Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Favorite Realms Product
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

9thChapter
Learned Scribe

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  18:26:34  Show Profile  Visit 9thChapter's Homepage Send 9thChapter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is the Malazan series worth the listen on audiobook too? Might supplement the thickness in page flipping with commute time audio.

Fantasy author of The Rithhek Cage series

http://darrentpatrick.com/the-rithhek-cage-trilogy/
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  21:44:40  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've listened to "Gardens of the Moon" (the first book) and I found it..well, it was all right I guess but nothing awesome. These books really demand your complete attention so I find them best to read. They are kind of hard to explain, but I'd rather listen to this amazing and amazingly complex series than not having experienced it at all :)
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  22:18:31  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

I've listened to "Gardens of the Moon" (the first book) and I found it..well, it was all right I guess but nothing awesome. These books really demand your complete attention so I find them best to read. They are kind of hard to explain, but I'd rather listen to this amazing and amazingly complex series than not having experienced it at all :)

I would definitely recommend someone READ this series versus listening to it. I lost count of how many times I stopped mid-paragraph to piece something together. This would be a little more difficult while driving and messing with your car stereo.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 18 Mar 2013 22:18:49
Go to Top of Page

NetDiver
Acolyte

Finland
11 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  18:44:09  Show Profile  Visit NetDiver's Homepage Send NetDiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

I would definitely recommend someone READ this series versus listening to it. I lost count of how many times I stopped mid-paragraph to piece something together. This would be a little more difficult while driving and messing with your car stereo.

I'll second this. But then again, I prefer reading books. Steven Erikson unfolds the story of the Malazan Empire and his world little by little. He also demands a bit more from his readers than your average fantasy writer as the cast is huge and Erikson isn't afraid to kill off notable characters in the story. Erikson's story reads a bit like a mix of Glen Cook's Chronicles of the Black Company and George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. While Malazan Empire books aren't exactly Realms related, there's a lot of inspiration and story ideas to be had from this series.
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  13:06:23  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Between Forgotten Realms Atlas and Realmspace

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  22:11:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For supplements? Magic of Faerun and Silver Marches. As someone pretty new to the Realms with 3e, those supplements really sold me on the setting as something amazing and new I had to get into.

Death of the Dragon is probably my favourite novel, just as amazing too.
Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2013 :  03:21:34  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always liked the Volos guides andf they are among my favorite Realmsbooks.

Yan
Playtester
Go to Top of Page

Ze
Learned Scribe

Italy
147 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2013 :  12:12:07  Show Profile Send Ze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
#1 - Cloak & Dagger. Just wow.
#2 - FRCS 3e - although a lot had to be left out, that was a great job putting it all together.
#3 - the City of Splendors boxed set (although I am convinced that if Eric Boyd had not been hindered by the page count, the 3e Waterdeep:CoS could have been at least at the same level as the 2e boxed set).
Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2013 :  15:39:36  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to chime in:

'Ruins of Myth Drannor', 'Elves of Evermeet', 'Cormanthyr', and 'Faiths & Avatars'.

)(Yup, elves are my favorite race, stemming from reading 'Sword of Shannara at a young age, and I love the huge, sprawling chaotic viewing of the pantheon of the Realms.)
Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2013 :  06:21:08  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The North and Cloak & Daggers too. Love these!

Yan
Playtester
Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  04:14:03  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gold & Glory is also one of my favorite FR supplement. Love Power Groups!

Yan
Playtester
Go to Top of Page

rangerstranger
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2013 :  13:42:54  Show Profile Send rangerstranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. Baldur's Gate Trilogy
2. The Ruins of Zhentil Keep Box
3. Forgotten Realms Adventures book

Also the Volo's guide series are really close here
Go to Top of Page

Captain Grafalcon
Learned Scribe

Brazil
129 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2013 :  15:34:37  Show Profile Send Captain Grafalcon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your choices are the same for me rangerstranger, but the Forgotten Realms Atlas software is fantastic too.

"Surely you recognize that armies carrying banners are almost always thieves—until they win."
Jarlaxle, mercenary leader of Bregan D'aerthe.
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2013 :  06:39:57  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm.

Many of the things listed were fantastic books. This is difficult.

1 - FRCS 3e.
2 - Realms Atlas Software.
3 - Waterdeep - City of Splendors 3e.

Honorable Mentions: Magic of Faerun, Races of Faerun, 2e Waterdeep Set, Elves of Cormanthor, Underdark, Drow of the Underdark, Menzoberranzan 4e, Menzoberranzan 2e.

Sylrae's Forgotten Realms Fan-Lore Index, with public commenting access to make for easier improvement (WIP)
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2013 :  00:23:15  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good question!

1. The Old Grey Box.
2. FR5 The Savage Frontier.
3. FR1 Waterdeep and the North.

That's my top three in order.

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2013 :  09:20:24  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Hmmm, this is a tough one. Some are very well thumbed and have very profound impacts. If I had to narrow it to three, which is no easy feat, i'd choose (in no particular order):

Volo's Guide to Waterdeep
FR Campaign Box (2nd edition)
The North (box set)
Forgotten Realms Atlas
Silver Marches
Lost Empires of Faerūn

That's three, right?

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2013 :  16:58:56  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forgotten Realms Campaign Box
The North
Forgotten Realms Adventures

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2013 :  17:32:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My all-time fave Realms products:

Volo's Guide to Waterdeep
Volo's Guide to All Things Magical
Forgotten Realms Adventures
Cloak & Dagger
and the divine trilogy of Faiths & Avatars, Powers & Pantheons, and Demihuman Deities.

The 1E and 2E FRCS boxes rank up there, too, as does the City of Splendors boxed set and Ruins of Undermountain.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 15 Nov 2013 17:33:57
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2013 :  06:46:59  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
my favorite is simple - the first Undermountain boxed set, which is what originally got me to switch from GH to FR.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2013 :  19:00:02  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

my favorite is simple - the first Undermountain boxed set, which is what originally got me to switch from GH to FR.

Yes, great fun. This is one of the box sets I've not gotten my hands on. I've bought the books individually but haven't seen the complete box in ages.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2013 :  19:17:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

Yes, great fun. This is one of the box sets I've not gotten my hands on. I've bought the books individually but haven't seen the complete box in ages.

Because of the way things played out when I lost all my stuff in the fire, I do have the books from both Undermountain boxed sets -- and two complete sets of the maps and cardstock sheets. By chance, my collection of maps and cardstock sheets was in a different location than the books, so the books went up in smoke, and the maps and such were safe elsewhere.

I stopped keeping boxed sets in the boxes when I was a teenager because of my dad's second wife -- she was really down on D&D. I quickly discovered that a hardbound book with a plain brown wrapper, or stuff hidden inside a folder (like you'd use at school) would all escape her notice -- even when school was out!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2013 :  17:03:30  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I stopped keeping boxed sets in the boxes when I was a teenager because of my dad's second wife -- she was really down on D&D. I quickly discovered that a hardbound book with a plain brown wrapper, or stuff hidden inside a folder (like you'd use at school) would all escape her notice -- even when school was out!

Sadly I don't have the cards or the maps, so you're a few steps ahead of me. :)

Go to Top of Page

The Madmage
Acolyte

26 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2013 :  02:22:20  Show Profile Send The Madmage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1) Grand History of the Realms
2) Faiths and Avatars
3) Cloak and Dagger (might have been #2 but I didn't like the Manshoon Wars).
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2015 :  23:59:05  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me.

1.The Old Grey Box.
2.FR5 The Savage Frontier.
3.FR6 Dreams of The Red Wizards.

All very good stuff!

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2015 :  00:12:34  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by froglegg

Good question!

1. The Old Grey Box.
2. FR5 The Savage Frontier.
3. FR1 Waterdeep and the North.

That's my top three in order.

John

As you can see above I changed my mind.

John

Edited by - froglegg on 06 Nov 2015 00:15:13
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2015 :  18:02:28  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1 Can I count Faiths and Avatars, Powers and Pantheons, and Demihuman Deities as a single one.

2 3.5 campaign guide.

3 Grand History of the Realms

4 Evermeet
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2015 :  18:11:30  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1: Three-way tie between Faiths & Avatars, Powers & Pantheons, and Demihuman Deities
2: The Finder's Stone trilogy novels.
3: Another tie, between the Songs and Swords novels and The Seven Sisters sourcebook.

Edited by - Drustan Dwnhaedan on 21 Dec 2015 06:04:58
Go to Top of Page

Khaelieth
Learned Scribe

103 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2015 :  11:13:57  Show Profile  Visit Khaelieth's Homepage Send Khaelieth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FRCS 3rd edition
GHoftR
Baldur's Gate 2

Also known on other forums as ChazSexington, Kusghuul, and Claudius.
Go to Top of Page

chibi_grazzt
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2016 :  14:01:41  Show Profile Send chibi_grazzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
The Grand History of the Realms
Faiths and Pantheons

My Realms Drow Campaign for D&D 5e:
https://doomofthedrow.obsidianportal.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: