Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Ghosts
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2012 :  19:57:00  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi...

After trying to understand the writeup of ghosts in MM1 3,5 I must now turn to my good friends of this forum.

How does it work? When the players encounters it, how if possible, du they fight it? And can the ghost actually hit te PCs with its weapons??

Thanks

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2012 :  12:43:06  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Won't magical or silver weapons hurt them?

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2012 :  12:46:05  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also you can damage a Ghost with priestly spells or holy weapons.
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2012 :  18:36:54  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But what can a ghost do to a corpereal creature???
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2012 :  19:32:27  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Attack: A ghost retains all the attacks of the base creature, although those relying on physical contact do not affect creatures that are not ethereal.

Full Attack: A ghost retains all the attacks of the base creature, although those relying on physical contact do not affect creatures that are not ethereal.

Damage: Against ethereal creatures, a ghost uses the base creature’s damage values. Against nonethereal creatures, the ghost usually cannot deal physical damage at all but can use its special attacks, if any, when it manifests (see below).

Special Attacks: A ghost retains all the special attacks of the base creature, although those relying on physical contact do not affect nonethereal creatures. The ghost also gains a manifestation ability plus one to three other special attacks as described below. The save DC against a special attack is equal to 10 + 1/2 ghost’s HD + ghost’s Cha modifier unless otherwise noted.

Corrupting Gaze (Su): A ghost can blast living beings with a glance, at a range of up to 30 feet. Creatures that meet the ghost’s gaze must succeed on a Fortitude save or take 2d10 points of damage and 1d4 points of Charisma damage.

Corrupting Touch (Su): A ghost that hits a living target with its incorporeal touch attack deals 1d6 points of damage. Against ethereal opponents, it adds its Strength modifier to attack and damage rolls. Against nonethereal opponents, it adds its Dexterity modifier to attack rolls only.

Draining Touch (Su): A ghost that hits a living target with its incorporeal touch attack drains 1d4 points from any one ability score it selects. On each such successful attack, the ghost heals 5 points of damage to itself. Against ethereal opponents, it adds its Strength modifier to attack rolls only. Against nonethereal opponents, it adds its Dexterity modifier to attack rolls only.

Frightful Moan (Su): A ghost can emit a frightful moan as a standard action. All living creatures within a 30-foot spread must succeed on a Will save or become panicked for 2d4 rounds. This is a sonic necromantic mind-affecting fear effect. A creature that successfully saves against the moan cannot be affected by the same ghost’s moan for 24 hours.

Horrific Appearance (Su): Any living creature within 60 feet that views a ghost must succeed on a Fortitude save or immediately take 1d4 points of Strength damage, 1d4 points of Dexterity damage, and 1d4 points of Constitution damage. A creature that successfully saves against this effect cannot be affected by the same ghost’s horrific appearance for 24 hours.

Malevolence (Su): Once per round, an ethereal ghost can merge its body with a creature on the Material Plane. This ability is similar to a magic jar spell (caster level 10th or the ghost’s Hit Dice, whichever is higher), except that it does not require a receptacle. To use this ability, the ghost must be manifested and it must try move into the target’s space; moving into the target’s space to use the malevolence ability does not provoke attacks of opportunity. The target can resist the attack with a successful Will save (DC 15 + ghost’s Cha modifier). A creature that successfully saves is immune to that same ghost’s malevolence for 24 hours, and the ghost cannot enter the target’s space. If the save fails, the ghost vanishes into the target’s body.

Manifestation (Su): Every ghost has this ability. A ghost dwells on the Ethereal Plane and, as an ethereal creature, it cannot affect or be affected by anything in the material world. When a ghost manifests, it partly enters the Material Plane and becomes visible but incorporeal on the Material Plane. A manifested ghost can be harmed only by other incorporeal creatures, magic weapons, or spells, with a 50% chance to ignore any damage from a corporeal source. A manifested ghost can pass through solid objects at will, and its own attacks pass through armor. A manifested ghost always moves silently. A manifested ghost can strike with its touch attack or with a ghost touch weapon (see Ghostly Equipment, below). A manifested ghost remains partially on the Ethereal Plane, where is it not incorporeal. A manifested ghost can be attacked by opponents on either the Material Plane or the Ethereal Plane. The ghost’s incorporeality helps protect it from foes on the Material Plane, but not from foes on the Ethereal Plane.

When a spellcasting ghost is not manifested and is on the Ethereal Plane, its spells cannot affect targets on the Material Plane, but they work normally against ethereal targets. When a spellcasting ghost manifests, its spells continue to affect ethereal targets and can affect targets on the Material Plane normally unless the spells rely on touch. A manifested ghost’s touch spells don’t work on nonethereal targets.

A ghost has two home planes, the Material Plane and the Ethereal Plane. It is not considered extraplanar when on either of these planes.

Telekinesis (Su): A ghost can use telekinesis as a standard action (caster level 12th or equal to the ghost’s HD, whichever is higher). When a ghost uses this power, it must wait 1d4 rounds before using it again.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2012 :  21:43:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keep in mind, also, that some ghosts can physically manifest to affect the material world. Also, there is the ghost touch special weapon quality -- info below courtesy of the SRD:

quote:
Ghost Touch: A ghost touch weapon deals damage normally against incorporeal creatures, regardless of its bonus. (An incorporeal creature’s 50% chance to avoid damage does not apply to attacks with ghost touch weapons.) The weapon can be picked up and moved by an incorporeal creature at any time. A manifesting ghost can wield the weapon against corporeal foes. Essentially, a ghost touch weapon counts as either corporeal or incorporeal at any given time, whichever is more beneficial to the wielder.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2012 :  23:14:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, powerful magical items (I'm thinking artifact, or in the 3e parlance, at least a lesser artifact) can be used by ghosts in the same manner as if they were alive - there is an example of this in Realms of the Dead.

The female warrior was just a spirit, but she carried a very real magical sword, which she was able to loan to a mortal (because it was a real, physical item and not just a part of her). Thus, a powerful magical (non-ghostly) weapon in the hands of something incorporeal can do real damage.

This makes sense, because such items can do damage to ghosts, so they must exist in multiple dimensions at once. If it can touch a ghost, it must mean a ghost can touch it (and use it) as well.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2012 :  08:11:30  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe i read that book but cannot remember this character. What was her name?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2012 :  17:58:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ash of Procampur.

I just looked at that story again - IIRC she was alive some "200 years ago", so that would make her a hundred years dead in the 1e/2e/3e era (because the story takes place in 4e).

It also wasn't a sword - it was an amulet that she lent out. She also wasn't a ghost - "More a living memory of what I was then an actual spirit" - so I was was wrong on two counts. Still, the amulet was the actual amulet and not part of her, which is why she was able to give it to a 'real' person.

However, the theory remains the same - if something can touch (and be used against) a ghost, then the same item should be able to be touched by a ghost and used by them. That means if you go ghost-hunting, don't let go of your magic sword.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Oct 2012 17:59:31
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2012 :  19:55:06  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The special attacks of ghost, is there a 50% miss chance on them, against non-etherial, just as with magical weapons?
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  11:23:45  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah yes now i remember. Thanks for clarifying Markustay.
Go to Top of Page

Andrekan
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  03:08:37  Show Profile Send Andrekan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't there some Possession. I remember a Dragon or Dungeon Article long ago that dealt with a ghost, a boy, whom the only way to be rid of him was to resolve his horrific end. If the Players were not going to help, he possessed one of the group and added information and direction. For some reason, it seemed like the adventure dealt with the Rod of Seven Parts, but I can't remember the subject. Once some critical points to resolve his trauma were met, the ghost was set free. I don't remember the Edition only the wonderful story.

"Those two talk only of drink, riches, women, brawling, and magic, so ye've a one in five chance..." Quote from "Elminster in Hell"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000