Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 TV series of Interest to Realms Fans
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2012 :  02:25:49  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Actually, yes, we do know that he died. The EMT's got there while Fury was still there, and their first words in the bg were "call it". Meaning, calling the time of death. He was, in fact, dead before they arrived. We saw that. Sad, but then, with death being what it is in comic superhero movies/series/books, I'd not be surprised if a way was found to bring him back.

Nope -- Fury said that they called it. The EMTs are only onscreen for a second or two, and they didn't say anything. And the scene shifted, so we didn't see what they did or said.

Fury then called up to the command center, saying the EMTs had called it.

And again, this was after Coulson said to Fury that the Avengers needed something to avenge.

Coulson simply falls silent. Yes, death is the likely cause of that -- but it's also possible he passed out. And given the short interval between his silence and the arrival of the EMTs, it's also possible he did die for several seconds, but they were able to revive him.

So it would be a little like the impermanent death of comics for them to have him back up and running -- but at the same time, we don't know for certain that he was dead. All we have is Fury's word on it -- the word of someone with a need to bring the Avengers together and focus them in a particular direction. Since the bloody cards were a lie to bring it home, I don't see it as being unlikely that Fury also lied about Coulson's death.

Okay you have a valid point(though I seem to recall that they were actually looking at a watch when they arrived- ie, calling the time), but the EVIDENCE- Hill's comment(which implies she'd already seen and/or touched the body, or had at least cleaned out his locker where she found them which you don't do if the person is still alive), Phil's "last words"- a classic death-scene pathos trope there- and the fact that we SAW Loki's scepter go through the middle of his chest (where the heart is) AND he was bleeding out from the wound (I never saw the EMT's trying to stop it- that was a gaping hole in his back!) points to his being truly dead.

Yes, Fury lied, but Phil even TOLD him to give them something to avenge- implying that he KNEW he was dying. Fury's lie was classic "spin". They all knew Coulson, and apparently had all liked him. Fury just made the fight personal, that's all. Also, as far as we know, there was no series being talked about at the time of the filming, so his death in the movie-verse seems to have been intended as being permanent. And there really is not much reason for him to have been using an LMD in that scene- first, Coulson doesn't seem the type to "send in the drones", as it were instead of going himslef, and second, he was on the Helicarrier, so he probably felt secure enough not to need it. There have been a few refs to them in the films (that conversation someone mentioned was Stark answering the phone claiming to be one when Coulson called at the beginning) and a couple of other mentions elsewhere. Fury probably has one, and Stark likely does as well (they probably use his tech for them!) but I don't think Phil would have one. Hill, maybe- but she's Fury's second-in-command. Phil was a field agent, IIRC. Meaning, he might not rank high enough to get one.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2012 :  15:51:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree that Once Upon a Time didn't grab me at first either - I completely avoided the first season. However, I am fascinated how they weave all the mythology, folklore, & fairytales together - it reminds me a LOT of what we do around here (and is a great springboard for ideas).

Sadly, now that Disney owns SW, its only a matter of time before some Jedi or Sith make an appearance. {sigh}

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Man how could I have forgotten all of the Stargates? BIG source of good gaming material in those! Now if they would just take up SGU again.

There were some rumours on Newsarama back in April that SGU "might" be finished up as a comic book series published by Dynamite Entertainment -- kind of like what both Dark Horse having been doing with Buffy and DC are currently attempting with the Eleventh Season of Smallville in comic book format.

Haven't heard much about this since that time, though. Unfortunately.
To be honest, Stargate, the Well of Souls novel series, and Marvel comics multiversal concepts form the basis for about 95% of my musings. Between those three, I can explain-away just about anything, and do so in psuedo-scientific terms.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2012 :  01:08:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I agree that Once Upon a Time didn't grab me at first either - I completely avoided the first season. However, I am fascinated how they weave all the mythology, folklore, & fairytales together - it reminds me a LOT of what we do around here (and is a great springboard for ideas).

Sadly, now that Disney owns SW, its only a matter of time before some Jedi or Sith make an appearance. {sigh}
I wouldn't be so quick to assume that. While we know very little about Disney's plans for the future of SW, it seems clear they're intent on returning to the roots of what started the franchise in the first place. And that sounds more like films focusing on swashbuckling space adventures with weird ships across wild worlds with smugglers, princesses, strange creature companions, and robots... and all while trying to avoid the evil clutches of a vast and galactic force of domination that seeks to prevent the rising destiny of a young boy and the return of a dynasty of mystical monks bent on doing good.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

vorpalanvil
Seeker

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2012 :  12:30:33  Show Profile Send vorpalanvil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man, I'm such giant snob. Love all of the old treks though one viewing of voyager is quite enough. Any new trek will surely be an abortion based on the new movie stuff(not trek). I hate conventional sitcoms ie: the big bang theory. Really liked the early breaking bad but the last two seasons seemed like filler waiting till this season. It's finally coming all around. Loved firefly. And nothing else by whedon since i'm not a 13 year old girl. Don't have hbo or showtime so I have no opinion except I hate all this vampire craphttp://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2012/11/09/Twilight-fans-fill-downtown-LA-ahead-of-premiere Also, I have had all of my fantasy dreams destroyed by Peter Jackson and would rather finish reading Game of thrones then watch the show. At some point I'd like to watch Babylon 5. Also the Prisoner. Hell on wheels is also finally picking up steam(haha). The only "reality" shows I can watch are deadliest catch, and only because I have worked in the industry: and the gold mining shows. It is cool to see guys hang their fortunes on the line for real(I think?). BSG was the shiznite to quote mastershake except the 4th season which was an unforgivable sin. Loved Caprica as well but I suppose there weren't enough explosions and tits so it was axed. Blood and chrome has effectively been killed minus the pilot airing now on the youtube. Somebody mentioned a " Toki" but the only Toki I know is the guitarist for dethklok. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFURd_EOIuU And also some odds and ends like Its always sunny in philly, superjail, ATHF, squidbillies, wondershowzen, archer, etc.

"I'm a busy man! I got places to go, monsters to kill!" attributed to 1st level bard
Go to Top of Page

vorpalanvil
Seeker

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2012 :  12:47:34  Show Profile Send vorpalanvil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Before I'm done ranting her is all you need to know about SW. http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-1-the-phantom-menace/ The walking dead is pretty cool. Not into horror or comic books, but it's solid to see how "real" people react in a "real" situation. Most anime is abhorrent. as I said before a lot of tits and explosions and melancholy pre teens. Blechhh! Ghost in the shell would be one of the rare exceptions and though I am sure there are others they must be few and far between. I would love to disprove the notion (that I continually fuel) that I am a bitter old crank but I love Turner Classic Movies.

"I'm a busy man! I got places to go, monsters to kill!" attributed to 1st level bard
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2012 :  16:40:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're not watching the right anime. Anime is not a single genre; it's as varied as TV in the US is.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2012 :  20:54:23  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

You're not watching the right anime. Anime is not a single genre; it's as varied as TV in the US is.
AGREED!

vorpalanvil, say what you're looking for in a series and I might be able to recommend a few appropriate anime.

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 10 Nov 2012 20:54:46
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2012 :  01:02:47  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Didn't think I liked it, but I gave it a couple episodes and I really enjoy The Arrow.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2012 :  01:44:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Didn't think I liked it, but I gave it a couple episodes and I really enjoy The Arrow.

It hasn't started here yet, but I'm particularly interested in seeing how the series handles the character of Huntress. She has always been one of my favourite DC female characters -- especially Helena Wayne [as Bruce Wayne's daughter], so it'll be rather surprising for me to learn just whether it will she'll be a Wayne or a Bertinelli daughter.

Go to Top of Page

vorpalanvil
Seeker

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2012 :  07:30:46  Show Profile Send vorpalanvil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
vorpalanvil, say what you're looking for in a series and I might be able to recommend a few appropriate anime.
Just something that I can take seriously, such as "Ghost in the shell". While clearly still fiction, it is well done and thought out and the violence moves the story along as opposed to just being an excuse for more explosions.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2012 :  16:09:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See, that just goes to show you the difference between people. Some anime I like, some I hate, and a few I love (Loved Avatar/Airbender, Kenshin, and Full Metal).

But Ghost in the shell I couldn't stand. It just didn't grab me. To each his own, and all of that.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2012 :  18:30:21  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Haha. Agreed, MT. I also loved those series you listed.

vorpalanvil, I take back what I said. If "Ghost in the Shell" is your cup of tea, then there's nothing for me to recommend. I find that anime horribly boring.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2012 :  19:03:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vorpalanvil

Just something that I can take seriously, such as "Ghost in the shell". While clearly still fiction, it is well done and thought out and the violence moves the story along as opposed to just being an excuse for more explosions.

You may enjoy Macross Plus...

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2012 :  19:39:58  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Macross, Wooly? Sounds like you and my other half would get along wonderfully! He is also a Macross/Robotech fan (though he prefers ist gen, with Rick, Min-Mei, and Lisa, etc....) Personally, I LOVE GitS, as well as the Stand Alone Complex series that came from it. MT mentioned Full Metal (was that Panic or Alchemist?) which I also loved. I'm not a big fan of Akira, but the hubby loves it. Some of my fave anime series are Negima, Yu-Yu Hakusho, Card Captor Sakura, Rozen Maiden, and Grenadier. Obviously, I like series with many strong female characters. Hated Sailor Moon, though. Maybe it was the outfits.....

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2012 :  19:51:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Full Metal Alchemist - I was unaware of the other. I forgot about Yu-Yu Hakusho - another very good one.

Strangely, although I can't stand the overly short-skirted Japanese school girl type of anime (I call that Sailor Vomit), I do like Inuyasha (only one normal girl, and they avoid a lot of the butt-hanging-out-of-the-skirt shots, a least in the Americanized version). I dig all the mystical stuff.

Also don't like the "little kid is strongest one there is!" type of anime, which includes Dragonball and Naruto (although I do steal ideas I like from both). I'll watch them if nothing else is on, but they annoy the heck out of me. I guess Avatar was made well enough to sneak by me on that count (and now that I think about it, perhaps FMA as well).

EDIT: I almost forgot my favorite pet-peeve! "little kid captures monsters and risks life battling them against each other!" You really got to hate a world where when you get to be about ten, they send their children off into the wilderness by themselves to capture monsters. What wonderful parents. Gawd, I hate those anime shows (although some of the creatures/cards from Yu-gi-Oh! were pretty cool).

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Nov 2012 19:56:53
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2012 :  21:06:20  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Obviously, I like series with many strong female characters. Hated Sailor Moon, though. Maybe it was the outfits.....
I thought all females LIKE Sailor Moon. And Sailor Neptune is just gorgeous, with or without the outfit. The lesbians love her and Sailor Uranus.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2012 :  21:10:14  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Full Metal Alchemist - I was unaware of the other. I forgot about Yu-Yu Hakusho - another very good one.
FMA is great, though I found the melodrama annoying at times.

YYH is one of my all-time favorites. Kurama is cool, and Hiei, too, in a cold-cute way. Have you seen the movie? Not the first, but the one where they fought to close the portals to Hell.

Edited by - Dennis on 11 Nov 2012 21:12:08
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2012 :  22:05:54  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Macross FTW

I cried when they killed the mecha in District 9.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2012 :  04:16:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Macross, Wooly? Sounds like you and my other half would get along wonderfully! He is also a Macross/Robotech fan (though he prefers ist gen, with Rick, Min-Mei, and Lisa, etc....) Personally, I LOVE GitS, as well as the Stand Alone Complex series that came from it. MT mentioned Full Metal (was that Panic or Alchemist?) which I also loved. I'm not a big fan of Akira, but the hubby loves it. Some of my fave anime series are Negima, Yu-Yu Hakusho, Card Captor Sakura, Rozen Maiden, and Grenadier. Obviously, I like series with many strong female characters. Hated Sailor Moon, though. Maybe it was the outfits.....

Actually, I've never seen the original Macross, other than an ep or two here and there... I was well into the novelizations of them when I discovered there was an anime!

Need to finish watching Full Metal Panic, myself. I've heard good things about Full Metal Alchemist, so I may look into that, at some point.

Saw Yu-Yu Hakusho once -- hated it.

I'm not really a major otaku, and though I enjoyed Evangelion and Ninja Scroll, they're generally not my thing. I'm more into the lighter stuff -- my real intro to anime was Ranma ½, and I'm a big fan of Oh! My Goddess! and Love Hina. My wife and I both enjoyed Azumanga Daioh, and one of these days I'm going to intro her to Fushigi Yugi (okay, so that's not such a light one).

For a while, I was into collectioning everything I could related to anime that I liked -- this was what got me into my still-growing collection of shitajiki. I've since broken myself of the "gotta collect everything!" mindset (at least as pertains to anime! ), but I still have all of the anime CDs I got, back in the day. Listening to those made me want to broaden my music selection a bit more, and now there's a couple Japanese artists I really like, to the point of having all of their music.

I'm not a Japanophile, like some anime fans, though. I just like some of their entertainment. And I understand the meaning of the word otaku, which is why I don't use it oft (at least not without qualifying it by adding something like "in the American sense of the word").

Back on topic... Been meaning to look into Record of Lodoss Wars. I've seen some very pretty artwork from it, and I heard somewhere that it was based on a D&D game. Anyone seen it?

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 12 Nov 2012 04:18:18
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2012 :  06:16:26  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Heh. You said you only saw one movie, and the first one at that, which isn't really that good, and does not speak of the entire series itself. It's supposed to be a "test run" back in the day. Many fans complained about how weak the story was, and how poorly were the 4 main cast used. So they made another full-length film after that, which was way better than its predecessor, though admittedly not as great as the whole series.

My most favorite parts are the Taguro and The Three Kings arcs, for they delve deeper into pasts of Yuske, Hiei, and Kurama.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2012 :  10:42:02  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with that. The latter movies were indeed quite good and the series itself was one of my favorites as a child.
Though I doubt I would enjoy it as much if a saw it today as I am more into darker stuff like Deadman Wonderland and Ghost in the Shell nowadays. Claymore was a pretty good anime too but my main compliant with that they were not that true to the manga.
Go to Top of Page

vorpalanvil
Seeker

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2012 :  23:40:37  Show Profile Send vorpalanvil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Macross was actually my first exposure to anime as a kid circa 1987? Used to get up at six am on saturday morning to watch it.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  01:36:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know a lot of fans decry the US-adapted Robotech series, but I'll always hold special reverence for it, since it was largely my first exposure to mecha-based cartoons [I was also just getting into BATTLETECH at the time, so there's probably a long unacknowledged correlation there].

Though, it wasn't my first exposure to Japanamation. That honour falls to 1980's series of Astro Boy.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  04:44:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I know a lot of fans decry the US-adapted Robotech series, but I'll always hold special reverence for it, since it was largely my first exposure to mecha-based cartoons [I was also just getting into BATTLETECH at the time, so there's probably a long unacknowledged correlation there].

Though, it wasn't my first exposure to Japanamation. That honour falls to 1980's series of Astro Boy.

I actually saw anime when I was in kindergarten -- Battle of the Planets was an adaptation of Gatchaman. I used to love "G-Force" when I was little.

I also saw some Kimba the White Lion when I was 8 or 9, and some Voltron around the same time frame. I'm sure there's some other anime I saw back in the day, too, that I didn't know was anything other than standard American cartoons.

That's why I said Ranma was my real intro to anime. I'd seen anime before then, plenty of it -- but Ranma was the first time I'd seen something I knew was anime, and it was the first time I'd seen something that wasn't folded, spindled, and mutilated into something new so it could run on American TV.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  15:34:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was Gigantor and Speed Racer that got me hooked early on. I'm not a big fan of 'giant robot' anime, but that first one still holds a special place in my heart.

Speed Racer's car was named the Mach 5, and I thought he was saying "Mark 5", so I figured the car was named after me (because when you ARE 5, that makes sense to you).

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Nov 2012 15:35:46
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  15:38:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It was Gigantor and Speed Racer that got me hooked early on. I'm not a big fan of 'giant robot' anime, but that first one still holds a special place in my heart.

Speed Racer's car was named the Mach 5, and I thought he was saying "Mark 5", so I figured the car was named after me (because when you ARE 5, that makes sense to you).

When my wife and I were flying back from Dublin, the Speed Racer movie was one of those shown on the plane... I was very thankful to have plenty of reading material!

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  15:40:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did mention I was 5, right?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  15:51:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I did mention I was 5, right?

Oh, I wasn't knocking the cartoon -- I was talking about the live action movie that came out a few years ago.

I'm sure all of us could list things we liked at age 5*, that we look back on now and think "What was I smoking to have enjoyed that?"

*Or 10... Or 15...

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2012 :  01:06:23  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed, MT. Inuyasha is okay when I'm bored, but I cannot stand the overpowered-ness that is Dargonball anything, and Naruto was only decent as a manga. I don't care for the anime. One Piece is another one I didn't like, though it had its moments. I'm not a big fan of cutesy pwoer-girl type animes in general, but there are a few I like. And Ah My Goddess is another I enjoyed- thanks for the reminder!

Yu-Gi-Oh is better than Pokemon (at least it was a card game, which in theory is SUPPOSED to be safe) but I definitely have to wonder what kind of parents would let their kids go off alone to catch wild animals and train them to fight. (Dog and cock-fighting are illegal, but Pokemon battles AREN'T??!!) Of all the -mon animes, though, my favorite is Digimon, at least in the second and third seasons. I liked the idea that it was a world within the digital "universe" of data in the Web, and that the creatures there were able to cross over (and so were the kids.) I've mined it for a plethora of ideas, such as using a version of Renamon as a summoned creature for a pair of artifacts I came up with as a family relic for one of my players (my hubby, playing a wood elf ninja)!

Ah, Voltron! How could I forget that one? That one, along with Speed Racer and Starblazers, were my first intros to anime, though I didn't know it at the time. (Yeah, I grew up in the 80's, now you guys know how old I am... LOL!!) Then there was also Technoman, which I also loved. Somewhat obscure, but I like the idea of the mecha being part of him.

Wooly, I own the entire Lodoss Wars series, and not only is the artwork beautiful, but it is a GREAT anime! (So long as Deetlit doesn't get on your nerves, LOL!!) AFAIK, yes, it was actually based on a D&D game, and it definitely shows in the items, races, character "classes", magic, monsters, etc.... I could go on. In fact, it is the only anime I know of that has an actual "dark elf" race (Pirotess is a minor but interesting character, as the only dark elf actually featured, but you see a few others, once or twice.) And dragons of different colors! A red, a gold, a black, a green, and a white, if memory serves. Possibly others, but those are the only ones actually ever shown. It has a more-or-less "standard" party, with a human knight, dwarf fighter, elf wizard, a human priest, and a human thief. There are also a monk and a barbarian/fighter pair who show up, but those are the main ones. You really should try it- I fell in love with this one the first time I saw it!

My stories:

Edited by - Alystra Illianniis on 14 Nov 2012 01:56:26
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2012 :  02:34:58  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The only BIG ROBOTS-type/ mecha anime I enjoyed was Mobile Suit Gundam Wing. Trowa and Wufei are my favorites. Its predecessor and the other Gundam offshoots I couldn't care for, save the Mobile Fighter G Gundam, which I kinda liked too, but didn't really watch all the episodes.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000