Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Items Alustriel would give a party for a trip?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

188 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2013 :  20:31:44  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
If Alustriel asks an adventuring party to travel to Citadel Felbar, what gifts would you expect her to give them to aid them in their travels? We're talking a level 2/3 party of 9.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2013 :  21:01:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It depends, in part, on what time of year it is, and why they're being asked to go.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2013 :  21:13:45  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
... and what they are asked and expected to do.

Really not sure why Alustriel would even ask such a low level party to take on a task for her. Maybe deliverer a message of little importance to test the nature of the party?

I would expect aid would tend to be mundane, a horse maybe a +1 dagger and a rune to guide the task. Oh food might be provided as well, some coin for travel. I would be shocked to see aid exceeding 3,000 gold value (and that is high).

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7978 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2013 :  21:22:15  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Low-level parties can do well with temporary (charged, one-shot, or disposable) items. I think it more likely they'd be asked to deliver items to their owners, but given permission to make use of them as necessary.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

188 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2013 :  21:38:20  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Maybe deliverer a message of little importance to test the nature of the party?

That is actually exactly what is happening :p
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2013 :  21:41:14  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alustriel is the kind who would gladly distribute items of the 'usefull, but not powerful' sort. Glow stones and the like.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  00:46:32  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Luggage?

But seriously... definitely a few healing potions; those always come in handy.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  05:59:23  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say healing potions and maybe something magical to put in a fire to keep the space around it warm and free of rain or snow for a period of 8-9 hours.

I'm curious where you're headed with this, Ozreth. Sounds like it'll be fun.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2013 :  06:10:11  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why would Alustrial even ask such a low level group to do anything but join her argent legion? Wait till they are all around 7'th or 8'th level. But, for your group I'd say a ring of communication. Some cloaking items and magical items of silence and stealth. Such a low level group should go about quiet and unheard or seen. Otherwise they could all be smashed by a mid-level enemy before the task is done.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2013 :  09:07:14  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A farewell kiss, for inspiration and general good cheer?

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2013 :  18:02:56  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something that I'm starting to use in my games (currently, v3.5) is non-magical items that still hold unique properties and value. For instance, using rare materials for weapons and armor (instead of the usual +1, +2, +3 stats they get). So the party's rogue might favor a masterwork Fever-Iron dagger or the dwarven fighter might enjoy a masterwork heavy blacksteel spiked shield with an augment crystal embedded at it's center.

Also, consumable items works out well too. Potions, Oils for weapons, and wands with low charges in them would seem best. A Wand of Magic Missile (CL 1st, 20 charges) is a fine item indeed for a low level adventurer.
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2013 :  13:18:40  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say Alustriel has the wisdom to look beyond a party's level of power when deciding they're the right adventurers for the job. As for gifts, I can't do better than what my fellow sages have suggested. Low-level magic, perhaps something with quirks or that allows Alustriel to easily track and 'ride the senses' of her intrepid travellers.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000