Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The return of Bane
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2004 :  15:03:13  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was just wondering about a few things:
How many here want to see a novel nr 6 in the avatar trilogy concerning the Return of Bane? wouldnt that be awesome? i still dont figure out how WOtC could have possibly neglected that crucial event in FR history.. beats me. I just hope we have something good coming our way concerning Bane. maybe even a novel written the same way as Cormyr: a Novel, the novel taking care of the Return and all the events around it, and in between chapters we could get a look at the life of Bane as a mortal and, the precursor of his ascendance to godhood.. now THAT would be a good readin!

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2004 :  17:11:07  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes i know even tough he is the foe of Cyric it would be so fun to read about him like that. I think that would be a greath book.
Go to Top of Page

Demonwise
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2004 :  19:33:28  Show Profile  Visit Demonwise's Homepage Send Demonwise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed. Reading about bane being tormented by his fellow students in the villain class, sure is something I would enjoy.

Might be the cause of his undying wish of dealing out pain... Hmm.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2004 :  19:47:18  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why this is a bad idea:

-- Bane is a villain, an adversary not a protagonist.
-- No Realms author actively wants to write this novel, but they have many stories they *would* like to tell.
-- The historical magnitude of an event has little to do with its suitability for a novel, even more so when Bane's return is just an editorial undoing of the error of removing him from the official Realms.
-- A Bane bio-novel would either trivialize evil or be far too unpleasant and disturbing for Wizards to publish or most Realms readers to want to read.
-- When Realms novels show gods up close it demystifies and humanizes them into mere psychological characters rather than transcendent infinite divinities.
Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2004 :  20:23:59  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why this is a (not)bad idea, comments on Faraers post:

-- Bane is a villain, an adversary not a protagonist.
Even tought he is a villain he could be a protaganist. We do not want a more good heroes like Drizzt, somone evil would be a nice change.

-- No Realms author actively wants to write this novel, but they have many stories they *would* like to tell.
How do you know what realms authors like too write?

-- The historical magnitude of an event has little to do with its suitability for a novel, even more so when Bane's return is just an editorial undoing of the error of removing him from the official Realms.

-- A Bane bio-novel would either trivialize evil or be far too unpleasant and disturbing for Wizards to publish or most Realms readers to want to read.
Bah, evil is okey. Its just a story anyway. And I think most Realms readers would read it. But about the Wizards: Dont really know, but the question was: what do we whant too read, not what Wizards would publish or not.

-- When Realms novels show gods up close it demystifies and humanizes them into mere psychological characters rather than transcendent infinite divinities.
So what? I mean its okey that the humanizes him.
I mean he was a human before he became a god, and he did become a human again.

And by the way, I tink it is an awesome idea.

Learn about the Ways of Vhaeraun .
- Check out my bio, majore update
- The Wanderers Quest

Edited by - Ezindir the dark on 24 Jan 2004 20:25:59
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  02:05:44  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My rebuttal Faraer

1) Most of the WOSQ protagonists are evil and that series is successful, also some/all of the upcoming Priest series books will have clerics of evil gods as there protagonists. So its obvious that WOTC do not have a problem with evil characters being the protagonists

2) Incorrect, both Ed Greenwood and James Lowder have said they'd be interested in writing a book about Bane however both are currently busy.

3) The return of Shade could be viewed as a "editorial undoing of the error of removing him from the official Realms." and yet the story of Shades return got 3 books

4)Nonese have complete confidence that FR authors can write about a villian without trvilising evil. As for it being to dark and disturbing, the Priest novels specfically the the Maiden of Pain submission guidelines said WOTC expected the novel to be darker than the typical FR novel due to the subject matter.

5) Gods in the FR are falliable they are not all knowing, all seeing and all ways right and are therefore in alot of ways human especially when the gods are risen mortals like Bane, Cyric and Mystra/Midnight

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  05:03:32  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with everyone here.. except faraer..no offense taken i hope
by the way, the Return should be written by lowder. and make him bring back gwydion! lowder for president!
later folks
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  10:36:05  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Morals aside..... FR fans are SCREAMING for Avatar #6 on Bane, how could this be a bad decision for WotC? There are many many novels out there which are based on evil and the likes, FR novels have become more geared towards adult audiences over the past couple of years anyway.

Bring it on!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  15:56:15  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

Morals aside..... FR fans are SCREAMING for Avatar #6 on Bane, how could this be a bad decision for WotC?

FR fans are screaming? Or FR online fans are screaming? I've seen more than a few threads requesting a novel centered around Bane. However, the online population only represents a segement of those who purchase FR novels. I'm not saying that fans outside the Internet would or would not be interested in such a product. But, it is a factor to realize that WOTC is no doubt aware of.
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  16:42:46  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i for one would love to se Bane as a human. And i must say that Ed would be best to writh the book i must say i did not really like what lowder did to Cyric i liked Cyric mouch better in troys book, not that he was bad in lowders tough.
Go to Top of Page

Adrian Moonbow
Seeker

Denmark
64 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2004 :  15:34:07  Show Profile  Visit Adrian Moonbow's Homepage Send Adrian Moonbow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, there were a few threads concerning this subject back on the WotC FR forum, and I chimed in:

It would be great to see an 'Avatar #6': "The Return of Bane"

They could, to some extent, make a 'gods'-series showing what goes on in the FR pantheon (Waukeen dis- and reappearing, Shar and her machinations,...)

"I would have wanted not to die.
I would have wanted never to grow up!"
-Quidam
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2004 :  16:58:07  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes that would be fun
Go to Top of Page

Maecenus of Westgate
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2004 :  18:10:03  Show Profile  Visit Maecenus of Westgate's Homepage Send Maecenus of Westgate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having just finished the final Avatar book, Crucible, I think a followup novel or series on Bane would be a great read! Although, i'd be less interested in the actual experiences of this God and more in the events that take place on Faerun, such as with his Chosen, Fzoul Chembryl.
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  12:13:24  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
reading about Bane as a mortal would be fun inded.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  12:34:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cyric, have you not read the Avatar trilogy...? That featured Bane as a mortal...well, sort of. An Avatar is the more correct interpretation, but it's probably as close as you are ever going to get...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  16:09:49  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, but I think he means....hmmm, actually, I'm not sure what he means. Care to clarify, Cyric?

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  20:18:17  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
he probably meant human, as the obvious thing a human is
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  21:57:26  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too have been screaming for this as wll.But Mask has to be in it too.It wouldn't be an Avatar novels without him in it.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  23:44:46  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oh i meant him as a mortal in they days when he onley dreamed about becoming a god and reading about his son and his dark past would be fun to
Go to Top of Page

Lord Nasher Alagondar
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  23:52:12  Show Profile  Visit Lord Nasher Alagondar's Homepage Send Lord Nasher Alagondar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, before he attained godhood. Well, that would be an interesting concept..... I would read it.....

"Very well, I am admittedly not as traditional in my methodology as you are. So what? The end result is all the same: target ceases to exist. If I happen to use a bit more flair, and a little less stealth to go about it, so be it. If drow were truly meant to skulk within the shadows, we'd not have stark white hair, now would we? Long gone are my days of creeping in the shadows and hiding in wait. Those means are for beings of a cowardly bent. We Bladesingers are risen above such dribble. So saying, it is boldly into the fray I shall go; if I should come to meet my maker, I will at least have done so with a sense of pride and dignity that your ilk will never truly understand. Now go back to hiding in your dark recesses, pathetic mewling...."~Vesz'aun Auvryath
Go to Top of Page

Adrian Moonbow
Seeker

Denmark
64 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  09:18:56  Show Profile  Visit Adrian Moonbow's Homepage Send Adrian Moonbow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The life of Bane, the man. His adventures with his 'friends' Myrkul and Bhaal. And, of course, their 'showdown' with Jergal, where they became gods (actually a quite fun story involving a pissed off Malar*).

The story then pops forward to Bane disappearing/dying, then Iachtu Xvim takes over for a chapter, and *BOOM*: He's back!

That would be a good story!

*: You do remember the story, right? From the 2nd ed box?

"I would have wanted not to die.
I would have wanted never to grow up!"
-Quidam
Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  11:29:46  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Accually I read it in BG and IWD, its is a book where their showdown with jerdan is. Tougth it was really funny, expesally would I like too see Myrkul as a human

Learn about the Ways of Vhaeraun .
- Check out my bio, majore update
- The Wanderers Quest

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000