Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2013)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  01:48:44  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message
Perhaps something akin to Demonreach in the Dresdenverse?

http://dresdenfiles.wikia.com/wiki/Demonreach

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association

Edited by - Kris the Grey on 10 Aug 2013 02:59:50
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  03:01:11  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bionic Man

Hi, Ed! A couple questions.

1. How many prisons are in the realms? Would you be willing to discuss any of them here?
2. Are any of the prisons run by the clergy of a particular church?

Thanks!

There are a lot of local prisons, usually a few cells in a dungeon or a garrison, mentioned in various Realms books.

There is at least one regional prison that I am aware of, that being the Cloister of St. Ramedar. It is the premier secure prison and sanatarium in Tethyr and run by monks of Ilmater. Its remote location and the 700-foot sheer cliff outside the prison cells deters successful escapes.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  15:44:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kris the Grey

Note: Bit of a spoiler in that link, if you're not caught up on the series.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 10 Aug 2013 15:45:38
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  16:16:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Note: Bit of a spoiler in that link, if you're not caught up on the series.

It's probably a good thing I so far behind in my reading of the series, that I didn't even really know what to worry about with this.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2013 :  16:18:01  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message
'Tis good to see there are so many HCD lovers about! Harry (and not Potter!) is my favorite modern wizard. Since I know the site is thick as thieves with his fans, I'll be more cryptic in my future references to him! Lol.

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  07:06:15  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Hiyas! My newest query is regarding Even's Gulf, at the north end of the Easting Reach. I haven't seen it in any sources other than Karen Fonstad's Atlas and the electronic atlas. Neither of them seems to cite any specific sources for it, so I'm guessing maybe it's from the legendary original handdrawn maps?

What remains unsaid about Even's Gulf?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  13:01:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

'Tis good to see there are so many HCD lovers about! Harry (and not Potter!) is my favorite modern wizard. Since I know the site is thick as thieves with his fans, I'll be more cryptic in my future references to him! Lol.

You forgot one of his middle names.

Ed, Lady Hooded One? Have either of y'all read the Dresden Files?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  16:01:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Great.

Now I'm thinking about an alternate version of the Wizards' Three, that has our Old Sage of Shadowdale meeting up with both Dalamar and Harry Dresden.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  17:28:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

Great.

Now I'm thinking about an alternate version of the Wizards' Three, that has our Old Sage of Shadowdale meeting up with both Dalamar and Harry Dresden.

Oh, gods! Dalamar meeting Harry Dresden? That would be so much fun to read!

Bob would be all about wanting to meet the Seven Sisters, too. Hmmm, Bob and Syluné...

Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  17:34:47  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message
There ya go! That's my choice to add to the Wizard's Three - Harry Copperfield Blackstone Dresden (I left out the Blackstone last time as I thought it was the one name Percy didn't know, you never know when demons might be lurking on your forum, Lol).

And yes, I bet Bob would ADORE the Seven Sisters - especially Storm (not that he'd be choosy about any of them...well maybe the Simbul would remind him to much of Mab, Lol).

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  17:37:04  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
Folks, I have it on good authority that Ed is already on his way south of the Great White North for Columbus' Thurber House Sundering event, and thence to Indianapolis. I'd expect silence (or as near as makes no matter) for the next week, while our bearded friend attends Gen Con. I trust he will have much to share on his return.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  17:41:51  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Cool, hope everybody there has fun!
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  20:00:42  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message
Guess I'm going to have to read these Harry Dresden novels. Now don't stone me to death, but this is the first I've heard of him.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  21:18:02  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And I'm trying (but this year, probably failing) to stretch my offsite work to include, ahem, downtown Indianapolis during the next few days.
So my Net silence and speech will be as sporadic as Ed's...but I can say this much: we've both read the Dresden series, and Ed was a panelist as usual this year at Ad Astra (he's been GoH there twice) and Jim Butcher was one of this year's Guests, so they got to meet. Ed found him to be a great guy, of course.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  22:18:30  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message
My wife came across Kazakhstan Pentagram on google maps today and it got me to wondering: In Faerun, what interesting images, similar to the Nazca Lines, might a flying or spelljamming creature see below?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2013 :  03:58:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

And I'm trying (but this year, probably failing) to stretch my offsite work to include, ahem, downtown Indianapolis during the next few days.
So my Net silence and speech will be as sporadic as Ed's...but I can say this much: we've both read the Dresden series, and Ed was a panelist as usual this year at Ad Astra (he's been GoH there twice) and Jim Butcher was one of this year's Guests, so they got to meet. Ed found him to be a great guy, of course.
love to all,
THO

Ed met Jim?

Interesting. I would be keen to learn what was briefly verbally shared between the two during Ad Astra.

Ideas abound, I would imagine!

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2013 :  11:07:09  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message
Greetings THO and Ed. I'd like to ask for a simple clarification about the relation between the elves and the Weave.

I'm aware that they are strongly linked, but is this bond so strong that elves can be considered part of the Weave?

If so, did they pay the consequences of the Spellplague more than other races?

Thanks for your time and disponibility.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2013 :  19:01:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Was/is Yhalvia on Abeir?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2013 :  10:47:13  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message
Uh, i'm a little fuzzy after emerging from the study of all the previous Ed scrolls (and i even "messed up" the order by going 2013-2012-2004->2011) but ...

... has the author of "Filfaeril, Bound and Willing" been guessed yet?

Right now it seems to me the guessing died sometime in the 2010 scroll without an answer. Was it moved to another scroll?

And now a question for Ed:

Another "divine" one i'm afraid: do some deities make (or have made) bets on the duration of the various Mystras lives, on their demises and eventual come-backs? If yes, who has won more times so far (thinking 1480s)?
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2013 :  01:41:50  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message
Okay another question for Ed/THO. We are discussing whether or not drow have their own version of Bladesong in this thread: [urlhttp://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15024][/url]

If I am correct, the notion of the bladesong style did not actually originate in Realmslore but the question is, do drow ever learn the bladesong techniques (either their own version of it or the original). Or is it absolutely the province of sun/moon/copper elves?

Please note, we aren't asking if drow are capable of learning it, just if they have any tradition close to it.

Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2013 :  03:42:06  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message
Dear Ed/Hooded One,

I've noticed several questions about the relations of technology and magic and Gond and Mystra recently. I have several questions concerning Gond and his, or his followers, disposition on magic in general.

It is to my understanding that Gond servants, most of them, do not disdain magic at all but simply try to accomplish engineering feats without the use of magic. However, his closest followers do have and use magic via Divine Spells. How does the magic of divine casters of Gond mesh with their views and technological advancements? What of arcane casters? I am sure there must be plenty of wizards looking to meld magic and technology as one. Would you say the realm of Lantan is very steampunk in its environment or more similar to the Eberron campaign setting?

I also remember, from 3E Magic of Faerun, a sect of gnome servants known as Artificers, that create "contraptions" that perform a variety of effects similar to magic (and with the added benefit of working just fine in dead magic areas), but in order for their contraptions to work they had to rely on the quasi-real effects of Shadow magic for the effects to manifest from their contraptions. Is this one of those exceptions to the church as a whole? I take it there might also be a sect of Gond entirely against the use and reliance on magic, despite their fellows use of it (especially the Clerics of the church)?
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2013 :  18:58:29  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
A Yes/No question! I'm not good at these because I try to attach too many details, so I get excited when I find one.

Does the Saiyaddar of 1357 DR coincide with the Shaddan Hills of c. 100 DR?

Edit: upon a fresh examination, no. The Shaddan Hills were west and south of what's now the Saiyaddar. So now I suspect that the Lion's Eye Oasis sits on top of the Shaddan Hills.

This raises another question. I had previously assumed that The Secret Place in the Sands was Araugul/Goblinmount, but with the above in mind that can't be the case; Araugul must be west of the Secret Place.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 20 Aug 2013 19:29:10
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2013 :  19:05:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
The physical map from the Anauroch product perfectly overlaps the ones from the Netheril box - sized precisely the same, so you can see exactly where everything used to be. If you have both - and a glass table you place a lamp under - you can learn all kinds of cool things.

The seas are little strange, but some retroactive canon sleight-of-hand fixed all of that.

You can see the Shaddan Hills on the Cormyr map done by Mike Shley for 4e (parts of which were extracted from my own maps of the Stonelands).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Aug 2013 19:08:31
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2013 :  19:05:26  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
...And what were the Shaddan Hills called before the reign of Shaddara?

I don't see the hills on the Netheril maps... were they created in the upheaval of the Fall?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2013 :  19:10:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Not sure - I edited the above post, BTW.

A lot of 'things' in the Stonelands were not there before the fall of Netheril, so the Hills could very well be debris that has been covered-over by time and the desert.

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2013 :  19:53:08  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

The physical map from the Anauroch product perfectly overlaps the ones from the Netheril box

The FR13 map was the first thing I grabbed after gasping in several minutes of pleased shock at the beautiful Netheril box maps. I too was quite happy with how a lot of things lined up. And very disappointed that no other 2e maps benefited from a similar level of artistry.

Unfortunately the Shaddan Hills aren't on the Netheril map, and they're only on the inset of the FR13 map (which lacks a scale bar) so their placement has to be eyeballed as best as possible from the few reliable landmarks (Orolin, the Desertsmouth Mountains and --I mistakenly believed-- Araugul).

quote:

You can see the Shaddan Hills on the Cormyr map done by Mike Shley...

This is a pretty map, but since it's based on the 3e warp it's useless for placing anything on an earlier (i.e., real) map. Unfortunate, because I'd love to have a Schley map of my Realms, but I can't get on board with a revision that moves and removes slices of the Realms.

To illustrate my point, that 4e map puts the Shaddan Hills level with or slightly south of Tilver's Gap... which is a solid 100 miles south of where they should be.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 20 Aug 2013 20:31:26
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2013 :  04:04:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I don't like issuing pesky reminders, folks, but can we try and limit the side-chatter, or at least redirect it to another scroll?

Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2013 :  05:18:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
You can consider this 'side chatter'?

Seriously?

Hmmmmmmm....

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2013 :  06:47:32  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Hi Ed. First of all, I hope you had a good time at GenCon. One of these years I'll get out there, but I couldn't make it work this year. Sigh. Anyway, hope it went well.

I got in a sort of introspective mood this evening and came up with a question regarding 5e that I hadn't really seen addressed. I'd sort of like to get the opinion of some of the WotC designers, but I don't know their contact info, and I don't know if they'd respond. So instead I figured I'd toss out up here instead, and ask what your opinion on the matter is.

The question is: I have a setting, the Forgotten Realms, that I have loved for going on twenty years. It is a setting of people, of places, of history, of atmosphere. It is where all my games are set, and where they will always be set. I will never use the 4e time jump or Spellplague changes. They removed three out of the four of the things that made the setting great, and the fourth, history, is the same for each.

For the same reason, I do not read novels from the 4e timeline. All of the characters I followed are gone (with the exception of Drizzt and Elminster, and I stopped reading Drizzt books years before 4e). Worse, so is the setting, leaving the books that followed in a different world that is of no interest to this Realms fan.

Given all of that, is there any reason I should be interested in 5e?

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2013 :  16:14:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

You can consider this 'side chatter'?

Seriously?

Hmmmmmmm....

I only meant in terms of it making things difficult for my compilation efforts. It's often easier for me to skim from one of Ed's reply to the next when there aren't so many exchanges in-between.

I apologise if this reminder ruffled any feathers, Markus.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 37 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000