Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Help With A Campaign
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

xRazoo
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2013 :  06:12:46  Show Profile Send xRazoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have been working on a Forgotten Realms campaign since the beginning of this year, and just recently started it with my group. I wanted to run the idea by you guys to get some input, advice, etc from people with a lot more information on the Realms than I.

So to kick it off this campaign is centered around Discovery, Magic, and interactions with people. I'm looking for a campaign that really brings out that feeling of discovering something new that no one knows, having power at your disposal, and developing relationships with other people and watching them grow or crumble.

Since I've started reading info about the Realms I've been hugely intrigued by the Netheril. My first idea with them was actually what if, when Karsus linked with Mystryl and she sacrificed herself, she was reborn as Mystra, but did not let anyone know. Her followers would go without answers, other gods would be uninformed of her presence, and magic users would eventually forget what provided them with non-divine magic. The weave and Mystryl would fall into myth and later on, with great magic users, many theories would spring up of where magic came from.

Is this reasonable and something that could actually have happened early on in the realms? Are there things this would harm that I am overlooking?

Continuing on we have the party in the year 1370. I'm not going to get too deep on who they are, but a hodge-podge group in Waterdeep is where we are at. Two have a connection to the Shadow Thieves, one through a family member, one through a friend connection. They do not know the goals of the Shadow Thieves, or that they are in fact the Shadow Thieves. The only thing they do know is that it is one group member's family guild that he wants to join. I plan to use them in the Shadow Thieve's strive for power in Waterdeep over the next few years, eventually bringing them into the fold and letting them know their plan.

Now none of the party members are evil, and they thought they were working for a guild that did good deeds just in a bad way. The ends justify the means reasoning that was a guise the Shadow Thieves used to manipulate them. I expect the group to fight back against them in some way and getting involved with some of the big players in Waterdeep ie. the Guilds, Lords, and powerful people like Blackstaff. After the Shadow Thieves problem is dealt with, and the group will be connected to some heavy players in the Realms. This is where my initial idea of Mystra not being well known comes in. The big players will talk about this every once in awhile, wizards will debate, etc and this will get the players interested in it while they do their own thing. Eventually ruins are discovered in the Anauroch Desert and the group, being the crazy adventures they are, are asked to investigate.

After investigating the ruins the Lorass Tablet is found. The Lorass Tablet is similar to the Rosetta Stone and allows the players and whoever else to transcribe the very old writings of the Netherese (who I believe used Draconic, but I might change this for the Discovery factor, let me know if this is reasonable). More exploration is done and some Nether Scrolls are found leading to more knowledge of where magic originates and how it works.

While this exploration is going on the Sharn Wall is destroyed and the Phaerimm are released. A bit down the line the players also witness the return of the Shades. The end of the campaign involves the party becoming involved in their return, defending against them, and all the while discovering more and more about the origin of magic (mainly from the Shades and the Nether Scrolls they will find) until the pinnacle where Mystra is discovered and the threats are dealt with as much as possible.

So what do you think? Are there any glaring problems, things I should include, or things I should change a bit?

I'd love to hear as much input as possible as I'm very interested in running the best Forgotten Realms campaign as possible.

Ze
Learned Scribe

Italy
147 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2013 :  08:06:45  Show Profile Send Ze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the Lorass Tablet idea, is that yours or is it Canon?
I would think that such a discovery would attract many attentions, throwing the PCs into a chase against other magic using parties, e.g. Red Wizards, Arcane Brotherhood, and so on.

You may want to refer to Netheril Empire of Magic and How the Mighty Are Fallen, if you didn't already. They were both free downloads on the WotC website, and they can still be found on the Internet Archive.

I still haven't decided what to do with the Sharn wall, phaerimm and Shade when that time will come in my campaiign. I would not like to link the return of Shade (which, in itself, might be cool) to the return of the phaerimm, as I never appreciated that connection.

Now, you have me thinking - they might be returned consequently to the discovery of an ancient object (your Lorass Tablet or something else buried along with it) to which they are linked, or an object with the ability to draw them back to Prime. Mmm, I'll have to ruminate on this.
Go to Top of Page

xRazoo
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2013 :  09:41:34  Show Profile Send xRazoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Lorass Tablet was my idea, mainly to go along with the theme of discovery in my campaign. I didn't like the idea of an ancient civilization using Draconic writing and having my PC's immediately be able to read it.

Thanks for the names of two very great resources. I have heard of Netheril Empire of Magic, but not of the other one. I will have to read more into those when I get to the later aspects of my campaign.

I have to think about what draws the Shades back as well. I like the idea of another artifact, but it would have to be something very powerful to bring an entire civilization back. I'm going to have to come up with something to inspire them to return.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000