Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Year 1486 (yes, another Sundering thread)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2013 :  20:13:49  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

What was Wulfgar's ill-fated wife's name?

She did stumble out into a snowstorm with a baby... she may not have been drunk, but she sure was as stupid as a drunk (and spent most of her life in a bar).

Delenia "Delly" Curtie.

She was a bar wench, with a heart of gold.

I didn't like that she waffled from flake to wise wifey and back so much.

(Only after I typed up this whole response did I realize that you were likening Delly to Snooki!)

At any rate, it was Khazid-hea that corrupted her. The sword made her take the toddler (not really a baby anymore, at that point) out into the winter weather. And the sword made her hand the child over to another woman (Cottie Cooperson).

quote:
One of the weirdest things RAS ever did: "I'm done with this baby... you guys can have it back now". Just really, really strange, IMO.....

He grew bored with his child?

Well, it's not exactly like he took her in as his own child in the first place out of boredom! He did it to spare her life from the tyrannical Lord of Auckney.

Yes, over time, he grew attached to her.

Remember, before he returned her to her birth mother, Wulfgar and Catti-brie did go out to Nesmé and retrieve the child from Cottie. Wulf didn't simply turn his back on the child or release her out of boredom or disinterest, but rather, he pursued her.

The problem, though, was that Colson reminded him of Delly, who had just died.

Delly was gone from Wulf's life. And Cat had just became a big item, for reals, with Drizzt, so she was absolutely no longer an option. Wulf had a lot of grief and heartache all around--and the responsibility of a baby (well, a 5-year-old child) in his lap.

That reminds me: Bob and his editors seem to have slipped up a bit when it comes to age continuity for the child, Colson. She was born at the end of The Spine of the World, which took place in 1365
through 1366 DR. She seems to have been born right around the vernal equinox, 1366. This means that she would've been a full 5 years old in "The Hunter's Blades Trilogy", set in 1371 DR. And she would've turned 6 in The Orc King, set in 1372 DR. But Bob never seemed to have stopped thinking of her as a baby!

In order to retcon this, I theorize that Colson may have been very small for her age, and possibly somewhat developmentally challenged. Regardless of her age, people may have felt tremendous sympathy for her, because of her condition, and continued to view her as "the baby" for quite a long time. If so, then this might've posed an even greater burden for Wulfgar, as a new widower. So he may have had that weighing on him, in The Orc King, as well.

Ultimately, what did it, though, was hearing all this nonsensical talk of peace with the orcs. That could not stand. Wulfgar could not abide by that. He had to leave Mithral Hall, and return to something more familiar, and less full of topsy-turvy emotions. He had to go back to Icewind Dale.

"I'm goin' back to ID, to ID, to ID . . ."

But is that a good place to bring a disabled little girl?

quote:
I know alcoholics are selfish, but that's pretty damn extreme (and for anyone who wants to comment on it not 'really' being his... you try raising a kid as your own for awhile and then giving it up). I was very... inhuman.

It could be argued lots of different ways.

Wulf could be said to be selfish for leaving the Hall and heading off to the Dale, and handing Colson over to her birth mother, Meralda, in Auckney.

But he could also have been said to have been selfish if he had taken the disabled little girl with him to the dangerous land of Icewind Dale, without a mother. Isn't that irresponsible and reckless? Wouldn't it be better for him to remain in the more temperate clime of the Hall, with the strength of the dwarf clan and the Companions to help out?

And it could be argued that it would've been selfish of him not to have handed Colson back over to her birth mother, when Meralda was a lady of a small fiefdom, with a well-to-do husband to help support them, while Wulfgar was very, very single.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 24 Feb 2013 20:19:24
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000