Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Founding of the Spellguard
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1412 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2012 :  08:12:42  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In the Silver Marches sourcebook, it was stated that the Spellguard was found by Taern Hornblade in 1255 DR. Now my if math is right, that makes him more than 120 years old by the time of 1375DR, and being human, he must have had at least some sort of age-extending enchantment cast on himself to be able to survive that long if he was born much earlier.

I couldn't verify the year of the founding in The North boxed set and the Savage Frontier supplement since it didn't contain any information about the Spellguard, but I do remember that it was mentioned that the Spellguard was the idea of an earlier Silvermayor before 1255DR, but whether it was called the Spellguard by then, it didn't say.

Can anyone give an insight on the proper date or would like to guess the reason of Taern's longetivity (and real age)?

Edited by - questing gm on 26 Aug 2012 06:49:41

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2012 :  22:54:21  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a great question. We know that there are "evil" spells that suck the life force from others but I dont see him used such methods.

Interesting indeed!!!
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2012 :  18:17:09  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by questing gm

would like to guess the reason of Taern's longetivity (and real age)?

Well lets see, potions of longevity and/or elixir's of youth help.

Maybe he is somehow linked to the Silverymoon Wards and they sustain him somehow?

Perhaps Alustriel granted him extra long life via wishes/items/spell rituals/silver fire etc for his services to Silverymoon?

Maybe Mystra or Azuth have a special mission for him and so are protecting him?

How about other High Harpers who value his work and want to keep him as Silverymoon's 'champion' and Lustra's right hand man?

Of course he could a spectral harper that has inhabited a body and moves it around at will, or a shapechanged dragon, or maybe an ex-magister who took Mystra Blessing and was reborn into a new shape?

What would be interesting if he was in fact another 'Wizard of the North' in disguise, perhaps Grimwald or Presper of the Covenant, or better yet Tulrun who has direct links with Silverymoon?

Nice question! might be worth asking Ed about this?

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1412 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2012 :  09:24:32  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would certainly love it to get an answer from Ed himself, should the fine hooded lady be kind enough to send this sage's query his way.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1412 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2012 :  14:42:11  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With great pride and deep gratitude, I have received the answers from Ed himself (through the mouth of his lovely hooded lady), which I will quote below, that will put this scroll to its proper rest on the shelves of all things related to The North.
quote:
Hi again, all! I bring you a new Realmslore reply from Ed, this time in response to questing gm re. the (directly) above posted questions.
Ed replies:

Sure, and well met, questing gm! Taern did indeed found the Spellguard in 1255 DR. He was formalizing an impromptu gang of “friendly” wizards and sorcerers (of whom he was a member) who worked “for” Silverymoon and the notion of an alliance with Everlund and policing the hinterlands of the two settlements, against the marauding monsters (and brigands, and orc, goblin, gnoll, and hobgoblin warbands) that plagued the vicinity - - not to mention recurring cabals of evil merchants and others who desired to undermine law and order in Silverymoon, and make it a “might makes right” frontier settlement where they could operate as they pleased.
Taern has been hopelessly in love with Alustriel for most of his adult life. Almost all who met him agree he is (or was) a grave, quiet-spoken, and fair man whose manner concealed great creative abilities with the Art. He experimented with improving the dangerous (because they can backfire, and age someone greatly or even to death, rather than extending life and vigor) potions of longevity of his early days, and made great strides in improving the stability and long-term efficacy of the mixtures. Naturally (for a man of his ethics) he did some of this experimentation on himself, and when inevitably reverses afflicted him, Alustriel worked to eradicate them when he was sleeping (with Mystra’s full approval). So it was that Taern, although outwardly aging, gained nigh a vigorous extra century of life (he was aware he’d extended his own natural span, but unaware Alustriel had aided him in living even longer). Taern is the epitome of the kind but just “good” mage, and such individuals (who instinctively resist the entrapments and corruption of wielding great power) are so rare as to be treasures to be guarded and maintained.
There are conflicting stories about the manner and dating of Taern’s end (some say he’s a “Weaveghost” or other servitor of Mystra, others that he survives to this day, though some claim he “lives on” in an enchanted item, not in his own body) and about his birth (1206 DR is a dating given in several records, but others say 1202, 1204, or as late as 1214). I’m afraid NDAs prevent me from clearing this matter up entirely.

So saith Ed, and there you have it. A glimpse of Taern, one of the great unsung folk of the Realms.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000