Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2013)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2013 :  08:47:18  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Hello THO and Ed,

Some questions about theft and Mask follow, inspired by watching the BBC television show Sherlock:

Theft of valuables is nothing new in Cormyr, but when it comes to truly grand heists of Crown, Noble’s, merchants, priests and/or wizard’s valuables, who would you say are the top five thieves/masterminds/individuals or groups that have operated in Cormyr, within the last two hundred years (or further back in time, if someone/s truly awesome come to mind)?

Of these, are any remembered as legendary such that they’ve spawned long-lived bard’s tales, phrases or new words, and otherwise outlived in memory whatever wave of slow-moving caravan traffic that brought word of their deeds to wider Cormyr? And did Mask have a hand in any of their successes?

Speaking of Mask: he seems to value ownership of things, but amongst his faithful, when it comes to promoting his sphere of influence, is the business of stealing non-objects (loyalty, hearts, virginity, courage, resolve or ideas) part and parcel of what Mask is/was?

Have there ever been any obscure branches of Mask’s faith that deal in the theft of things very real and valuable that can’t be held in one’s hands?

If yes, has the priesthood of Mask ever prayed for, developed (themselves or through outside agents) or received from Mask the means to collect, capture or bottle these sorts of things (thus making them something you can possess)?

And are their collectors in the Realms of such things as a dragon’s courage or a king’s resolve? Have any wizards, priests, nobles, monsters or monarchs of, or residing in, Cormyr suffered such thefts?

Just as Elminster went around the Realms leaving magic items where such could be found by those with a talent and ability to learn the Art, did Mask (before his recent fall) direct a select few of his most devoted servants to behave in a similar, overt manner so his portfolio might be advanced?

E. g. a courtier—him/herself 100% devoted to Mask—leaving a door unlocked to ease a thief’s way into a palace room after the courtier had a dream vision the night before of that thief failing to unlock the door and subsequently dying at the hands of palace guards who spotted him?

Thank you both, very much.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 04 Jan 2013 09:06:02
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2013 :  19:06:11  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message
Greetings Lady Hooded One and, of course, Ed.

My considerably better half, (yes, she IS watching me type- Ow!) is currently planning a Downton Abbey style PBEM of the Raventree family of Waterdeep, circa 1368. She'd love to know more about the family, especially Galinda's relationship to and with Nandos and Sarakh and who their most prominent servants are if that's at all possible to share.

Thanks and best wishes to you both.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2013 :  19:19:55  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BlackAce

Greetings Lady Hooded One and, of course, Ed.
especially Galinda's relationship to and with Nandos and Sarakh and who

ooooh more lore about Galinda is most welcome, (got to love a girl who goes to a noble revel wearing only her new boots )

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2013 :  19:29:56  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message
lol, Damien, you've made my fiancee blush; she's going to play Galinda!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2013 :  19:40:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. We'll have to see what Ed can share re. the Raventrees.

Hi, Zandilar! Glad you're enjoying Ed's most recent trilogy; I know he had a lot of fun writing it. Re. Ulath Thereman, I'll prod him into giving you a reply, but I know (or at least my notes of what we learned in play with Ed tell me) that Deepingdale has six-year terms for their lords, and that Thereman (grave, just, gentle, and so well-respected) has won three in a row, the middle one uncontested/"acclaimed."
We'll see what Ed can add to that . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2013 :  19:43:37  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Hmm. I've read what little there is about the Raventrees in FR1 and the various City of Splendors boxes. I wasn't aware that they'd been covered anywhere else in published Realmslore. Have they, or is the little I know about in the sources cited above all there is (before the hoped-for flood of new Edlore, that is)?
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2013 :  20:02:01  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message
No there isn't anymore beyond the brief gazetteer references in various WD products, hence our query.

IIRC Crazed's "nowt but boots" reference is from a scene featuring Galinda in Elaine Cunningham's novel Elfshadow.

Edit: Oops no, sorry, that's actually from VG to Waterdeep. Although Galinda is in the novel.

Edited by - BlackAce on 04 Jan 2013 20:15:06
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2013 :  22:01:29  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BlackAce

lol, Damien, you've made my fiancee blush; she's going to play Galinda!

Didn't happen unless its filmed and shared........

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  00:44:42  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
Hi, Zandilar! Glad you're enjoying Ed's most recent trilogy; I know he had a lot of fun writing it. Re. Ulath Thereman, I'll prod him into giving you a reply, but I know (or at least my notes of what we learned in play with Ed tell me) that Deepingdale has six-year terms for their lords, and that Thereman (grave, just, gentle, and so well-respected) has won three in a row, the middle one uncontested/"acclaimed."
We'll see what Ed can add to that . . .

Thank you! :)

So, it seems he's popular. Which makes me wonder if anyone is plotting against him, either out of jealousy or perhaps influenced by forces outside of the dale... Hmm... could make for some interesting hooks.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  01:53:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Its the Forgotten Realms... of course someone is plotting against him!

There's also plots against his wife, his kids, his cousin in Baldur's Gate, his cat, the guy who own the Inn, the town drunk, etc, etc...

And there are least ten different clandestine groups and villains plotting against the plotters, and so on, and so forth (and they are ALL being watched by someone, who doesn't know they are also being watched by yet another, ad infinitum).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  02:21:17  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message
Ok, so while I wait for my other waterdeep-related questions to be answered, I'll go ahead and ask the big one.

I have a character plotting to infiltrate one of the noble houses of Waterdeep; a powerful house with a fortuitously heir-less noble in the twilight of his life. Well, lacking a direct heir, at any rate- he has nieces and nephews.

The character is a tiefling, and by good fortune he has evidence that the noble in question had an affair with a tiefling in Baldur's Gate several decades back. He happens to be the right age to pose as the bastard product of this affair- he isn't, and there likely wasn't one to begin with, but the noble doesn't know that.

The plan is to introduce himself as the noble's bastard son, and charm his "father" into naming him heir of the house. To accomplish this he plans on using forged documents- diaries of the noble's mistress, birth certificates or other papers establishing himself as her child, things like that; he's extremely skilled in forgery, and has several alchemical supplies to help sell the effect, including properly aged paper and ink. His plan on avoiding magical detection mainly relies on the fact that detect and locate spells no longer function in waterdeep- the story taking place in the late 1470s- but just in case, he does have the support of a fairly powerful wizard and sorcerer(the latter being an adventuring companion, the former being his party's patron/benefactor) to hopefully counter and subvert any magical discernment taking place outside the city.

Now, the question is, what, in your opinion, is the viability of this plan? Are there any additional hoops to jump through I may have overlooked? Assuming he succeeds, what do you think the fallout would be from a tiefling becoming the head of a major noble house would be?

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Chronos
Acolyte

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  10:00:28  Show Profile Send Chronos a Private Message
Dear Ed, THO and all at the Keep, firstly Happy New Year. I am currently mulling beginning a new campaign based around Olostin's Hold and was wondering if Ed or THO had any information on the Hold and its Lord as I have not been able to find anything beyond what is mentioned in The North and Volo's Guide. Obviously I shall include my own details but anything from you would be very welcome. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkfeather
Seeker

Brazil
64 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  19:01:36  Show Profile Send Hawkfeather a Private Message
Greetings, Ed and THO!

I'd like to know about the funeral rites from the Silvanus's clergy. How do they buried their druids/priests and worshippers?

My fisrt thought is that they simple don't buried them at all. Instead, the corpses would be let to rot in the wildlands. Is this correct?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  20:49:45  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
No, no, Markus, you've got it wrong: it's his cat who is plotting against him. The only question is: is it his actual cat, or has someone taken the poor kitty's form? (and are they holding it for later ransom?)

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  21:38:23  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. Well said, Hoondatha.

Hawkfeather, you're quite right: the bodies of clergy of Silvanus are left to rot "in the open" (after a consecrating prayer).
The corpses of druids are laid to rest amid/beneath the roots of an oak tree, if possible, or a "forest giant" (huge old tree), preferably of duskwood or blueleaf varieties (but the "big and old" trumps species, every time), if no oak is available.
Other clergy of Silvanus (i.e. priests who are not druids) are often laid to rest in glades (small clearings in the depths of forests), or may even be placed in crotches/clefts in trees or "up" in trees, where large boughs branch off the trunk (any sort of tree, oak preferred).
Lay worshippers of Silvanus, unless zealots dedicated to the god, are of course worshippers of all the deities (no monotheism in the Realms), and are usually buried in the shade of a tree or trees.
(This comes from notes I made after recent discussions with Ed.)

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

dravenloft
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  23:30:29  Show Profile  Visit dravenloft's Homepage Send dravenloft a Private Message
The question RE Sylvanus' burial methods made me wonder just what it might be that Sharessin clergy might do for the dead.

Try as I may I can't seem to imagine what that might be like.

Space Opera, Planetary Romance, Speculative Fiction and similar by me.
check it out at http://universal-nexus.com
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2013 :  01:46:48  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Sharess? I'll see if I can get Ed to share anything on that.
He DID just send me an e-mail re. my Silvanus burial post (which I forwarded to him), adding this:

The key feature, for any burial of a creature dedicated to Silvanus, is that an acorn be placed in the mouth of the deceased (or introduced into a body cavity if the head is missing). In many cases, the body really does feed a new oak sapling.

So saith Ed. More new Realmslore for us all.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2013 :  02:22:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Dwarf: "uh-UH!"
Halfling: "No way!"
Elf: "I think not..."
Human" "Oh, come on guys, our buddy was a druid... someone's got to shove an acorn up his...."

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Hawkfeather
Seeker

Brazil
64 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2013 :  02:22:24  Show Profile Send Hawkfeather a Private Message
Thanks Ed and THO!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2013 :  18:51:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Hawkfeather, you're very welcome.
I bring the words of Ed to Zandilar, re. the Lord of Deepingdale (more often referred to as "the Lord of Highmoon" in daily speech, my notes tell me).
Heeeere's Ed:

Hi, Zandilar! Always great to hear from you. Here we go . . .

Deepingdale thrives most on two things: being the “gateway to the Dales” for Sembians who don’t want to risk the hardships of long, dreary, dangerous forays into “the howling northern wilderness” where any sort of monster could be lurking behind every tree - - and being a shopping window for the Dales, into the splendors and variety of shining goods available in Sembia.
Or to put it another way, the dale thrives on trade, as peddlers and Dale carters and farmers and caravan coster buyers and Sembian “smallcoiners” (family or individual entrepreneurs) all congregate to buy and sell in the warehouses and shops and the wagonworks of Highmoon. That wagonworks is an important repair depot not just for wagons, but for all manner of broken or worn-out goods (plough needs new blades? Anything [sleighs, sledges] needs new runners or wheels?
Fresh fruit (mainly apples, but also gooseberries and the like) and vegetables, trained horses and oxen and mules, lumber and tree oils, all from the Dales, and almost everything else (notably lanterns and lamp oils, fine tools and pots and pans, fine textiles and finished garments, fine footwear and hats and cloaks) from Sembia, or at least from the traders of Sembia (who bring in goods from all over the world for Sembia, the smallcoiners seeing the Dales as the “forgotten market” on the way to the Moonsea that’s theirs to exploit).
All of which means Deepingdale balances on the proverbial swordblade between thriving as the place it is because of its proximity to Sembia, and trying to avoid being swallowed up by Sembia and losing its independence. This loss of sovereignty is a very real fear, considering the number of Sembians resident in Highmoon, the propensity for Sembia to hire mercenaries whenever the Zhentarim or anyone else is rumored to be on a war footing and send them on regular patrols along the trade road that’s the spine and lifeblood of Deepingdale (not to mention taking over local inns to house them, which is a garrison in all but name), and the Sembian habit, every few generations, of buying land, erecting a grand and fortified mansion on it, and installing a “governor” therein, unheralded to locals before his first proclamation, to “rightfully govern” the place.
So although the folk of Deepingdale have many family ties and daily trade relations with Sembia, and owe their (relative to other Dalesfolk) wealth and lifestyle to their proximity to Sembia, they tend to see themselves as Dalefolk under “friendly siege” from Sembia, rather than Sembians-in-waiting or different from the folk of neighboring Dales (with the exception of Archendale, but then most Dalefolk consider the Arkhen a “difficult, amoral-at-best warrior breed different from the rest of us”).
Deepingdale wants to keep its independence without being as difficult or warlike as the Arkhen, so they need a strong leader who is a reasonable and just diplomat, a “do something” (rule locally, capably and well, giving no Sembian any reasonable pretext for sending in Sembian-paid troops to keep the peace or administer Sembian law in a Sembian style) rather than a “do nothing” person.
In other words, they don’t want or need a warcaptain or a blusterer - - and greatly fear getting someone Sembia can bribe (the primary reason they long ago decided they would have an elected lord, not a hereditary ruling line they could do nothing lawful about, the moment Sembians buried every member of it in gold coins and corrupted them utterly). In short, the folk of Deepingdale need something just shy of a living saint.
And in Ulath Thereman, they just might have found it.
His mother was an elf who ranged through the woods in the first half of the 1300s to keep anyone from occupying ruined Myth Drannor, and his father, Korond Thereman, was a local miller and carriage-builder, grave and thoughtful, who sold maps as a sideline (and was quite likely a Harper friend). Ulath grew up in a household where a certain quiet, lone sort of traveler was always welcome - - the sort who brought new maps for the Theremans to copy, and news from all over the Realms. Ulath grew up listening well and seeing master “gentle manipulators” at work, and became one himself. He has two younger sisters who left Deepingdale with elves to range the forests, but has no desire to travel the Realms himself: he sees his place as being the rock that holds Deepingdale steady, as the rest of the Realms travels through it. Because he has always discussed matters with his neighbours, over maps of the world, most of the non-Sembian-import elders and business owners in Highmoon see him as having an “insider’s understanding of what’s going on, all over the world” of the sort they believe great kings must have. They have heard how he sees things and reasons, and so they KNOW he has the interests of Deepingdale at heart and that he fiercely defends its independence and that it must do its own policing and have its own laws . . . so they trust him.
Therefore, he keeps getting re-elected lord of the dale. He beat a blustering old local farmer who championed joining Sembia “for all the money” to gain his first term, ran unopposed for a second six-year term, and ran against a hotheaded local youth openly sponsored by Sembian interests the third time around. (Popular local entertainment in Highmoon these days is watching for signs of Sembia preparing to covertly sponsor a candidate in Thereman’s fourth election, and how they’ll try to go about it without getting caught at it.)
Ulath serves as Deepingdale’s judge and chief administrator, the man who hires and fires its lawkeepers and the man who makes spending decisions. In all of this, he discusses matters openly with any citizen who cares to arrive in the room with the table strewn with maps, and talk about anything with him. The folk of Deepingdale respect him, and many of them love him: he has become one of the foundation-stones of their world.
None of which means Deepingdale isn’t a simmering cauldron of plots and counterplots, as every last smallcoiner seeks to gain more local influence and “an edge” over rivals, and more distant and powerful Sembian interests look to take over Deepingdale without their control becoming known in Cormyr or the rest of the Dales (various high-ranking Sembians have in the past tried to take over almost all of the Dales, in various one-at-a-time schemes . . . and various Dales have shipped the bodies of the agents sent by those high-ranking Sembians back to those high-ranking employers, sometimes accompanied by mocking bills for the butchery and cleanup - - and these years of attempted expansion have brought blunter warnings from Cormyr, Hillsfar, and Zhentil Keep of what will happen if Sembia is ever foolish enough to openly annex anything more than it’s already taken (in the words of one of Azoun IV’s warnings: “Sembia’s drive, prosperity, and mercantile successes are shining examples to us all. These achievements have been largely possible because Sembia has in the main avoided costly warfare. An avoidance that cannot continue if Sembia’s expansionist ambitions overcome its vaunted good sense. Just as Sembia itself cannot continue to exist if ever its neighbours feel overly threatened by Sembia’s attempts to expand, and decide to do something about it.”)
Most of Ulath Thereman’s time is spent ruling Deepingdale well to give its citizens the feeling of living in a relatively safe, pleasant, bustling place; in other words, to make being of Deepingdale worth something, and so worth preserving. The rest of his time is spent blunting and frustrating various Sembian plots (often with the covert aid of Harpers, some local adventurers and energetic merchants, a handful of genuinely “friendly” Sembians who don’t want Deepingdale’s independence to ever end or its character to be overwhelmed so it becomes a part of Sembia in fact if not in name, and a few Cormyrean Highknights and other agents).
Thereman has been so successful in his rule that much of the daily plotting and scheming in Deepingdale these days is directed at getting the best deals and having the most influence within the ever-shifting cabals of merchants, within local trade - - NOT in trying to bring down or subvert Deepingdale’s government, any more. Those who want the dale conquered are waiting for Thereman’s death.
For his part, Thereman sees his best insurance against assassination in the same thing that will lead to the brightest future for Deepingdale: a strong group of successors, all friends and all born and bred locals, who will carry on after him (and his mother, who remains behind the scenes but his most trusted confidant, advisor, and lurking bodyguard). As he once put it: “If there are too many quality folk dedicated to a bright future for Deepingdale for foes to kill them all without killing all Deepingdale, my work will have borne fruit. Deepingdale is its folk, and a common dream they will fight for - - not fences, fields, houses, and road signs.”
(BTW, Deepingdale’s borders are marked by two stone cairns beside the trade road, each graven simply with the Dale’s name. Highmoon itself is heralded by no signs at all.)

So saith Ed. And there you have it: Zandilar's answer and our first in-depth lore look at the politics of Deepingdale.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2013 :  20:47:46  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Happy New Year Ed,

I see the towering NDA monolith before me but I will try nonetheless or hope to bypass it like this. Ed in your mindseye realms would the goddess of magic have manipulated the Imaskari global spell of no one being able to "think" about them to allow certain of her Chosen to be aware of the spell and exempt from it's power? Did she in anyway influence areas within or on Faerun that also made this spell ineffective in that particular location or did the Imaskari just one of the most awesome spells ever?

Somehow I'm assuming they managed to fold, bend or place their existence being recalled or spoken of in a series of lesser-GREATER spells that some fire off together to achieve the effect of bypassing all manner of mortal or deity interference.

Or somehow attached the spell to the very weave itself under the same concept maybe as Truename magic, hiding their existence within the very obscure knowledge of deities TRUE names and such thus ensuring the deity themselves would have to expose that power of their own name if they sought to expose the Imaskari's existence?

:Looks up at the monolith still unmoving and waits.....................

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2013 :  20:52:13  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
One more NDA probable question, in your minds-eye realm is their any entity or object or element that totally negates all manner of magic/psionic, supernatural ability, life and undeath even....a ONE thing that pretty much nullifies the functioning of pretty much everything within it's influence or if touched? Just makes all things inert.
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2013 :  23:14:58  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by dravenloft

The question RE Sylvanus' burial methods made me wonder just what it might be that Sharessin clergy might do for the dead.

Try as I may I can't seem to imagine what that might be like.

From Ed on Oct 24, 2005

quote:
Sharess: no crypts or embalming. Priests embrace the dead in a ‘last intimacy’ (that need not be more intimate than a kiss while the living cleric’s arms are wrapped around the corpse), and the corpses are then animated in a Firedance spell, to cavort in air above a pyre, which is then lit to consume them (so they dance as they crumble into ash, “dancing on air” no matter how much they’ve crumbled, rather than collapsing as a Dance of Death spell allows)

(btw, in the same post he also mentioned ones also for Chauntea, Helm, Kelemvor, Lathander, Lliira, Selune, Tempus and Tymora)
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  10:27:51  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
<snip>
So saith Ed. And there you have it: Zandilar's answer and our first in-depth lore look at the politics of Deepingdale.

Wow. Thank you so much, that was very enlightening, and gave me some ideas and enough hooks to last a whole campaign! (My poor players... muahahaha! )

But I also have some more questions...

Does Ulath's father still live? Does he have a spouse and children or fosterlings? And who would be some of those he's cultivating as successors?

Lastly, is there anything you can say about his relationships with Teesha Than (the monk of the Old Order who took over Rhauntides's tower and turned it into a monastery) and her Order, and Danali the Indexer and the church of Oghma?

Thanks again!

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

JohnLynch
Learned Scribe

Australia
243 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  11:00:22  Show Profile Send JohnLynch a Private Message
Well after searching the forums I haven't been able to find the answer so I thought I'd ask it here. If this has already been covered sorry, and could you point me to it?

Hi Ed! First time question for me.

Lantan is well known for being a nation of inventions and the like. This all came to the fore when Gond manifested on the Lantan islands as a gnome during the Time of Troubles. I was wondering if you had any notes on what Lantan was like before the ToT or (if it's an easier question to answer) how was it changed by the ToT?

I'm presuming that there would have been temples to Gond before the ToT. But I'm curious if they dominated Lantanna society as much pre-ToT as they seem to post-ToT

Thanks
John

DM of the Realms: A blog for my Forgotten Realms adventures.
Go to Top of Page

PaulBestwick
Seeker

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  13:49:29  Show Profile Send PaulBestwick a Private Message
I hope the new year finds you well Ed and you to good Lady.

A query from my self after a couple of years quiet since my Great Dale query. I return to ask about coinage in particular. I am looking for details of 1370's coins like to be in circulation amongst the population of the eastern Great Dale and possibley with the Nar's tribes to the north of this area.

In additon what coinage was in circulation in Netheril at the end of the Empire when Karsus brought the house down as it were? Tenuous link I know, but remains of Jiksidur are why I want to know this last nugget of information
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  18:37:41  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
Ah, Jiksidur... how many of us would love to see some lore on this old enclave of Larloch's.... and why it was floating near Narfell during that empire's age.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  18:53:13  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Happy New Year Ed,

I see the towering NDA monolith before me but I will try nonetheless or hope to bypass it like this. Ed in your mindseye realms would the goddess of magic have manipulated the Imaskari global spell of no one being able to "think" about them to allow certain of her Chosen to be aware of the spell and exempt from it's power? Did she in anyway influence areas within or on Faerun that also made this spell ineffective in that particular location or did the Imaskari just one of the most awesome spells ever?

Somehow I'm assuming they managed to fold, bend or place their existence being recalled or spoken of in a series of lesser-GREATER spells that some fire off together to achieve the effect of bypassing all manner of mortal or deity interference.

Or somehow attached the spell to the very weave itself under the same concept maybe as Truename magic, hiding their existence within the very obscure knowledge of deities TRUE names and such thus ensuring the deity themselves would have to expose that power of their own name if they sought to expose the Imaskari's existence?

:Looks up at the monolith still unmoving and waits.....................

Thanks

You might get a little better of a response if you made this a little bit clearer. I'm reading through it and going "what is this guy talking about?". Is there a particular minds eye article you're interested in? The sentences aren't necessarily complete or grammatically correct, etc... (please understand, this is not meant to be a bash... I read what you wrote and was intrigued enough that I wanted to go find an article... only I couldn't make sense enough of it to figure out what special spell you were referring to).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  22:32:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
To Paul Bestwick, re. coinage of and in the Great Dale: we Knights rescued a drunken merchant in Telflamm who was from the Great Dale, and Torm found a lot of triangular (arrowhead-elongated, not equilateral) beaten copper coins with trade-symbols stamped in them. Unfortunately, that's all I noted down, so we'll really have to see what Ed says.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  23:26:27  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message
Good afternoon THO,
I just wanted to say that I love when you pipe in with your own notes from your sessions as one of the Knights. I too take a lot of notes during our gaming sessions. And now when the guys at the table make fun of me for writing so many details down, I know I am not nuts (in the bad way).

I do have a question for you. Do you keep them in a particular fashion so you can reference them later? Did you ever go back and clean up/expand on what you noted?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 37 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000