costs and materials. A major city requires major infrastructure and costs and engineering (sorta like building a stone castle), a little village requires one or two wells which can be dug up in a few days. I think clay and brick (fired clay) would be the first and cheapest choice, then lead (if available), then stonework, then other metals. Most human cities make use of natural (or redirected) streams and rivers, natural springs, and ocean tides/currents to move clean water in and filth out, most will build as much pipe as they need to ensure everybody (who can afford it) gets clean water and that their nasty garbage is carried an acceptable distance away (out of sight and smell, usually) ... and few would ever spend more than absolutely necessary when installing such waterworks. Many feudal towns also need to function as military outposts in desperate times, so they'll usually contain a secure source of clean water, plus more stored in cisterns and towers for fighting fires and plagues and droughts. Farms tend to maintain their own wells and pumps and have plenty of water irrigation around their fields. Rich people like to install fountains and monuments which feature moving water. Public baths and pools require complex piping chambers to continually heat and cool and move water.

Dwarves undoubtedly use complex stoneworks and metal pipes, as do gnomes - after all, they obviously have access to some sort of steam-engine technology which requires lots of brass pipes and glass valves and such stuff. Elves might go for some sort of living/plant conduits or other organic sylvan nonsense. Orcs might be satisfied with dirt-lined troughs and tunnels.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000