Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 tomb tapper challenge rating
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2013 :  15:19:38  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
hi everybody, just checked the tomb tapperentry again for somestuff i prepare.

is it onlymeor is the CR with 14 not massively too high????

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2013 :  23:31:54  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The tomb tappers in Lost Empires of Faerūn are CR 13, and that seems pretty in line with Table 1-1 in Trailblazer for calculating stats for monsters of different challenge ratings.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2013 :  01:25:01  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah sure, but the tomb tapper seems to be easilykillable by many variousmeans, compared to other monsters of this cr
Go to Top of Page

vorpalanvil
Seeker

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2013 :  15:25:37  Show Profile Send vorpalanvil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
back when I still ran 3rd ed I quickly found that cr is a very poor guide for encounters. Simple dming experience is still the best tool for the right difficulty of an encounter.

"I'm a busy man! I got places to go, monsters to kill!" attributed to 1st level bard
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2013 :  16:42:33  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thats what I meant. Depedning on situation, dragons in 3e are usually tougher than their CR states...
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2013 :  17:22:00  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you have an experienced group of players, or even 2 or more experienced players in your group, then I have found that you can easily throw and encounter level (EL) equal to the party level +1 or +2. I was just stating that the AC, HD, and Attacks lined up with the averages for a CR 13 monster.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000