Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Real Estate in Waterdeep, part II
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

xedrick
Seeker

82 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2012 :  19:13:20  Show Profile Send xedrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Good afternoon, scribes!

Today, I'd like to take a step farther along the path that I've been going with regards to real estate in Waterdeep.

I'm looking to write in a way for my characters to come into possession of said real estate without either:
A) Just handing them the keys, or
B) Making it some sort of reward from a noble for blah blah blah.

They will be coming into waterdeep for the first time soon (south gate), which will be their first REAL city experience. Every other city that they've passed through has been rather uneventful as far as the city itself goes, and since there's SO MUCH info available on Waterdeep*, I want to make this something totally different. For the first time in my gaming career, I'll be part of a group running an 'urban dungeon,' at least for the first few weeks that they're there.

So, after they've had a bit of time to acclimate to the city and get tired of paying nightly for an inn, I want to give them the opportunity to purchase their own property out of which to base their future operations (as discussed in an earlier thread).

My idea as it stands right now is to hold some sort of auction. Maybe at the end of each month, or quarter of the year, an auction is held to sell real-estate that has been forfeited for whatever reason (taxes, disaster, etc). I'm thinking I'll put together a handful of floorplans (as well as maybe an empty lot or two?) that will be available at the auction, and allow them to compete with NPC's to acquire the plot that they want. Perhaps they can make an enemy in this process.
In my mind, this sounds like a ton of fun, but I don't know what I would do to work that into the game without just raising the price every time they bid, up to a certain amount.

I know you fellows are a creative bunch and I'd love to hear what is to be said about this, as well as other ideas as to how they might acquire a base of operations.

*- Speaking directly of the ENORMOUS map shelved here in the map room. I'd also like to know if it's possible for me to edit this map in Adobe Illustrator so that I can add in labels and floorplans that I create myself?

Kyrel
Learned Scribe

151 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2012 :  19:57:14  Show Profile  Visit Kyrel's Homepage Send Kyrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, with regards to acquiring real estate, I suppose that there are only so many different ways of going about it:

Move in and occupy it. If you can hold on to it against all opposition (and legal owners), the place becomes yours.
Buy it.
Steal the deed to it.
Preasure the owner to sell it to you.
Inherrit it.
Receive it as a gift.
Build it on an unclaimed piece of land (ain't happening in Waterdeep city and immediate surroundings).

With regards to an auction, I suppose that you could add a random element to the bidding, so that you haven't just decided on a "winning" price beforehand. That way they might strike a bargain, or they might end up having to back down because some rich merchant or noble simply outbids them, leaving them to try again another time or for another place.

Besides the auction, I suppose that they could also simply get a chance to rent a location to begin with, and as the game progresses, they might get a chance to buy it from the original owner who is looking to sell for some reason. If they've been nice tennants, maybe he'll be willing to let them quote him a price, before the building goes up for sale on the open market. Having them rent the place would likely be in tone with the info you saw in the other thread you started on this issue, and that way they get stuck with a periodic expense they need to pay, in order to keep their base of operations.

I really like this and your last thread on this topic by the way, as I'm currently playing in a merchant based campaign set in Waterdeep and other places up and down the western coast.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000