Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Netherese Elven High Arcanist
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  13:41:44  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Selunarra/Opus is a Netherese Enclave in the Gates of the Moon, with most of them worshiping Selune. Selune is either a close ally to the Elven gods or is one in fourth edition.

So what would you people think of certain elves studying the epic mystical powers of the Elven High Mage as well as the mystical powers of the Netherese Arcanist (Given Selune would likely allow the encouragement of certain aligned wizards and arcane power users to study with 'her' enclave)?

What would be the effect of trying to use the best of both methods?

Would the majority of elves frown on this? Would the Selunarra Netherese? (And even if it was frowned on, would some elves still try to do this?)

Just a idea bouncing in my head...

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!

Kyrel
Learned Scribe

151 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  14:22:19  Show Profile  Visit Kyrel's Homepage Send Kyrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Off the top of my head, I wouldn't expect to find any Elves studying human magic. Not even Netherese style magic. As I recall the fluff descriptions of the Elves view on Human magic, the vast majority of Elves fine it to be crude and unrefined. Also, I seem to recall an old description of the Netherese "Mythhalla" (those spherical things at the heart of every Enclave that powered all of their pseudo magical items) as sort of "ripping holes in the Weave", rather than using it properly.

I'd also expect that the Netherese Arcanists in their arrogance would be somewhat reluctant to let an Elf onto one of their Enclaves for more than a passing visit.

But maybe that's just me?
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  15:19:37  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The Coronal Eltargrim once mentioned (if I remember it right, in Ed's Elminster in Myth Drannor) that he'd travelled a lot and had seen how some humans performed magic, and he concluded that some human magic-users surpassed some of the most powerful elves. But Eltargrim is one of the wisest elves, and wisdom isn't exactly that common among the elves, or so I think. Also, they aren't exactly the traveler kind of people, so most of them probably don't know how advanced some humans have managed to become in terms of spellcraft.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  15:27:31  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will admit I personally don't see a growing large force of NEHA (Netherese Elven High Arcanist), but I can see them like Noble Demons/Devils or Evil Gold Dragons. Or like Ed said with the airships article today. Just enough to tease the wonder of Adventures and to scare the common folk.

Even one NEHA is enough to tease the hunger of Adventures, and the patrons who hire them.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  15:37:29  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some elves did study the human methods both in Earlann (In Ascalhorn at least) and in Myth Drannor. It is known some elves also had read through the Nether scrolls before their transformation. There were also at least two Netherese Enclaves that worked extensively with elves learning their ways. The difference between elven magic and Netherese magic is not so much in the effect as in the cause. They use different means to get to an end. Damaging spells, or protecting spells, or altering spells, etc. The real difference is the interaction with the Weave. This does not have real game changing effects.

The big separation comes at high levels. Elves are allowed to become High Mages, humans are not. (I've argued that I think it could be possible, just is not done or is extremely uncommon in another scroll). This does not mean that elves cannot cast high level human spells. In fact, an elf could wait to start his or her study of high magic until a very high level. Cormanthyr Empire of the Elves said that an elf must be at least 17th level before becoming a High Mage and they stop advancing in levels after that. The stats on many of the High Mages have them at 20th-30th level however, which means they can cast 10th level (and possibly 11th level spells) as humans do.

Once you take this into 3rd edition thinking, with "prestige classes" there is no reason an elf cannot master numerous forms of magic, including elven high magic.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7978 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  19:06:12  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The central goal of every Netherese arcanist was to become a Netherese archwizard, and the hallmark of becoming an archwizard was the creation of a mythallar (almost invariably to be used as the heart of a flying enclave). Note that demihuman races, quite specifically elves and half-elves, lose access to their "supernatural" racial abilities and experience all sorts of subtle discomforts when in proximity of a mythallar's field of effect.

I also imagine quite a lot of social pressure would expect only humans attain such lofty positions while non-human aspirants would be obstructed or denied. Not to mention that, realistically, only the elven societies could possibly rival Netheril in terms of magical might and prowess ... and this rivalry was oft expressed in a sort of bitter magical cold-war ... elven spies/saboteurs/agents arcanists (if, indeed, there were any) would meet opposition at every turn in Netherese society ... they wouldn't be well-received in elven societies either.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  21:44:11  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Note that demihuman races, quite specifically elves and half-elves, lose access to their "supernatural" racial abilities and experience all sorts of subtle discomforts when in proximity of a mythallar's field of effect.

What's that from? A 3rd E source? 4th?
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  21:45:37  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

quote:

Note that demihuman races, quite specifically elves and half-elves, lose access to their "supernatural" racial abilities and experience all sorts of subtle discomforts when in proximity of a mythallar's field of effect.

What's that from? A 3rd E source? 4th?

I double checked Netheril Empire of magic's mythallar description and that was not part of it.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7978 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  19:16:46  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then you didn't read the correct passages in 2E Arcane Ages: Netheril. I recall it was somewhere early in the text, perhaps near the generic fluff/descriptions of flying enclaves, not later in the "magic item" sections. Demihumans, specifically elves and half-elves, caught anywhere on, under, or within a working mythallar's field (ie: about a 1-mile radius) somehow temporarily lose their natural-mystical connection to the Weave/World/Faerūn/Feywild/whatever ... I recall the specific example being loss of elven resistance to sleep and charm. I recall this effect also being mentioned offhandedly somewhere in the Return of the Archwizards trilogy.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  19:30:31  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Then you didn't read the correct passages in 2E Arcane Ages: Netheril. I recall it was somewhere early in the text, perhaps near the generic fluff/descriptions of flying enclaves, not later in the "magic item" sections. Demihumans, specifically elves and half-elves, caught anywhere on, under, or within a working mythallar's field (ie: about a 1-mile radius) somehow temporarily lose their natural-mystical connection to the Weave/World/Faerūn/Feywild/whatever ... I recall the specific example being loss of elven resistance to sleep and charm. I recall this effect also being mentioned offhandedly somewhere in the Return of the Archwizards trilogy.

Could be Cormythander (I spelled that wrong didn't I), which was in the series but dealt with the City/History of Myth Drannor which existed at the same time as Netheril in one form.

Also who said you can't modify Mythallars or create counterparts which work with elven bodies and magic.

Edited by - Foxhelm on 09 Mar 2013 19:31:33
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7978 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  22:05:10  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be sure, some elf-attuned mythallar might negate this inconvenience, or even somehow transpose it onto humans. Magic makes nothing impossible, although I can't recall any canon examples of mythal-mythallar hybrids or whatever to counter this barely-remembered adverse effect.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if yet another "quasi-magical" mechanism duplicated magical items within proximity of a mythal - that is, say, "mythal-magical" items which function like "normal" magical items in every qualitative way (while being cheaper/easier to manufacture) yet cannot function outside the mythal's field/zone of influence.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2013 :  06:40:44  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

To be sure, some elf-attuned mythallar might negate this inconvenience, or even somehow transpose it onto humans. Magic makes nothing impossible, although I can't recall any canon examples of mythal-mythallar hybrids or whatever to counter this barely-remembered adverse effect.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if yet another "quasi-magical" mechanism duplicated magical items within proximity of a mythal - that is, say, "mythal-magical" items which function like "normal" magical items in every qualitative way (while being cheaper/easier to manufacture) yet cannot function outside the mythal's field/zone of influence.

Yeah, I found the little passage you are talking about. I'm not sure if it is the mythallar that does it though. If it did, I'd think it would say above and below and around, but it is just below.. perhaps it is a side effect of the permanent move mountain magic. Who knows.

But I'd agree this could easily be ignored by creating quasimagical items that counter the effect. If it were me, I'd make a quasimagical ring that made me IMMUNE to Enchantment/Charm magic, not just resistant to it... that is, of course, if I didn't already have the much more powerful magical items that do the same thing.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2399 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2013 :  11:07:05  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrel

Off the top of my head, I wouldn't expect to find any Elves studying human magic. Not even Netherese style magic. As I recall the fluff descriptions of the Elves view on Human magic, the vast majority of Elves fine it to be crude and unrefined.
Especially Netherese magic.
quote:
Also, I seem to recall an old description of the Netherese "Mythhalla" (those spherical things at the heart of every Enclave that powered all of their pseudo magical items) as sort of "ripping holes in the Weave", rather than using it properly.
Mythallars overloaded the Weave enough to actually harm phaerimm. As less magical creatures, Elves were more mildly annoyed than harmed, but they definitely felt this too:
The elves didn't hate the Netherese, yet they didn't have a great appreciation 
for them either. They saw these humans as careless and wanton in their magic use. 
The fact that the Netherese didn't take the precautions to shape and control their 
spellcasting (use somatic components) proved to the elves their lackadaisical nature. 
The elves were impressed with Netherese floating cities and the leaps in Netherese 
spellcraft, but they nonetheless felt uncomfortable in or near Netheril's cities.
   Whenever an elf was in or directly underneath a floating city, they lost many of 
their innate abilities, including their sleep resistance and 50% of their charm resistance.
- "Netheril"
But since High Magic exploits the elf's connection to the Weave and fine attunement, its practioners may have developed stronger opinions. Or at least would not try such rituals while in area of a mythallar's interference, if at all possible, IMO.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 10 Mar 2013 11:13:29
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2013 :  11:46:17  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My only dispute with that thinking is that it assume elves would study other forms of magic in order to use it. I think there would be a large school that would study it in order to understand it, and perhaps improve upon it by making it work the "right way."

For example, one of the artifacts of Myth Drannor were dragon scales carved with runes that are essentially a treatise on dragon magic. 9 out of 10 dragon magic spells would be useless to an elf, but in understanding the magic they better understand dragons, and in turn better understand the world and the Weave and ultimately themselves. This is the traditional elven way of looking at the world.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7978 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2013 :  20:35:44  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I view (Netherese) mythallars as being something like magical engines or machines which have a distinctively "artificial" sort of signature, while (elven) mythals are a more like organic systems which integrate in a natural or holostic manner. An analogy might be chopping across water with ship propellers instead of gently sipping it in small measures through a waterwheel or even tapping power by redirecting a body of water through a floodgate ... some species (like humpback whales or phaerimm) might be especially sensitive to such disruptions.

Other models and viewpoints have been discussed at Candlekeep, one version I found compelling is to consider mythallars as functioning something like batteries or capacitors, reservoirs of magical energy.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 10 Mar 2013 20:37:03
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2013 :  02:11:13  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Other models and viewpoints have been discussed at Candlekeep, one version I found compelling is to consider mythallars as functioning something like batteries or capacitors, reservoirs of magical energy.

If I were to go with an electronics metaphor I'd say a Mythallar works more like a transistor... I'd extend this though, to compare it to a vacuum tube in that they are fragile, can explode, and draw on larger amounts of power.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2013 :  04:16:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

If I were to go with an electronics metaphor I'd say a Mythallar works more like a transistor... I'd extend this though, to compare it to a vacuum tube in that they are fragile, can explode, and draw on larger amounts of power.

I've long called them batteries because they are not much more than an arcane power source. It's not the mythallar that makes a Netherese enclave fly -- it just provides the power to hold it aloft after Proctiv's Move Mountain is cast. And the mythallar powers the quasimagical items, too.

It's essentially an arcane power grid. You plug into it and you're golden.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2399 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2013 :  10:43:24  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My only dispute with that thinking is that it assume elves would study other forms of magic in order to use it. I think there would be a large school that would study it in order to understand it, and perhaps improve upon it by making it work the "right way."
True, but from the elven point of view, Netherese were their bright, yet sadly clumsy apprentices.
quote:
For example, one of the artifacts of Myth Drannor were dragon scales carved with runes that are essentially a treatise on dragon magic. 9 out of 10 dragon magic spells would be useless to an elf, but in understanding the magic they better understand dragons, and in turn better understand the world and the Weave and ultimately themselves.
All dragonmagic would be useless for a normal elf - or all useful, if the elf just wanted to go up in a blaze of glory. Which doesn't mean others can't use such spells as research help, replacing brute force requirement for higher levels.
More importantly, elves didn't make The Tablets of Pharyssolnyth, just squirreled them away when had an opoportunity. By the dragons, for the dragons.
quote:
but in understanding the magic they better understand dragons, and in turn better understand the world and the Weave and ultimately themselves. This is the traditional elven way of looking at the world.
Not feeling it. The traditional elven way of looking at the world is "everyone else Does Not Understand and usually Does It Wrong unless they managed to learn something from us (imperfectly)".
The stated usefulness of tablets was the obvious one: learning how to protect oneself from dragon magic. Theoretically, this could also promote study of how to defeat it or how to make their own magic better compatible with that of an allied dragon.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2013 :  13:41:32  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder
More importantly, elves didn't make The Tablets of Pharyssolnyth, just squirreled them away when had an opoportunity. By the dragons, for the dragons.

The elves didn't make them, but they spent "the better part of four centuries" translating them. I'd not call that squirreling away.

quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder
The stated usefulness of tablets was the obvious one: learning how to protect oneself from dragon magic. Theoretically, this could also promote study of how to defeat it or how to make their own magic better compatible with that of an allied dragon.

This is not stated. It states that anyone who reads them "gains an understanding," like I said before :).

I did not mean that understanding another race in and of itself improves their understanding of magic. I mean it improves their understanding of life. I'd argue that would be a relatively obvious syllogism: understand another form of life better, understand life better.

Where this translates to magic is in the elven view of how the Weave of all magic relates to life. There are countless sources about this, but I'd say the best one is straight from Ed himself in Elminster The Making Of A Mage. El's lesson in the woods on what it means to detect magic is the epitome of this idea. If you want another abject lesson in this idea refer to Elaine's Evermeet, when the High Mages strike down a rage of dragons - the ties between life and the Weave are described dramatically there as well.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000