Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Glacier of the Silver Blades
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2012 :  13:12:00  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does anyone know who or what the Silver Blades were and why this glacier in the Dragonspine Mountains of the Moonsea North bears this name?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2012 :  13:47:37  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not alot of info out there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_of_the_Silver_Blades

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14284

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15902&SearchTerms=silver+blades

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 29 Aug 2012 13:49:28
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2012 :  14:46:06  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there anything more in Monument of the Ancients? I don't recall, but when you're in that area - if you're not checking with that adventure, you're making a mistake.

Essentially, Eldamar and his brother (I want to say Oswulf) had an adventuring group called the Silver Blades near Verdigris. Eventually, Eldamar decided to become an evil lich and Oswulf wanted to stop him without destroying him, so he came up with a plan to turn the valley into a glacier. Well, eventually the glacier started melting and Eldamar's followers started trying to find him, so the townsfolk of Verdigris used their magic wishing well to wish up some adventurers.
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2012 :  20:39:53  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We didn't cover it in great length in that adventure due to word count (we were paid for 10k words but turned in 20k :p).

I'll go back and check my notes and see if we had anything on it.
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2012 :  14:40:22  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@The Red Walker. Thanks. They're the only things I could find also.

@Rhewtani. Yes, Monument of the Ancients is the reason I am asking. I love the map that is included. It is everything that the FR4E campaign map is not. Thanks for your Eldamar et al explanation. I presume that's from the CRPG?

@Matt James. That would be great. I suspect it will be the same as what Rhewtani has typed (as in, I'm sure it's just a throwaway reference in a single CRPG) but would like to know anything else you might have from your research.

Thanks, all.

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2012 :  20:43:25  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, its my summary of the CRPG plot. I had to learn it for when I ran a Pools of Darkness campaign for my group. The cities "pulled" off the prime were odd choices (Phlan, Verdigris, Hulburg, and Melvaunt). I used the logic that each city was pulled as part of a pair and they needed to be roughly the same metaphysical size for load-balancing reasons. Thus, Hulburg and Verdigris were both small enough to balance and Phlan and Melvaunt were close enough, as well. Thentia and Hillsfar should have been an eventual part of the plan. I placed the well of souls or whatever it was called in Old Verdigris, inside of the glacier - and considered it a pool of radiance. Further, I placed the Blade of Lathander was a weapon entombed with one of the members of the original Silver Blades.

The game had a guidebook with excerpts (some true and some false) which makes for some good background reading.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000