Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2013)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2013 :  21:22:30  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.

NineCoronas, Ed justsent me this, re. your query about "Depraved Elves" (surface elves) worshipping Lolth:

Hi. Yes, it's certainly possible; all inhabitants of the Realms "believe in" all of the gods, and though elves of the surface venerating Lolth will be rare, Lolth would indeed enjoy corrupting elves of all sorts and welcoming them to her service. She'll have most success in subverting elves who are consumed with rage or grief because of events in their lives - - and those aching for power.

So saith Ed, and there you have it. Corrupt away!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2013 :  21:33:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
...and I'm back again, with an Ed reply for Marco Volo, re. this: "But "who knows what" about a location like Skullport? I assumed a majority of nobles knows but won't tell. Am I right?"
Here's Ed:

You're very welcome, Marco Volo.
As for Skullport, EVERYONE in Waterdeep "knows" about it. But what they know, for most individuals, is a wild mix of speculation and fanciful stories about some dark subterranean hellhole where beholders float above drow and mind flayers who are busy flogging human slaves plucked from Waterdeep in the dead of night - - and in many cases flaying the skin right off those slaves so they can be eaten alive. While dragons hatch and liches collect skulls to craft winegoblets from (and collect blood to make wine from). And so on.
A few traders, adventurers, Masked Lords, Palace officials, and nobles know more - - and more than a few City Guard and City Watch members know more.
The trick will be finding someone who knows a direct way down into Skullport without running afoul of those in Waterdeep who get VERY interested (in a bad way) in anyone asking about Skullport...

So saith Ed. Creator of Waterdeep, Skullport, and lots more.
love,
THO

Go to Top of Page

Khonger
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  01:16:35  Show Profile Send Khonger a Private Message
Hail, Ed and THO,
I'm curious about the Gulthmere Forest. I have only third edition's FR Campaign Setting handy, and that tome only includes a few paragraphs about the area. I find that I would love to know more.

What is there to tell about the tribes of Gulthmere, other than their veneration of Nobanion? How many tribes are there? What are there names and practices? What's their culture like?
I've seen somewhere (although I can't recall where) that the city of Cedarspoke holds some kind of religious significance. What is that significance?
Are there any other settlements in the area?

Something about this little section on the map is speaking to me. I think I might set a campaign there. What are the power groups in the region? What sorts of trouble might a band of adventurers get themselves into? Who/what should they be wary of?

Thank you for taking time to answer questions on this forum. I love checking the site every day or so to get my realmslore fix.

Khong!
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  04:37:47  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Hello THO and Ed,

I'm a bit spun around by the contents of page 99 in Swords of Eveningstar. On that page the characters Blaunel and Lathlan refer to each other as "Royal Scribe," yet further down the page Blaunel is described as, "Undermaster of the Rolls and Scribe Royal."

The two characters seem to know each other well, so I'm curious if they were just being glib with each other or if there is in fact a difference between a Royal Scribe and a Scribe Royal?

A few other questions:

What exactly is an Undermaster of the Rolls?

Like Blaunel does (or did) Lathlan hold any other court-related positions besides Royal Scribe?

Did either of these two men ever ascend to the post of Royal High Scribe of the Realm?

If a Royal Scribe lives long enough to retire, is there a demand for them anywhere else in Cormyr? Something they might retire into? I'm starting to wonder if nobles don't try to hire away or poach past-their-prime courtiers...

Thank you both, as always, for answering our questions and for keeping our imaginations very busy.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  06:56:24  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message
Thank you Ed and THO !
I dare asking for one quick "yes or no" answer about Skullport to Ed :

I assumed the libraries of Waterdeep are cleaned of books about Skullport ?
(the author will be slain in a tenday, isn't it ? Except if he sent adventurers get some information in place of him, right ? ;) )
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  15:40:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Since I should ask a question (because of my post below), and because Jeremy's post got me thinking: How does retirement work from Cormyrian offices? I would think that anyone who has any secretive knowledge of the 'inner workings' of Cormyr would be at the very least watched and kept tabs on (if they were even allowed to truly retire at all).

quote:
Originally posted by Khonger

Hail, Ed and THO,
I'm curious about the Gulthmere Forest. I have only third edition's FR Campaign Setting handy, and that tome only includes a few paragraphs about the area. I find that I would love to know more.

What is there to tell about the tribes of Gulthmere, other than their veneration of Nobanion? How many tribes are there? What are there names and practices? What's their culture like?
I've seen somewhere (although I can't recall where) that the city of Cedarspoke holds some kind of religious significance. What is that significance?

Something about this little section on the map is speaking to me. I think I might set a campaign there. What are the power groups in the region? What sorts of trouble might a band of adventurers get themselves into? Who/what should they be wary of?

Thank you for taking time to answer questions on this forum. I love checking the site every day or so to get my realmslore fix.

There is more info in the 2e product Vilhon Reach. Beyond that, not much - just a few scraps spread all over the place.

You may (or may not) be interested in This Conversion I did, placing the Five Shires (a non-Realms product also written by Ed Greenwood) into the Gulthmere region. Aside from the Five Shires material, the rest of the map is drawn completely from canon sources. THIS is the thread where we discuss it all.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Khonger
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  16:14:10  Show Profile Send Khonger a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Since I should ask a question (because of my post below), and because Jeremy's post got me thinking: How does retirement work from Cormyrian offices? I would think that anyone who has any secretive knowledge of the 'inner workings' of Cormyr would be at the very least watched and kept tabs on (if they were even allowed to truly retire at all).

quote:
Originally posted by Khonger

Hail, Ed and THO,

There is more info in the 2e product Vilhon Reach. Beyond that, not much - just a few scraps spread all over the place.

You may (or may not) be interested in This Conversion I did, placing the Five Shires (a non-Realms product also written by Ed Greenwood) into the Gulthmere region. Aside from the Five Shires material, the rest of the map is drawn completely from canon sources. THIS is the thread where we discuss it all.

Thank you, sir. I'll look into those things.

Khong!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  16:51:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. I bring you new lore from Ed, this time in response to Jeremy Grenemyer, who posted: “Hello THO and Ed, I'm a bit spun around by the contents of page 99 in Swords of Eveningstar. On that page the characters Blaunel and Lathlan refer to each other as "Royal Scribe," yet further down the page Blaunel is described as, "Undermaster of the Rolls and Scribe Royal."
The two characters seem to know each other well, so I'm curious if they were just being glib with each other or if there is in fact a difference between a Royal Scribe and a Scribe Royal?

A few other questions:

What exactly is an Undermaster of the Rolls?

Like Blaunel does (or did) Lathlan hold any other court-related positions besides Royal Scribe?

Did either of these two men ever ascend to the post of Royal High Scribe of the Realm?

If a Royal Scribe lives long enough to retire, is there a demand for them anywhere else in Cormyr? Something they might retire into? I'm starting to wonder if nobles don't try to hire away or poach past-their-prime courtiers...

Thank you both, as always, for answering our questions and for keeping our imaginations very busy.”
Ed replies:

Hi, Jeremy. You’re very welcome!
Both Blaunel and Lathlan are indeed scribes employed at the Royal Palace in Suzail. Further, they are “royal” scribes, in that they have signed a pledge to work lifelong for the Crown (so Markustay is right: because of the secrets they are privy to, they can never really “retire” and take employment elsewhere in Cormyr, though they can of course covertly depart the realm and start new lives elsewhere - - please note that if a scribe does this, Highknights will seek him or her, spy on them, and relieve them of any records they took with them; they may even kill them if they start to work with traitors to the Crown against Cormyr, for example aiding for pay an exiled noble family in treasonous activities). This is a two-way street: the “not retiring” means they have good food, good clothes, and comfortable shelter all their days, being relocated to what is in truth a nursing home (though it’s actually called Thornthar, on the north/east bank of the Starwater, due south of Gray Oaks; a sprawling, many-winged mansion owned by the Crown) when they can no longer perform their paid duties; they stop getting paid, but become full wards of the Crown (and can keep or spend any wealth they already have ).
In the service of the Crown, in Cormyr, there are underscribes, employed temporarily or on probation and not given sensitive work to do, and above them are the “lifers,” the pledged “Royal Scribes.”
When Blaunel and Lathlan called each other “Royal Scribe,” they were being jokingly formal, about the equivalent in tone of a real world citizen respectfully saying, “Mister Policeman, Sir” to a policeman. It’s the formal way of verbally addressing a full royal scribe, and would be used by a citizen, visitor, or envoy of another realm when dealing with a scribe at the Palace. However, both Blaunel and Lathlan have formal titles: their current position, and an honorific denoting their rank, which is “Scribe Royal.” If a herald was announcing them or a document mentions them, they will be described as “Scribe Royal.” They would sign documents with their signature, underneath it their name, underneath that their position, and underneath THAT, “Scribe Royal.”
Blaunel’s current position is “Undermaster of the Rolls.” This means he works on maintaining the “rolls” (official lists) of either citizens (their locations/addresses, properties they own, jobs they have and affiliations (such as guild memberships or pledges to the Crown, including notations of past or current military service or Crown employment), plus notes on which other citizens they’re related to, and how - - or the tax payments of citizens. Blaunel is the former; the OTHER (tax) “Undermaster of the Rolls” at this time is a woman hight Amaundra Duthwood, a fat, homely, sharp-tongued (to capture her manner, think of the attorney Caroline Julian [played by Patricia Belcher] on the TV series BONES) and VERY capable administrator who always remembers when and where she’s seen a name or face before, and who’s usually colloquially called “Undercoin” around the Palace to avoid confusing her with Blaunel (because she’s “Undermaster of the (Coin) Rolls,” the inertia of etiquette leaving her title “Undermaster” regardless of the gender of whoever’s currently filling the position).
An “undermaster” is simply the second-in-command in charge of maintaining the rolls in question, under a “Master of the Rolls” (both Blaunel and Amaundra have direct bosses, whom they understudy for two reasons: the Palace works around the clock, so when the Master is at home and asleep, the Undermaster is on duty; and if anything happens to the Master, the Undermaster takes over as the acting Master, usually until confirmed in the position formally as the new Master).
Lathlan’s current position is “Privy Amaneunsis To The Queen.” This means he is the personal letter-writer, decree- and document-preparer, and correspondence facilitator/archivist to Queen Filfaeril. Some of his predecessors in such roles have been the close confidants, message-runners, panderers, and even lovers of the royals they serve, but Queen Fee has ladies-in-waiting and a royal husband (and, secretly, particular Harpers) who are her confidants; she’s friendly with Lathlan and he gets to know a LOT more about her than, say, a Palace guard - - but they’re not intimate in any sense.
Neither Blaunel nor Lathlan ever ascended to Royal Overscribe (“Royal High Scribe” would be a verbal equivalent, like “Royal Scribe,” above). For much of their careers, that was held by Dlara Highshield, rumored (correctly) to be a bastard child of Rhigaerd II (the father of Azoun IV), a quiet, polite, self-controlled and exactingly correct and diligent woman devoted to the Obarskyrs.
And yes, nobles constantly try to entice away all sorts of capable Court officials to their own service. For years, the “big dodge” has been to install such individuals in rich apartments in Sembia (formerly in Westgate, too, but the popularity of that city has declined steadily as life there became more perilous, and Cormyr’s attitude to it has hardened), within reach but outside the Forest Kingdom - - but over the years, the truly capable have become harder and harder to entice, because nobles are notoriously fickle in their attitudes, whereas a good Palace job is seen as a sinecure.
And I seem to have answered Markustay’s latest question here, as well. :} Ah, my dread work here is (temporarily) done.

So saith Ed. Creator of Blaunel, Lathlan, the Royal Palace, Queen Filfaeril, and oh, yes, Cormyr.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  16:58:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And hello again, everyone.
I bring a shorter note from Ed, in answer to Marco Volo’s followup query: “I assumed the libraries of Waterdeep are cleaned of books about Skullport ?
(the author will be slain in a tenday, isn't it ? Except if he sent adventurers get some information in place of him, right ? ;) )”
Ed replies:

Hi, Marco Volo! There are very few formal books about Skullport, but there are all manner of cheap, swiftly-produced, lurid, sold-on-the-streets chapbooks about Skullport, usually colorful accounts of this or that adventuring band’s exploits. A few purport to impart partial maps, warnings about traps, and so on, and these swiftly disappear - - but the Yawning Portal and at least two “adventurers’ clubs” in the city have collections of them that can be perused for a fee.
The PUBLIC libraries of Waterdeep (deposit collections endowed by the Palace and by wealthy benefactors, usually nobles who like to place books that show nobility in a good light) contain nothing useful on Skullport, because any tomes with anything more than a passing referene get stolen. Fast.

So saith Ed, creator of Waterdeep, Skullport, and so on.
Love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  17:03:03  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message
Thanks both of you for the answers about Skullport and Cormyr

Edited by - Marco Volo on 24 Jan 2013 17:04:23
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  17:24:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
A pleasure, sir! May you enjoy the Realms forever! (As I intend to. Though I don't, of course, know how long I'll manage to make "forever" last, in my personal case.)

Marco Volo and all, here's a relevant tidbit of gratuitous Realmslore from my notes (made during play in Ed's "home" Realms campaign):

Mapseller in Suzail, small cluttered belowstairs (down from street level) shop just south of the Promenade: Lareskar Anamonder. Amiable old guy with huge muttonchop side-whiskers, monocle on ribbon, cluttered shop with maps hanging from clips like tapestries, big table piled with flat maps heaped one atop the other. Has some sort of guardian that we couldn't see, but that slithered. Palace scribes know him and deal with him.
Saw a partial map of the riverbank part of Skullport, but Anamonder warned it was "very old and out of date."

There. A snippet of Edlore, filtered through me.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  18:00:28  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message
I have two campaigns going on, one "travel" placed in Cormyr and one "urban" located in Waterdeep, so what you add is great help !

I've not finished to offer my french players always more of gaming sessions in the Realms.

And sorry about my english if I don't always make myself clear.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  19:54:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
No apologies necessary! Your meanings have always come through clearly.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  19:57:11  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Wow that's a lot of information! Thank you very much Ed and THO for passing that along.

Looks like I have some work to do then, and happily.

EDIT: a quick question: the December 2011 Eye on the Realms article in Dragon 406 mentions a "Aldegrand Tallfyre, Royal High Scribe of the Realm"

If I understand it correctly, Aldegrand is (in his day) the Royal Overscribe? And he would sign documents as "Royal Overscribe" and not "Overscribe Royal"?

Oh man, I'm confused again. Sorry. Could you help me get untangled here?

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 24 Jan 2013 20:11:35
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  21:01:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Thank you both - that is some very good information. My mind is already considering the (adventuring) possibilities revolving around a 'retirement home' for old officials (which I would imagine would include an ex-spy or three).

@THO - you've known Ed a long time - does everything he say come out sounding like an adventure hook?

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

<snip> ...whereas a good Palace job is seen as a sinecure.
A good 'palace job' {snicker}... you sure that isn't something you get from a Pleasure Queen?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  22:46:25  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. No, that's a Sleeve Job.
(Robert Nye MERLIN literary reference.)
Re. everything Ed says coming out as an adventure hook: Pretty much.

And yes, the retirement home is a very interesting place. Here are Ed's notes re.why:

Some of the inhabitants are wandering in their wits and can be quite talkative but not all they say can be trusted, others know Secrets that could shake the realm, more than a few pay younger relatives very well to keep them supplied with news and to handle investments for them (all over the realm, and beyond), and the cellars of the house, which store large amounts of food (including pickled preserves) and medicines, are rumored to also store something else (the tales vary, but the truth is: a large armoury, ever since the war with the dragon in which Azoun IV perished).

So saith Ed. Priming the pump of adventure everywhere...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  23:00:23  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And hello again! I just got a surprise e-mail from Ed, for Jeremy, re. these: "the December 2011 Eye on the Realms article in Dragon 406 mentions a "Aldegrand Tallfyre, Royal High Scribe of the Realm"
If I understand it correctly, Aldegrand is (in his day) the Royal Overscribe? And he would sign documents as "Royal Overscribe" and not "Overscribe Royal"?"
Ed replies:

The Eye article is about the (century-some later) Realms of "today," when Blaunel, Lathlan, and Dlara are all long dead.
By Aldegrand's time [he's the third successor of Dlara, who BTW had children, one more example of all the illegitimate royal-blood folk running around Cormyr that recorded history tends to overlook), the title of the office has changed from "Royal Overscribe" to "Royal High Scribe."
Aldegrand would sign formal documents "Aldegrand Tallfyre/Royal High Scribe of Cormyr" and informal Palace "dailyscrip" (memos) simply as "Tallfyre."
Except as passing references in my novels (and some of my past articles on the Wizards website), published Realmslore seldom delves into the endless nuances and complications of how the Royal Palace operates daily, and the constant intrigues woven through that life. I have run mini-campaigns for middle-aged women (and a few of their young daughters), who wanted nothing at all to do with killing monsters, stealing, seizing treasure, running afoul of traps, or open brawling of any sort, that were set in the Royal Palace and centered on the veiled threats, inferences, accusations, and deceptions of the endless jockeying for power among the courtiers. They loved it, because they'd seen so many television historical dramas about Henry VIII and his court and succession of wives that they felt at home - - and because that sort of warfare can be just as gripping as the sword and the spell, if done right.

So saith Ed. The "tall Tyrion" of the Realms, when he feels like it.
love,
THO

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  23:04:52  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Aha! Thank you for that, THO (and Ed).

For what it's worth, those nuances are starting to get their hooks in me. Now to set all this down in a way that makes it clearer than mud.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2013 :  07:17:29  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Yet another question arises from a review of your responses, Ed: would it be correct to say that Dlara's job description differed little from Aldegrand's, in that she's responsible for coordinating all documents, save for Privy and Dark documents?

Or was there anything else she was (or wasn't) responsible for that would be worth noting?

Thank you both.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 25 Jan 2013 07:21:41
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2013 :  17:02:54  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Jeremy, here's a reply from Ed:

Hi. Aldegrand and Dlara have ALMOST the same job. The only difference was that by Dlara's time, a new role, Keeper of the Royal Purse, has been created to take care of paying Crown officials and the military, and the Keeper signed the "Crown writs" (employment contracts) for each individual on the payroll - - whereas in Aldegrand's time, he had to sign them all.

So saith Ed. Another tidbit of useful Realmslore for us all.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2013 :  19:05:28  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Am really enjoying all the Scribe Lore - thanks Ed for sharing and Jeremy for asking

Cormyr thread updated

Kind regards

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2013 :  01:24:49  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
That was pretty cool THO and Ed. Thank you.

The existence of the Keeper of the Royal Purse leads me to wonder if Amarune Whitewave has ever been called upon to duplicate that courtier's particular signature (knowingly or not)?

Turning in a different direction: are there any words in Loross, Chondathan or even Thorass that means "quick to burn" or "flammable" or, conversely, "good clean air" or "healthy air" that either of you can share with us?

I got an idea for an oxygen absorbing moss that grows along the edge of Lake Thalmiir after reading the entry for Plungepool on page 126 of Volo's Guide to Cormyr. The moss, when burned, can really jumpstart a fire or, when submerged in boiling water, produce an effect similar to a humidifier, but I want to give the moss a fancier name than "Brightburn Moss" or "Fastflame".

Thank you both again. It's been a fun day of creating Realms stuff here at home.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 27 Jan 2013 05:55:52
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2013 :  07:46:48  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO,

I’m catching up on collecting Realmslore from the last four months’ Eye on the Realms articles and have some questions inspired by those articles.

RE: The Awakener of Golems

The widely read daily in Athkatla called Andrelm’s—is it printed in the Common tongue?

The other daily that was quoted as saying the golem debacle touched off “settling-scores skirmishes”—is it printed in the Common tongue? What is its name?

RE: The Sword of Spells

The article implies that Matriarch Maerele Oromanche of Mosstone has no siblings beyond her three much younger brothers. Did (or does) she have any sisters? Barring that, any female cousins she’s close to?

Can you tell us anything about what the Oromanche and Alkaether families trade in primarily that’s allowed them to rise in prominence? Perhaps something unique to their locations (Mosstone and Velen, respectively) that they’ve monopolized or capitalized on?

Without actually naming anyone, can you tell us if there are Wizards of War who’ve survived an attack by the Sword of Spells? If yes, do they still serve the War Wizards?

Are their any war wizards who’ve been slain by the Sword of Spells (perhaps trying to catch it on Ganrahast’s or Vainerence’ orders)? If yes, could you tell us their names?

RE: The High Priest of Beholders

I just have to ask: has Ulchaice ever approached members of the Xraunrarr for recruitment? Or are the Xraunrans so good at hiding that not even the Daethan know of their existence?

Do beholders in the Realms give names to their languages? If yes, can you give any hints to the name of the language used to create “Daeth Haeromm”?

Would a Xraunran be likely to know the etymology of words like Daeth, Haera and Haeromm?

Does the beholder word “sarruin” come from a modern beholder language?

RE: Clan Harhund and Dead Dwarf Mine

The beholder cult known as the Faithful of Xarlhoun seem like they’re right in the Daeth Haeromm’s back yard. Are you at liberty to confirm whether this cult is fronted by a Daethan beholder?

If it isn’t, does Ulchaice have any plans to visit this group or its leader in the future (assuming he’s aware of the cult)?

Thank you in advance for answering this latest battery of questions.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2013 :  18:09:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Ed is hard at work on something Realmsian he can’t say more about yet, but will soon have a reply for Chosen of Asmodeus. He was able to answer Jeremy Grenemyer’s recent queries without looking into his voluminous back lore, so here are those Ed replies, interspersed with Jeremy’s questions for clarity:

JG: The existence of the Keeper of the Royal Purse leads me to wonder if Amarune Whitewave has ever been called upon to duplicate that courtier's particular signature (knowingly or not)?
Ed: Not that I know of. Yet. :} Though I can certainly see it happening, under the right circumstances. So, as a DM, by all means feel free . . .

JG: Turning in a different direction: are there any words in Loross, Chondathan or even Thorass that means "quick to burn" or "flammable" or, conversely, "good clean air" or "healthy air" that either of you can share with us?
Ed: My language files are VERY fragmentary, but here’s what I have that’s relevant:
Loross: rehleld (=easily ignited or ready to burn fuel); eldarra (=danger of fire, overcooking, or scorching); summluth (=breathable, not stinking, pleasant aroma or welcome breeze)
Chondathan: tahorst (=tinder-dry); behruin (= swift-burning/good fuel); haelhar (=welcome wind or breeze or needed air); glorlukh (=foul); naeglorlukh (=not-foul, nor harmful, not unpleasant)

JG: The widely read daily in Athkatla called Andrelm’s—is it printed in the Common tongue?
Ed: Yes.

JG: The other daily that was quoted as saying the golem debacle touched off “settling-scores skirmishes”—is it printed in the Common tongue? What is its name?
Ed: Yes it is, and it’s called “Coincradle Life” (referencing an internal city nickname for Athkatla, “the Coincradle”).

JG: The article implies that Matriarch Maerele Oromanche of Mosstone has no siblings beyond her three much younger brothers. Did (or does) she have any sisters? Barring that, any female cousins she’s close to?
Ed: In descending order of age, Maerele’s sisters are Olora, Emruelle, and Haladeira. She has two female cousins: Jhassala and Nurimbrue.

JG: Can you tell us anything about what the Oromanche and Alkaether families trade in primarily that’s allowed them to rise in prominence? Perhaps something unique to their locations (Mosstone and Velen, respectively) that they’ve monopolized or capitalized on?
Ed: Nothing unique. Both families have prospered by importing a wide array of quality wares from Baldur’s Gate and Waterdeep that were hitherto available only in their locales rarely, and at ruinous prices. In other words, they’ve become discerning couriers of “the good life from afar” where their neighbors previously only had access to a handful of overpriced goods brought by peddlers and a few caravan merchants (the latter are usually in haste to get past or through Mosstone or Velen, on their way to make fairer coin in larger markets). The Oromanches have made their biggest profits and most steady trade on good wines and liqueurs, good cheese, and scents, whereas the Alkaethers have done best importing superior tools and architectural adornments (from door locks and handles to fancy windows) long common in Waterdhavian building, but unknown in the Velen peninsula.

JG: Without actually naming anyone, can you tell us if there are Wizards of War who’ve survived an attack by the Sword of Spells? If yes, do they still serve the War Wizards?
Ed: See below.

Are their any war wizards who’ve been slain by the Sword of Spells (perhaps trying to catch it on Ganrahast’s or Vainrence’s orders)? If yes, could you tell us their names?
Ed: So far as I know, the Sword of Spells hasn’t attacked any War Wizards. Yet.

JG: I just have to ask: has Ulchaice ever approached members of the Xraunrarr for recruitment? Or are the Xraunrans so good at hiding that not even the Daethan know of their existence?
Ed: No, Ulchaice hasn’t, not having been able to discover how to contact them. The Daethan have heard of the Xraunrarr, and have been (cautiously) searching for them and trying to learn more about them, but have achieved little, thus far.

JG: Do beholders in the Realms give names to their languages? If yes, can you give any hints to the name of the language used to create “Daeth Haeromm”?
Ed: Yes. The beholders of Faerûn formally call that older language Uibilaqthraxx, “the True Tongue.” Their swifter and simpler language of today is Quevquel, or “Speech” (distinguishing it from mental communication).“Daeth Haeromm” is in a name in Uibilaqthraxx.

JG: Would a Xraunran be likely to know the etymology of words like Daeth, Haera and Haeromm?
Ed: Yes.

JG: Does the beholder word “sarruin” come from a modern beholder language?
Ed: Yes, it’s a word in Quevquel, but like many words in Quevquel, is descended or borrowed from a similar word in Uibilaqthraxx: “lurl’uk’lok’lahassarruin.”

JG: The beholder cult known as the Faithful of Xarlhoun seem like they’re right in the Daeth Haeromm’s back yard. Are you at liberty to confirm whether this cult is fronted by a Daethan beholder?
Ed: Yes, I am - - and yes it is. :}

JG: If it isn’t, does Ulchaice have any plans to visit this group or its leader in the future (assuming he’s aware of the cult)?
Ed: See above. (Yes, Ulchaice is aware of it.)

So there you have it; more lore from Ed. Thanks, Jeremy; good questions.
Love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2013 :  21:26:29  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
I'm going through old stuff, as I'm wont to do, and I have a few queries regarding the High Council of Tantras. I'm thinking mainly of 1357 to about 1365 DR, but earlier/later lore is cool too. As always, my apologies if any of these have already been answered.

FR Adventures says there are 17 members: the high priest of Torm and the heads of sixteen noble merchant families. However, only 12 families are listed as part of alliances. Lucky number 13 is Ormitar, the family whose head is in charge of the city guard.

Who are the other three families?

Did anything drastic happen to any of these families during/after the Godswar?

In checking Faiths & Avatars for any mention of Barriltar Bhandraddon, I instead found that the high priest as the TOT began was named Tenwealth. Barriltar was Tenwealth's successor, then?

Just how old are these old merchant noble families? Have any/all of them been around since Tantras became a city?

We know about Lassalar, but who are the other 15 heads of these families?

What's the local terminology for a head of family? (Lord/Lady, Patriarch/Matriarch, Grand Poobah, ...)

What's the title for a member of the High Council? Is the High Priest addressed differently than the heads of family, in his role as a member of the High Council?

More bluntly, regardless of title, does the High Priest have a different amount of authority or receive a different amount of respect than the other members of the High Council? Is he ever included in the alliances between the heads of family?

How overt are those alliances? Do they last generations, or mix and match depending on the relations between current heads of family, or (even more freely) depending entirely on the issues on the High Council's agenda for a given day?

Are there other (presumably less influential?) "noble merchant families" in the city, in addition to the 16?

Are there other prominent longstanding families of Tantras which are either noble or merchant, without being both?

How about nearly noble? Or is nobility in Tantras defined purely in terms of um... merchant-ness? (mercantility? extortionossity?)

Can you share anything with us regarding the goals/philanthropy of any of these families? Which ones are likely to regard adventurers with positive versus negative interest?

That seems like more than enough questions for one post. I hope you're thoroughly enjoying whatever you're working on. Thank you again for sharing your coffee breaks with us!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2013 :  22:17:34  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, again, all.
xaeyruudh, I’ve sent your questions off to Ed, but from my notes I can tell you the names (nothing else, I’m afraid) of those three “missing” families: they are the houses of Blackdolphyn, Dlarembur, and Klaethyn.
And so far as I know, none of the major families of Tantras was exterminated during the Godswar, or since. Oh, and yes, there are other major merchant families who aren’t noble - - increasing numbers of them as the 1400s unfold, but with the same tensions Waterdeep has: the existing noble families don’t want anyone new recognized as “noble,” regardless of wealth and real mercantile and local social power.
More from Ed, when he can . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2013 :  22:50:23  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Thank you THO! Perhaps you can answer my addendum as well... on the map of Tantras that came with the FRE2 adventure, location #14 says "Villas and mansions of the rich and noble" ...on the map, I see two 14s... one north of the harbor and one south.

The northern 14 is in the northwestern most part of the city. The southern 14 is just south and east of the Sea Tower.

Are all sixteen families of the High Council clustered along the coast of the Reach? This is logical, since it's the area furthest from the packed and noisy Market.

How tight is the southern cluster of villas? Am I correct in including all the loosely spaced buildings west of Thirlpost Lane and south of Whistleturn Way? Or perhaps including the block north of Whistleturn, minus the long narrow building immediately next to the Sea Tower which is surely one of the Barracks indicated by label 20?

On a barely-related note, though this has undoubtedly been asked many times before... how do clergy/followers of Torm react to Torm (of the Knights?) Does he ever order them around? ("Because I'm Torm, and I said so" seems like something he could say, while seducing an adventurous young acolyte)
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2013 :  00:17:18  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Ed and THO I know you can't see this but I'm jumping up and down in my seat right now. Those answers were so awesome! Thank you both very, very much.

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2013 :  01:30:53  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

I'm jumping up and down in my seat right now. Those answers were so awesome! Thank you both very, very much.

I know that feeling. I feel like a kid at Disneyland every time THO posts.

Many thanks to both of you, and to everyone else who's been part of building this whole crazycool theme park.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2013 :  14:12:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
LOL - I think many of us share that feeling (especially when Ed goes on and on about something we only expected a single-word answer to).

At Xaeyruudh - I am not Ed (and am looking forward to his answer... although I'm pretty sure he has covered this topic before), buuuut...

IMO, it would like me meeting someone in the RW named 'Jesus' (*pronounced Hey-suess when I have encountered this). I didn't feel compelled in the least to listen to them (any more so then anyone else).

Just saying....

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 37 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000