Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Drizzt marketing (spoilers!)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Anarchitect
Acolyte

Romania
6 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2013 :  20:42:10  Show Profile Send Anarchitect a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So... Salvatore kills off Drizzt in his last book. Is it coincidentally that this occurs around the same time Neverwinter (the MMO Video Game) makes its risky debut (all MMO being risky projects).

And while some speculate that Drizzt may somehow appear in future novels (The Companions), then is his death in this novel some media shock method of showing off the Neverwinter game (you know, becouse after 20 something novel, Drizzt's last series shares the game's name)...

Edited by - Anarchitect on 03 Mar 2013 20:45:29

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2013 :  21:08:03  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm confused...what are we after in this thread?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Light
Learned Scribe

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2013 :  04:17:28  Show Profile Send Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why... why would I click when it was clearly titled (spoilers!)!!!!! WHY!!!!

"A true warrior needs no sword" - Thors (Vinland Saga)
Go to Top of Page

phranctoast
Learned Scribe

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2013 :  12:51:30  Show Profile Send phranctoast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why would someone make a post like this when the book is not even out yet? Mods should delete this

Currently reading: Spider and Stone by Jaleigh Johnson: Sequel to Mistshore
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2013 :  12:59:17  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well there is already another thread discussing Drizzts demise so....
Though I do understand your pain I felt the same way when i found out.
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2013 :  18:39:22  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't read the book yet though I've already been spoiled about Drizzt's demise, though not how it happened (these threads shouldn't be allowed before the book is released to protect the weak like me), but I have a hard time believing that Drizzt is gone for good. I'm predicting some kind of ressurection in the near future.

Though, I like Salvatore's books, so having him write stuff besides Drizzt wouldn't be a problem for me. Hell, Drizzt barely appeared in my favorite Drizzt book anyway (The Spine of the World).

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

phranctoast
Learned Scribe

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2013 :  19:52:26  Show Profile Send phranctoast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I compare people that come into forums spouting garbage like this to the D-bags reading the end of Half blood prince and telling people on line to purchase the book the major spoiler.

There's an acceptable period that one shouldn't expect to hear spoilers. before the F'in book comes out is one of them!!!!!!

Currently reading: Spider and Stone by Jaleigh Johnson: Sequel to Mistshore
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2013 :  20:57:36  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phranctoast

I compare people that come into forums spouting garbage like this to the D-bags reading the end of Half blood prince and telling people on line to purchase the book the major spoiler.

There's an acceptable period that one shouldn't expect to hear spoilers. before the F'in book comes out is one of them!!!!!!

I can't really sympathize with that. I clicked on the thread wanting spoilers, because I know that I won't be able to get to the novel for another week or two. Too many people act like they are 5 years old, and if a spoiler thread exists, they can't help reading it. I'm not saying you're doing that at all, but our society (I'm American) makes a habit of excusing poor impulse control, and it's quite annoying.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3566 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2013 :  21:06:46  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phranctoast

the only issue I see with this scroll is your poorly veiled name calling of the scrolls author a d bag.....this is the only portions worth of your comment that "Mods should delete this"...that comment and you d bag commment are potentially inflamatory.

To be fair, It might have been nice to have something like, Spoliers for The Last Threshold.... in the scroll title. And that should have been your approach to it, not name calling.

And with the internet and advance reading copies floating around....there relly is no such thing as a delaying information, if it is wantrd to be put out there.

One of my favorite TV shows airs in England months before here in the US (Downton Abbey) so I know to go out of my way and not read anything that could be related to it.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 04 Mar 2013 21:09:43
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2013 :  23:41:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really don't like the direction this is headed in. Let's damp it down, please.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2013 :  10:58:09  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apparently I have some pretty poor impulse control, since I bought the damn thing and am trying to read it on my phone. I'm at work, and I'll read it in a less eye-pain-inducing manner on the iPad once I get home. But I defiantly just did that. And now I'm posting about it. That's the beauty of technology, it feeds into the need for instant gratification and makes it so easy to give in to that impatience. Sure, 9.78 or whatever the exact price was, is still way too much to charge for an ebook, but down from the greedy hardcover price the format cost on the last part of the series, it looks like a steal to my obsessive "give me book naoz!" Mentality. And then there's that ridiculous search function on the kindle app where I can verify whether or not Entreri is all over this thing (because "moar Entreri!" is what fuels my interest in the book), which is even worse than being tempted to flip to the last page and spoil the ending. Sure, I can flip through a book just as quickly to skim for a particular name, but it's nowhere near as conclusive as a few keystrokes (or touchpad pushes, as the case may be here) that tells me the exact number of search results.

I'm a little surprised, usually I do have a lot more patience than this. And I'm not really looking for the part where Drizzt dies, I'll get there when I get there. But I gotta get my Entreri fix, it seems.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000