Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 A question for Erik Scott de Bie.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  07:45:30  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello friend... Question about Trickster Touched. I have been using it since you and Costa created it. It is as chosen of Erevan as you can get, with one question... CR 1? Kinda weak from a Intermediate god. I have wanted to spice it up with a few more powerful "tricky", "luck", "Chaos", "Elf" aspects. Don't know where to start without a over-powered Trickster Touched. But it needs more than CR 1 even from the model you two created. Works great in game mechanics and flavor, but lacks the level to back up a chosen of the most sly elven god.

HELP???

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2013 :  06:44:18  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi CEV, sorry I didn't see your question earlier. For future reference, I have a designated thread for getting in touch with me: Questions for Erik Scott de Bie

Firstly, regarding the words "chosen" and capital-C "Chosen." In the Forgotten Realms, being "chosen" by a god (or noble lord or wise woman or cabal of evil wizards) simply means that god (etc) has some interest in you for some reason. You may be destined for greatness, a potent servant of that god, or that god might be randy and you look like you'd fall for the old shower of gold coins trick.

Being the "Chosen" of a god means something else. It means, specifically, that you are in some way that god's favored servant, beloved and blessed above all others. Mystra's Chosen actually split power with her--over and above other mortal servants, they carry a fragment of her that makes each of them basically a demigod. Fzoul Chembryl is called the "Chosen" of Bane, indicating that the Dark Lord has invested him with a certain amount of his divine essence. Or, at least, that's what the term implies. There may be other "Chosen" of other gods in this sense, but none others who are confirmed worthy of the title that I can name off the top of my head. My character Kalen from Shadowbane *may* be the Chosen of Helm (as much as a dead god can have a Chosen), but that's speculation.

As applied to this situation, a Trickster-touched creature is, emphatically, NOT a "Chosen" of Erevan. A Trickster-touched creature is just a mortal being Erevan has put his mark on, for whatever reason (or absolutely no reason). It is, basically "chosen" but not "Chosen." If there *were* a "Chosen" of Erevan, he or she would undoubtedly *be* Trickster-touched, but simply being Trickster-touched does not qualify one as a "Chosen" of Erevan. (It's like all chicken are birds, but not all birds are THE CHICKEN.)

Secondly, following that logic, the "Trickster-touched" is merely a template that adds +1 to the CR of whatever creature it is applied to, along the lines of "Celestial" or "Fiendish." It changes a base creature only a little bit--about as much as that creature would get from one character level. A Trickster-touched human is as much more powerful than a normal human as a tiefling is more powerful than a normal human. This does not mean that every Trickster-touched creature is a level 1, CR 2 creature. Apply it to a 17th level elf rogue/swashbuckler/shadowdancer, and you get a CR 18 threat.

If you wanted to create a "Chosen" (in the mechanical sense) of Erevan, you are more than welcome to do so. To me, it seems unlikely Erevan would have any logical reason to split his power in that way. For Mystra, it's because of practicality: if she were to die, then her Chosen could hold on to her power until she's ready to reclaim it, as has happened numerous times in the past. Also, I theorize she ascribes to the philosophy that no one source should have complete control over something universal like magic. Fzoul Chembryl is Bane's instrument in the Realms.

Thus. Trickster-touched is really not the template you should be looking at for a "Chosen" of Erevan. I suggest the actual Chosen template, which I believe can be found in some source in the 3e era . . . anyone have a reference?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2013 :  21:57:59  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

There may be other "Chosen" of other gods in this sense, but none others who are confirmed worthy of the title that I can name off the top of my head.

Cadderly Bonaduce is/was the Chosen of Deneir, though the link that takes you to the Chosen of Deneir is down.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  02:17:40  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah yes, Cadderly. There's one.

I believe a case could be made that the Lady Penitent was a "Chosen" of Lolth. But then, one can (and has) made the case that Drizzt is a "Chosen" (or "chosen") of Lolth. Who knows with her, right?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  12:23:18  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cale and Riven are (or where?) Chosen of Mask
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
571 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  14:13:23  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Supposedly, King Obould Many-Arrows was a Chosen of Gruumsh.

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2013 :  06:38:54  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, there you go. A "Chosen" is a favored servant who shares some of the god's power. Mystra was the first one to have "Chosen," and the word will always be associated with her first and foremost, but it's pretty clear that any deity *can* have "Chosen."

If you were to create a template for a "Chosen" of Erevan (and as I said, there may already be a "Chosen" template out there--there certainly is the equivalent in 4e), you'd probably be looking at massive bonuses to bluff and stealth-type skills, an inherent charisma and/or dexterity bonus, and spell-like abilities based on illusion magic (such as invisibility, projecting images, etc).

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000