Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 FR 5e player material
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1624 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2013 :  16:42:26  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What 5e player material would you like to see?

How about a Red Wizard Wizard Tradition.

Unique Paladin Oaths for FR? Maybe Ruby Knight?

Deity Archetypes for Clerics?

FR flavoured prestige classes?

Unique weapons armour magic items.

Anything else?
New Classes, like Swordmage?

Any

Monk Monastic Traditions?

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2013 :  19:09:44  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know enough about 5e rules (although I played a play test thing like a year ago)

Will there be prestige classes? Kits? Do we know?
Go to Top of Page

The Madmage
Acolyte

26 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2013 :  19:39:47  Show Profile Send The Madmage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No prestige classes or multiclassing rules have been included so far (they are still working on some core classes). "Kits", such as they exist are split into themes or backgrounds depending on how one defines them.

That said, Gyor has pretty much covered most of what would be necessary for any FR player book. I don't think any new classes are required though so long as the base/core classes are done right. Although, I wouldn't mind seeing a revival of the Uthgardt and Ulutiu shamanistic traditions. I'm not a big fan of having magical items on display for players as it removes some of the sense of wonder or surprise when a DM rewards the group with the item(s).

I'd like to see 3-4 new themes for each class with one exception. Cleric domains need to be provided for at least 50% of all faerunian deities for both players and DMs.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11808 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2013 :  20:33:31  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sadly, I'm not sure what we can actually discuss on open forums. For instance, if I were displeased with the direction I see it going, I don't think I could state it on these forums (nor the other way around). I will state I like a lot of options in my games in order to mechanically make one type of mage different from another. Its all well and good for instance to SAY that red wizards are the most awesome with say fire magic (or that they are the preeminent masters within their fields, etc...), but if the rules don't back it up, its just bluster.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11808 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2013 :  21:36:48  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, one thing I would like to see is something akin to the status system in Midgard for FR. It could play into the leadership feat as well to a degree. There should be some base things that affect a person's status, then on a country by country basis list out particular things that THAT country would give someone additional status for. Thus, someone's status in Thay might be different than their status in Rashemen. I'm not picturing a huge chart system, because that might get overwhelming.... but things like in Halruaa if you're a wizard it ups your status by 1. In Cormyr, if you are of noble blood, it ups your status by 1. If you belong to a guild in Waterdeep, maybe it ups your status by 1. In Thay, if you're Mulan OR a wizard, either or both ups your status by 1. In Amn, if you are a merchant, your status is upped by 1. Then there might be certain specific things that are considered very important for a country, for instance if you have a Unicorn mount in Silverymoon... that might up your status. You don't need to get into every nitty gritty detail, just the things that are kind of intrinsic to a country. Then allow for the DM to add a -2 to +2 penalty/bonus based on his feelings of your actions in the area so far.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1624 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2013 :  21:48:01  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That reminds me, new Backgrounds with unique background traits.

As for multiclassing, it was mentioned somewhere that it will be in the next major packet.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2013 :  23:38:33  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've already created a "Justicar" Oath for paladins that require (optional, mind you) a Lawful Neutral alignment and venerates uphold Law above anything else. It's a pretty good path for someone who venerates Helm, Tyr, Torm, or the Red Knight.

They did mention prestige classes but I don't know what form they'll take.

As for what I'd like to see, well that would be a pretty long list. Specific traditions for Wizards and Monks, Oaths stylized after specific deities, a full list of Channel Divinity powers for clerics of said deity, prestige classes that have more FR flavor would be nice. My biggest complaint of PrCs in v3.5 for FR was that they were far to specific and the abiliites extreamly limited. Broaden their approach to incompass multiple ways to function and I'll be happy, instead of gaining a specific bonus when within the bounds of a country or state or city.
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2013 :  04:17:41  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Abolishing the alignment system would be lovely.

I'd like to see the Realms as they were in 2e. Mostly, I'd like to see support for all ranges of play. I'd also like to see things for 'evil' characters; I'd like to see an objective view towards them and not just slapping the 'evil' alignment on them and assuming much from that.

One thing that would be cool would be if there was a sort of merits and flaws system like the World of Darkness games. It could add a lot of character depth to the game. I suppose feats could cover this, but they don't really get into personalizing the characters as much because they're more about game mechanics than anything.
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2013 :  05:11:26  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think we can criticize things? Criticizing the realms just went overboard and became repetitive with 4e being...what it was.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2013 :  07:33:32  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unique Paladin Oaths for FR and FR flavored prestige classes sound fun to me.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11808 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2013 :  16:41:54  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

sadly, I'm not sure what we can actually discuss on open forums. For instance, if I were displeased with the direction I see it going, I don't think I could state it on these forums (nor the other way around). I will state I like a lot of options in my games in order to mechanically make one type of mage different from another. Its all well and good for instance to SAY that red wizards are the most awesome with say fire magic (or that they are the preeminent masters within their fields, etc...), but if the rules don't back it up, its just bluster.

to be clear, I'm talking about if you've seen the 5e rules, I don't think we can discuss them yet legally outside of wizard's forum.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2013 :  06:28:17  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One thing I would like to see are rules for 'Faction'. This was a concept introduced in Sword & Sorcery Studio's D20 Everquest publication. To paraphrase into Realms terms, 'Faction represents the consequences of a character's actions in the Forgotten Realms'.

If you have a good Faction score with the Harpers, you likely aren't all that popular with the Zhentarim. High Faction with the Church of Eilistraee means that you're likely on the outs with Lolth's folk. A good Faction with the gnomes of Lantan probably isn't going to irritate anyone else, and a low Faction with Candlekeep means you'll likely never be allowed inside the place, rare book or not.

The Everquest book details Faction page 144, for those who have it, based initially on alignment and starting race - I am of the opinion that the Realms would have to be a bit more expansive and interwoven than Norrath is, however.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11808 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2013 :  12:54:36  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Old Man Harpell

One thing I would like to see are rules for 'Faction'. This was a concept introduced in Sword & Sorcery Studio's D20 Everquest publication. To paraphrase into Realms terms, 'Faction represents the consequences of a character's actions in the Forgotten Realms'.

If you have a good Faction score with the Harpers, you likely aren't all that popular with the Zhentarim. High Faction with the Church of Eilistraee means that you're likely on the outs with Lolth's folk. A good Faction with the gnomes of Lantan probably isn't going to irritate anyone else, and a low Faction with Candlekeep means you'll likely never be allowed inside the place, rare book or not.

The Everquest book details Faction page 144, for those who have it, based initially on alignment and starting race - I am of the opinion that the Realms would have to be a bit more expansive and interwoven than Norrath is, however.

My analytical side loves this. My side that realizes I don't use the encumbrance rules and add up everything my players are carrying says I'd never use it because there's too many factions in FR. I do like the idea I've seen for status in the midgard setting, just for the general idea that they're simpler. Basically, those are to determine if you've even been heard of and whether you're generally heard of in a positive light. I would put some basic "regional" factors into things though, so that if you're in country A you can just quickly factor your status based off your base status. Putting in factors like "you've killed Zhentarim soldiers" to raise your Cormyrian, dalelands, and Sembian factions while decreasing your Zhentarim faction though would take too much effort.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1624 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2013 :  12:58:58  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes you can talk about 5e here, like they do on RPGNET and Enworld. Just don't copy and paste the whole packet to the forums and you'll be fine.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000