Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Need some creative help with a spell
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2013 :  18:05:19  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello...

After playing quite a bit of Diablo 3, I came up with an idea for a spell. The spell is a copy or a rewrite of a spell from D3, though under a different name and with a different effect... sort of.

I want to say, that the game we play is epic and it is what some of you would call "broken" or too power gamed, but we like it and have a lot of fun the few time a yeah we meet.

Anyways I hope you guys will comment, criticize and give some constructive feedback, so this spell can either be thrown out or become really cool

Here it is:

Melcar’s Astral Storm
Conjuration [Summoning]
Level: Sor/Wis 9
Components: V, S, M, F
Casting Time: One round
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: 10ft radius
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Special (Object)
Spell Resistance: No (Object)

When this spell is cast, silver blue spheres of astral matter is summoned onto the material plane as asteroids originating from somewhere high above. As the spheres reach their destination they explode in a silver blue flash as the astral matter collapses into nothing.

This powerful conjuration wrenches at the very fabric of the astral plane and brings it into existence on the material plane to devastating effect. This spell creates one asteroid- like spheres of astral matter, per 10th caster level, which is directed at the target area. The perpendicular interference of the two planes colliding creates a number of effects:

• Firstly the force at which the astral matter pulled onto the material plane is so great that it results in the spheres exploding in a burst of pure energy, effectively annihilating the astral mater in a 10 ft. radius blast per sphere. Any creature or object caught in the blast radius takes 1d6 points of bludgeoning damage per caster level (no save).

• Secondly any affected object or creature of huge or smaller size, risks being teleported onto the astral plane as the astral matter collapses in on itself. A successful reflex save negates this.

Material component: A planar fork, keyed for the astral plane

TBeholder
Great Reader

2421 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2013 :  18:55:51  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wait... spheres of... what?
Is it fro Diablo?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2013 :  20:20:33  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Wait... spheres of... what?
Is it fro Diablo?

He he... The idea is from the spell or wizard ability called "Meteor" with the rune of "Star Pack".

I’m thinking a little physics into it... like when matter and anti-mater meet, they explode in pure energy.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2013 :  21:25:56  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The spell does not scan well for me.

I would think saving throw would apply to damage as well, the effect starts at a distance.

Also not sure it should be listed as object as it clearly can effect creatures.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2013 :  21:46:22  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

The spell does not scan well for me.

I would think saving throw would apply to damage as well, the effect starts at a distance.

Also not sure it should be listed as object as it clearly can effect creatures.

So perhaps a reflex saving throw to half the damage and negate the teleport effect?... ok seems fair.

But if it affect both creatures and objects how do I list that?
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2013 :  00:15:48  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Objects

A spell with this kind of area affects objects within an area you select (as Creatures, but affecting objects instead).

My reading would remove word object in your descriptor, the spell effects both creatures and objects. Instead make saving throe Reflex, Few objects have a save *G*

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2013 :  05:57:35  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe a dice roll to determine if anything got pulled (eg astral creature) from the astral onto the material plane?

Maybe you can also have the spell to be attuned to different kinds of planes with different planar forks? Like planar fork=Baator, causes hellish planar spheres to appear?

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2013 :  23:05:11  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the idea of a risk of actually summoning something that gets pulled with the small piece of astral matter and I have made the following changes:

Melcar’s Astral Storm
Conjuration (Summoning)
Level: Sor/Wis 9
Components: V, S, M, F
Casting Time: One round
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Area: One 10ft radius burst of energy per 10 caster levels
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: No

When this spell is cast, silver blue spheres of astral matter is summoned onto the material plane as asteroids originating from somewhere high above. As the spheres reach their destination they explode in a silver blue flash as the astral matter collapses into nothing.

This powerful conjuration wrenches at the very fabric of the astral plane and brings it into existence on the material plane to devastating effect. This spell creates one asteroid- like spheres of astral matter, per 10th caster level, which is directed at the target area. The perpendicular interference of the two planes colliding creates a number of effects:

• Firstly the force at which the astral matter is pulled onto the material plane is so great that it results in the spheres exploding in a burst of pure energy, effectively annihilating the astral mater in a 10 ft. radius blast per sphere. Any creature or object caught in the blast radius takes 1d6 points of bludgeoning damage per caster level. A successful reflex saving throw halves this damage.

• Secondly any affected object or creature of huge or smaller size, who failed their initial reflex saving throw have a 10% risk of being teleported onto the astral plane as the astral matter collapses in on itself.

• Lastly when the planar matter self-annihilate, a 1% chance exist of something coming through onto the material plane as the caster pulls a small part of the astral plane of the spell Gate. If this happens roll from the table below.

NB. If a different planar fork is used, this spell would pull matter from the plane the fork was tuned to.

Material Component: A Sapphire of good quality
Focus: A planar fork, keyed to the astral plane

One thing I am very unsure of is the sub-school. Should it be Creation or Summoning? Or any of the other conjuration sub schools? Any thoughts on this guys?

And thanks again for all your feedback!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000