Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Leira, n'maerlyn myl mar'kov
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2013 :  23:22:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Can I say Leira, specifically, will be brought back after the sundering (2.0)? No, I cannot.

What I can say is that the statement "all the gods will be available for play" was made during the Gencon seminars. If you combine that with the other things said at the seminars (concerning the Sundering, and the direction of the Realms), then is highly likely that Leira will be one of the deities reinstated. I would be willing to bet that every deity that has died since the OGB will be back (ones that died before the published setting began... who knows?)

I do not see it as highly likely, for the reasons I've already stated. If we bring back all the deities killed just since the OGB, that means we wind up with two concurrent deities of death, two concurrent deities of magic, and a lot of invalidated story lines -- which is something they also said would not happen.

No, I think it's what I said earlier: the deities that went into the blender with 4E will come back out, whole and untouched. Anything else will create more problems than it solves.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2013 :  00:17:19  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Deities can never truly be killed in D&D. They might be forever forgotten, condemned to an eternity of drifting the astral as an anonymous lump of stone ... yet still there is always a chance they can be reborn or reawakened when some other planar being needs access to their power or some mortal stumbles upon an ancient relic or even when a bunch of mortals accidentally reinvent a lost religion. True, they might have very different manifestations and limits upon their power, especially if their power was seized by another upon their death.

So a plausible in-game mechanism already exists for any "dead god" to be restored to some semblance of their former power.

But which gods come and go, and why? Many are redundant, most are unmemorable and largely insignificant in practice (adventuring!) ... how often do PCs interact "directly" with divine NPCs? It's already at the point where you can hardly swing a dead halfling around without hitting a god, the size of the crowd is a bit intimidating. Sometimes I yearn for a Realms where a player won't agonize for hours when weighing the advantages of this kind of priest vs that kind of cleric.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2013 :  02:07:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't take the status of the Leiran illusion on the moon as complete proof that Leira herself still lives. After all, we know that the illusion was still up during the massive divine/arcane disruptions of the Time of Troubles.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11809 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2013 :  05:37:09  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I wouldn't take the status of the Leiran illusion on the moon as complete proof that Leira herself still lives. After all, we know that the illusion was still up during the massive divine/arcane disruptions of the Time of Troubles.

ToT came before spelljammer lore, so the concept that the moon was under an illusion hadn't been invented yet. That being said, during the ToT many spells continued to work fine (granted, some went wonky, but I'd "bet" that on a percentage basis it was only 1-5% of the ongoing effects that suddenly freaked.... now new magic, that was another issue). Considering also that the more "powerful" the effect the less likely it was affectedby the ToT (given that powerful spellcasters were less likely to fail their spells), I wouldn't be surprised that an illusion spell cast by a god didn't fail.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000