Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Bound by Blood - Rise of the Zhentarim
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2012 :  15:03:45  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/frnovel/49794000

Has anyone more information on this by chance, the title and the cover does spark my interest.

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2012 :  15:13:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why is there an option to search for a nearby store for an eBook?

This book was mentioned a few months ago... Sounds interesting, but I'm not buying an ebook reader just to read it, and I don't like trying to read books on my phone.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2012 :  15:36:54  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Why is there an option to search for a nearby store for an eBook?
That's a legacy bit from their standard book treatment on their website. Every book has that clickable block, at least at first, even if it's not applicable.

quote:
This book was mentioned a few months ago... Sounds interesting, but I'm not buying an ebook reader just to read it, and I don't like trying to read books on my phone.

You really don't need an e-reader. All you need is a computer and one of the free apps, such as this one for the Kindle:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000493771

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2012 :  16:40:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

You really don't need an e-reader. All you need is a computer and one of the free apps, such as this one for the Kindle:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000493771

Cheers

I spend way more time staring at a computer screen than I should. When I want to read a book, I want to be away from my computer.

I've tried reading books on my phone, and I can do it... But I usually forget I have books on there, and reach for a proper paperback, instead. So if I'm going to read eBooks, I need either a tablet or a dedicated eReader. My funding isn't as copious as I should like, and there hasn't been that much of a need for a reader, so...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2012 :  16:47:29  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do wonder, i heard somewhere that some ebooks are US/North America only, how will that effect people on other continents? Wouldn´t that mean others can get access to them via legal means?

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2012 :  17:15:26  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm. The description does not mention what era it is set in, though the title could lead one to believe that it would be in a historic era. Also, it saddens me to see a it at the full cost of buying a paperback when it is eBook only. That is one of the reasons I have purchased the few eBook only FR titles that I have, because they are at a reduced price at least (that, and I love Erik's writing).

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2012 :  17:50:36  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Bane

I do wonder, i heard somewhere that some ebooks are US/North America only, how will that effect people on other continents? Wouldn´t that mean others can get access to them via legal means?
WotC is working on their distribution agreements with Random House and international distributors to be able to distribute e-books outside of North America. Paul Kemp announced about a month ago that they have "fixed" it, so now it's a matter of the systems catching up. If you find yourself unable to download a WotC e-book, let me know and I'll either send a note up the line or direct you to where you can do so yourself.

quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

Hm. The description does not mention what era it is set in, though the title could lead one to believe that it would be in a historic era.
I know enough to say I can't talk about it. Watch for more news.

quote:
Also, it saddens me to see a it at the full cost of buying a paperback when it is eBook only. That is one of the reasons I have purchased the few eBook only FR titles that I have, because they are at a reduced price at least (that, and I love Erik's writing).

Thanks for the plug. Ebook pricing is very much something that should be discussed, but WotC's forums are probably the best place to have your concerns heard by those who can do something about it.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2012 :  21:28:46  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik, since you seem to be our go-to guy for all things e-book related, do you know if Wizards plans on expanding beyond Kindle and Kobo? I'm thinking specifically Google Books. I just prefer the Google books interface to the respective apps of the above 2.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2012 :  23:58:43  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nooks exist, and I think you can get non-specific e-reader versions from the WotC site. I seem to think some of WotC's books are already available as google books, but I could be wrong.

So in short, I don't know?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2012 :  15:47:33  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was gonna add Nook, but then I realized that there is no Nook Android app. I read these things on my Nexus 7 tablet.

I'm willing to get your Shadowbane books on the Kindle app. I would just prefer Google Books. But it's not a dealbreaker.
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2012 :  16:02:01  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And for some reason my screen-reader doesn't like Kindle's format.

:(

No e-books for sightless for a while then.

We choose to live a lie, when we see with, & not through the eye.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2012 :  10:52:48  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any ideas if this has been officially cancelled? Amazon took down the preorder option and pricing info saying it's no longer available... and had listed its publication before as jan 1, 2035... and the wizards' page for it is gone too... so another mysterious cancellation like Demon Weave?

I am like a superhero, with no powers or motivation.
I have gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
People like you are the reason people like me are on medication.
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

769 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2012 :  00:06:49  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is something that has me extremely upset with WoTC. They seemed to have had a pretty good lineup set for the end of this year and the beginning of the next. But now they appear to have axed 3 novels (Rise of the Zhentarim, The Spider and the Stone, and Demon Weave) and moved back the Lesser Evils novels. Now there are only 2 novels coming out over the next 4 months.

It's pretty damn disappointing. Erik, do you have any knowledge of why they have thinned out the novel heard for the upcoming future? Don't they want our money?

EDIT:

I just found out that Spider and Stone was released as an eBook only this month. Completely passed by my radar, which is rare. WoTC might want to invest a little more in marketing.

Edited by - Caolin on 16 Nov 2012 00:09:24
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2012 :  18:17:18  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has it really been released? Still shows up as a 2013 book for me on amazon.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

769 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2012 :  19:25:15  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

Has it really been released? Still shows up as a 2013 book for me on amazon.

I'm not sure if this is Amazon's bad or if it's WoTC's bad. But there appears to be two pages for this novel. Either way, WoTC should get on Amazon to fix the issue.

http://www.amazon.com/Spider-and-Stone-ebook/dp/B009MY9QXM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353093821&sr=8-1&keywords=Spider+and+Stone
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2012 :  21:41:13  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spider and Stone has been cancelledÉ
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2012 :  21:42:00  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought the problems WotC was having with the international distribution of e-books was resolved. I can't buy the book. /sigh

EDIT: So if the book is cancelled, the guy that posted a review of the book was lying?

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".

Edited by - Tanthalas on 16 Nov 2012 21:43:23
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

769 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2012 :  21:48:29  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely not canceled. I'm reading it right now.

Ugh, that sucks Tanthalas. It's a shame how messed up foreign distributions are.

Edited by - Caolin on 16 Nov 2012 21:53:07
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2012 :  22:50:52  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh well, hopefully the book will be made available overseas in the next few weeks.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2012 :  16:59:29  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Clad In Shadows

I was gonna add Nook, but then I realized that there is no Nook Android app. I read these things on my Nexus 7 tablet.
I'm willing to get your Shadowbane books on the Kindle app. I would just prefer Google Books. But it's not a dealbreaker.
I definitely appreciate that! Generally, I'm a proponent of wider distribution (WotC should sell books through Google, iTunes, etc). I suspect it's a money issue, but I'm really not party to the google books discussion.

quote:
Originally posted by Zacas

Any ideas if this has been officially cancelled? Amazon took down the preorder option and pricing info saying it's no longer available... and had listed its publication before as jan 1, 2035... and the wizards' page for it is gone too... so another mysterious cancellation like Demon Weave?
As far as I know, Bound by Blood is off the table at this point. I'm not a WotC employee or official, however, so an official release trumps anything I might say.

quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

This is something that has me extremely upset with WoTC. They seemed to have had a pretty good lineup set for the end of this year and the beginning of the next. But now they appear to have axed 3 novels (Rise of the Zhentarim, The Spider and the Stone, and Demon Weave) and moved back the Lesser Evils novels. Now there are only 2 novels coming out over the next 4 months.
It's pretty damn disappointing. Erik, do you have any knowledge of why they have thinned out the novel heard for the upcoming future? Don't they want our money?
I have no official comment on their motivations or technique. All I can do is recommend you go on the WotC boards and express your opinions. If you want more books, more of your favorite authors, etc., you need to go say so. You should be posting reviews online, talking up the books on forums, and posting on WotC's boards. WotC needs to hear your voice.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

769 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2012 :  19:43:29  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have made a post over there concerning the lack of upcoming novel releases. But it didn't get much interest from the posting public.

:(
Go to Top of Page

lordduck
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2012 :  03:05:21  Show Profile Send lordduck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was really looking forward to these novels, especially Demon Weave, hope they have been postponed and not cancelled :/
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2012 :  03:31:12  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not particularly dissapointed. I would much rather have a book written about the Zhentarim that is more like Cormyr: A Novel or Evermeet: Island of the Elves. Or a series or books set-up like the Harpers but about the Zhents.

I have had much bigger dissapointments with cancelled FR books than this.

*ahem* Reclaimation/Serpent's Daughter
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2012 :  08:40:12  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jornan

I'm not particularly dissapointed. I would much rather have a book written about the Zhentarim that is more like Cormyr: A Novel or Evermeet: Island of the Elves. Or a series or books set-up like the Harpers but about the Zhents.

Serpent's Daughter was cancelled? Oh my gosh... *sits down and weeps*

With all the cancelling going on, I think I might just give up on the Realms...

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2012 :  13:29:45  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

quote:
Originally posted by jornan

Serpent's Daughter was cancelled? Oh my gosh... *sits down and weeps*

With all the cancelling going on, I think I might just give up on the Realms...

Don't give up on the Realms just yet...
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2012 :  19:56:15  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To echo Elaine, keep the faith, and do not lose hope!

Express your opinions to WotC--they are listening. Tell them what you want.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

ile
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2012 :  20:59:59  Show Profile  Visit ile's Homepage Send ile a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe their newest policy,e-books only,didn't bring the results they were hoping for.

Edited by - ile on 20 Nov 2012 21:00:34
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

769 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2012 :  22:29:58  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ile

Maybe their newest policy,e-books only,didn't bring the results they were hoping for.

I think it may be too early to tell at this point. But they haven't done a very good job of marketing their novels. I mean, people are having to hunt for Spider and Stone.
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2012 :  22:43:55  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only thing I can say about their e-book only policy is that I never had a problem buying their physical books before, but most of their digital catalogue continues to be inaccessible for people living outside North America.

I thought this problem had been sorted out a few weeks ago when a handful of WotC books were made available, but I can't buy Spider and Stone, so yeah.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2012 :  00:44:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ile

I think that's a little harsh.

It's more likely that Wizards still haven't smoothed out all the "e-bumps" in their e-books online distribution policy.

Give them a little more time and patience.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2012 :  03:30:23  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I do know is that for the past 18 years I have purchased every single FR book that was published and in the past year since ebook exclusive publications have started to happen I have become more choosy in the FR books that I purchase...both paperback and ebook. I like ebooks as an option, but limiting my freedom to choose a format made me choose to buy less books in general from this publisher.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000