Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erin M Evans
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

MasterGhandalf
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2013 :  05:33:05  Show Profile Send MasterGhandalf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished reading Brimstone Angels and Lesser Evils for the second time- probably my favorite Realms novels in years:). Anyway, I'm finding myself really intrigued by the whole backstory or Bryseis Kakistos and the Toril Thirteen, and have a few questions about them (and Farideh and Havilar's blood relations). 'Course, some of these might be spoilery, but I'll throw them out just in case?

1. Lesser Evils established that the Ascension of Asmodeus "stabilized" the appearance of all tieflings to the devilish-looking humanoids of 4e as opposed to the more varied looks previously. I was wondering where that appearance (horns, tail, monochrome eyes, pointy teeth, etc.) came from originally. Is it based off what Bryseis herself looked like? One of the other Thirtee? Did Asmodeus pick it, or was it just a random side-effect?

2. This is where we're probably getting spoilery. Are Farideh and Havilar's parents still alive? And were/are they both tieflings, or was only one parent a teifling? Again, I know getting an answer here is a long shot, but I thought I'd try my luck:).

3. Now here's one I've been considering pretty heavily, but may be even spoilery-er than the last one- Bryseis Kakistos' legacy has hung over the whole series (and the lives of every tiefling in the Realms, it would seem) so far, but... is there any chance she's still around in some form? I know it's implied she's dead, and she'd be a very, very old tiefling anyway, but still, you've got to wonder... (now can't get an Empire Strikes Back-esque "No, Farideh, I am your however-many-greats grandmother!" "It's not true- that's impossible!" bit out of my head, probably a consequence of posting this so close to midnight...)

4. Are there any more tidbits about the Adversary that you'd be able/willing to reveal at this juncture?

Hope those questions weren't to terribly spoilery, and thanks again for two really enjoyable books (and with fingers crossed for many more Brimstone Angel adventures)!

PS- I was browsing through the Wizards Community Book Club threads on BA and LE, and ran across the discussions on female characters not being relatable to male readers, and nonhumans being too weird entirely. Putting myself down as a male human who really enjoys female main characters and nonhumans, and who has certainly enjoyed reading about a certain pair of tiefling twins!

I wish that the Ring had never come to me. I wish that none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2013 :  18:13:13  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi MasterGhandalf!

I'm glad you're enjoying the books so much!

quote:
Originally posted by MasterGhandalf

1. Lesser Evils established that the Ascension of Asmodeus "stabilized" the appearance of all tieflings to the devilish-looking humanoids of 4e as opposed to the more varied looks previously. I was wondering where that appearance (horns, tail, monochrome eyes, pointy teeth, etc.) came from originally. Is it based off what Bryseis herself looked like? One of the other Thirtee? Did Asmodeus pick it, or was it just a random side-effect?

Well, the meta-answer is that that's what the designers picked for 4E. But when I looked at it, I thought they resembled later depictions of Asmodeus and Glasya--which is where the idea came from. So I would say that the appearance is the effect of Asmodeus's blood showing through.

quote:

2. This is where we're probably getting spoilery. Are Farideh and Havilar's parents still alive? And were/are they both tieflings, or was only one parent a teifling? Again, I know getting an answer here is a long shot, but I thought I'd try my luck:).

You will get a little more information about Farideh and Havilar's birth parents in The Adversary. :)

quote:

3. Now here's one I've been considering pretty heavily, but may be even spoilery-er than the last one- Bryseis Kakistos' legacy has hung over the whole series (and the lives of every tiefling in the Realms, it would seem) so far, but... is there any chance she's still around in some form? I know it's implied she's dead, and she'd be a very, very old tiefling anyway, but still, you've got to wonder... (now can't get an Empire Strikes Back-esque "No, Farideh, I am your however-many-greats grandmother!" "It's not true- that's impossible!" bit out of my head, probably a consequence of posting this so close to midnight...)

That is pretty spoilery. I will say this much: this is a question I will definitely answer in the series.

quote:
4. Are there any more tidbits about the Adversary that you'd be able/willing to reveal at this juncture?

Willing? YES. Able? No, probably not. But here, for anyone who hasn't caught them all are the things that are currently public:

1. Catalog copy:"In the 3rd book of the multi-author SUNDERING series kicked off by New York Times best-selling author R.A. Salvatore, the award-winning Erin M. Evans throws her signature character Farideh into a maelstrom of devilish politics and magical intrigue. Captured by Netherese agents and locked away in a prison camp, Farideh quickly discovers her fellow prisoners are not simply enemies of Netheril, but people known as Chosen who possess hidden powers, powers that Netheril is eager to exploit—or destroy. As Farideh’s friends and sister race across the landscape on a desperate rescue mission, Farideh is drawn deeper into the mystery of the Netherese plot alongside two undercover Harper agents. But will her closest ally turn out to be an adversary from her past?"
2. Timing: The Adversary takes place between 1478 and 1486 DR.
3. Characters: Most of the party from the previous two books form the core, or appear briefly. Tam is not in the core. Dahl and Farideh are. Lots of new characters. The epilogue is not lying--Sairche and Rhand come back.
4. Length: Longer than either BA or LE. Probably about 150,000 words (so half again as long as a standard Realms paperback).
5. I feel like I should have five...: My editor likes it? "My overall assessment is that this is going to be a freaking amazing book." :)

quote:
Hope those questions weren't to terribly spoilery, and thanks again for two really enjoyable books (and with fingers crossed for many more Brimstone Angel adventures)!

Me too! I'm contracted for three more after this, so as long as people enjoy them, I'll keep writing!

quote:
PS- I was browsing through the Wizards Community Book Club threads on BA and LE, and ran across the discussions on female characters not being relatable to male readers, and nonhumans being too weird entirely. Putting myself down as a male human who really enjoys female main characters and nonhumans, and who has certainly enjoyed reading about a certain pair of tiefling twins!

I'm delighted to hear it! It's nice to see so many male readers actually surprised by this truism--makes me think it's less true than the publishing industry thinks!

www.slushlush.com

Edited by - ErinMEvans on 11 Apr 2013 20:55:50
Go to Top of Page

MasterGhandalf
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2013 :  03:42:06  Show Profile Send MasterGhandalf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You will get a little more information about Farideh and Havilar's birth parents in The Adversary. :)

Figured I wouldn't get a detailed answer here- after all, is there any way to go into details about the orphan protaginsts' blank-slate biological parents in a fantasy story and and have it not be spoilers- but there definitely seems to have been something weird going on there, and I'm happy to learn a little more next time around.

quote:

That is pretty spoilery. I will say this much: this is a question I will definitely answer in the series.

You know, something about the way you phrased that makes me thing "resting comfortably" is something the original Brimstone Angel isn't doing (unless you're being sneaky...). Now I've got myself speculating from the plausible (she's some sort of undead- can warlocks be liches?) to the less likely (Asmodeus turned her into some sort of devil as a "reward" for helping him ascend) to the "MG has obviously been reading too much Wheel of Time for his own good" (Farideh or Haviliar is not just her descendant, but her reincarnation!) Since both books so far have revealed a bit more about the Toril Thirteen, I'd wager this'll likely come up in Adeversary too.

quote:
The epilogue is not lying--Sairche and Rhand come back.

Can't say I'm surprised here- two of the creepiest, most sinister villains putting their heads together is not going to end well. Of course, Sairche pretty clearly has her own agenda (or at least, she's riding on Glasya's agenda), and I fully expect Rhand does as well, so it may be each other their alliance won't end well for...

Oh, and one more thing I'd meant to ask and forgotten- during my most recent re-read, I noted some parallels between Farideh and Lorcan's situations when they start out. Namely, the fact that as a tiefling, Farideh finds herself a social outcast among mortals with little prospect of making good in her life because everyone assumes her devil blood means she'll go bad... while Lorcan has the opposite problem, being unable to amount to much in the hierarchy of the Hells because his mortal blood means most devils think he's too inconsequential to take seriously (thankfully, Fari has a much, much, much better family situation, though). Was this kind of contrast between fiend-blooded mortal and mortal-blooded fiend deliberate on your part?

I wish that the Ring had never come to me. I wish that none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

Edited by - MasterGhandalf on 12 Apr 2013 03:55:52
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2013 :  17:59:17  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*mysterious shrug*

quote:
Originally posted by MasterGhandalf

Oh, and one more thing I'd meant to ask and forgotten- during my most recent re-read, I noted some parallels between Farideh and Lorcan's situations when they start out. Namely, the fact that as a tiefling, Farideh finds herself a social outcast among mortals with little prospect of making good in her life because everyone assumes her devil blood means she'll go bad... while Lorcan has the opposite problem, being unable to amount to much in the hierarchy of the Hells because his mortal blood means most devils think he's too inconsequential to take seriously (thankfully, Fari has a much, much, much better family situation, though). Was this kind of contrast between fiend-blooded mortal and mortal-blooded fiend deliberate on your part?

Okay, bear with me: the full answer might be a little flaky. Yes and no.

There are a lot of things about the characters in this book that I didn't do intentionally in a conscious way, but once I realized I was doing them, I definitely played up. The very best example of this is the way in Brimstone Angels Rohini and Farideh's internal arcs are mirrors of each other. Both are the more rule-bound sister, both are striving to shed the bad associations of their race, both are fighting against their natural reactions in a sense--and both are trapped in some way and embrace something they probably shouldn't to escape. That, believe it or not, was not in my outline. It just happened organically.

Lorcan became a cambion really early on, because that looked right. I decided I wanted to have an erinyes "boss" in the story and having her be related seemed good. It wasn't until I was trying make sure I had down who was what kind of immortal and what kind of dead when they got killed that I realized cambions were never mentioned in the hierarchy. And that that was freaking interesting. And then I found mentions that erinyes produced infant erinyes in 3.5...and the potential switch was even more interesting. Lastly, some of the things I needed Lorcan to do (like teleport to Farideh at will) we're waaaay outside the cambion's skillset. So he needed magic items--which are exponentially more interesting if they aren't yours. When you set those things together, it's really natural to find someone like Lorcan, I think.

So it was intentional eventually, but it grew out of the story. I didn't sit down planning it.

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2013 :  18:22:05  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've posted my Gen Con 2013 schedule on my blog, here: http://slushlush.com/2013/07/gen-con-2013/

I also realized I never shared this post, about the use of Draconic in the Brimstone Angels/Farideh series: http://slushlush.com/2013/04/a-draconic-primer/

Lastly, I'm soliciting "Infrequently Asked Questions" for a series on my blog. If you have small, silly, or obscure questions for me, post them!

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

lordsknight185
Seeker

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2013 :  23:37:23  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Obscure question time!

Being twins, havi and fari have the same horn patterns, right? Because the cover art of book 1 portrays them differently.
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2013 :  04:46:41  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erin, I have a few questions for you.

1) Did you consult with Paul Kemp before writing "Lesser Evils" and "The Adversary"?
I ask because you're using Asmodeus and Glasya, while he's using Mephistopheles. Also, you're both using the Netherese, although I don't know how extensively you plan to use them in "The Adversary". So I'm just wondering if you 2 talked to make sure you didn't work at cross ends.

2) Do you have limits on what you're allowed to do within the context of the novel?
For instance, can you have Asmodeus be overthrown if you want? Or can you have Havilar and Co. free all the Chosen from the Netherese dungeons?

3) Finally, does Glasya actually want to dethrone Asmodeus?
I notice that we (through Lorcan's ears) didn't hear the entirety of her conversation with daddy dearest.

One more thing before I go. THANK YOU SO MUCH for including Tam in your adventure. I have thoroughly enjoyed 4e's treatment of the Netherese. They are excellent villains, and WOTC maximized their potential. However, my biggest pet peeve in 4e has been the neglect of Selune.

In the FRCG, we saw that she is in her waxing phase, and has become a Greater Goddess once more. Shar caused the Spellplague, started the Shadowstorm, and helped Netheril expand enough to become Faerun's greatest threat. Meanwhile, Selune is sitting around twiddling her thumbs. RAS has the Thayans opposing Netheril. Kemp has priests of Lathander and Mask opposing Shar and Netheril. The FRCG had Bane fighting Shar over rulership of Hoar. 3e had Mystra as Shar's main opposition. It seems like the entirety of WOTC has forgotten the existence of Selune or any of her worshippers. So thank you for at least acknowledging Selune.
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2013 :  19:21:41  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Lilianviaten!

Finally back from Gen Con, so here are some answers:

quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

1) Did you consult with Paul Kemp before writing "Lesser Evils" and "The Adversary"?
I ask because you're using Asmodeus and Glasya, while he's using Mephistopheles. Also, you're both using the Netherese, although I don't know how extensively you plan to use them in "The Adversary". So I'm just wondering if you 2 talked to make sure you didn't work at cross ends.

Before Brimstone Angels & Lesser Evils, no--because at that point Paul was basically on hiatus. I'd read his books, obviously, but there wasn't much to talk about until Godborn came back to life! However from the Sundering on, we've been in much closer contact--from outlines to more specific things. He asked for my input on how Asmodeus would contact Mephistopheles and I got him to look over the ways my devils gossip about Mephisto post-Godborn, for example. We're all on the same page. :) I think it's a boon that Glasya and Mephistopheles are pretty easy to work with in concert--they don't particularly loathe each other or like each other. Yet.

With the Netherese, fortunately we're talking about characters on vastly different levels--power-wise and socially. So having that knowledge of the outlines has been enough!

quote:

2) Do you have limits on what you're allowed to do within the context of the novel?
For instance, can you have Asmodeus be overthrown if you want? Or can you have Havilar and Co. free all the Chosen from the Netherese dungeons?

They're giving us a lot more leeway nowadays, but I still have to get everything approved. I'm almost positive I can't do anything that would break the world--I am DEFINITELY not allowed to kill Mystra again. :) But I could pitch having Asmodeus overthrown--so long as I tell a good story and I don't stomp on anyone else and TRPG signs on and I give them time to accomodate it. I could also cement his position--with all the same caveats. What they want most is really good stories that keep building the world.

And if you are dancing around a different question: plans are coming together for what happens to Asmodeus.

quote:
I notice that we (through Lorcan's ears) didn't hear the entirety of her conversation with daddy dearest.

She does, BUT keep in mind, she's an archdevil--when she says that, she's talking a long game. Centuries or millenia into the future...unless the opportunity arises sooner. And I guarantee part of what you didn't hear was Asmodeus reminding her exactly how unprepared she is to take his throne.

quote:
One more thing before I go. THANK YOU SO MUCH for including Tam in your adventure. I have thoroughly enjoyed 4e's treatment of the Netherese. They are excellent villains, and WOTC maximized their potential. However, my biggest pet peeve in 4e has been the neglect of Selune.

In the FRCG, we saw that she is in her waxing phase, and has become a Greater Goddess once more. Shar caused the Spellplague, started the Shadowstorm, and helped Netheril expand enough to become Faerun's greatest threat. Meanwhile, Selune is sitting around twiddling her thumbs. RAS has the Thayans opposing Netheril. Kemp has priests of Lathander and Mask opposing Shar and Netheril. The FRCG had Bane fighting Shar over rulership of Hoar. 3e had Mystra as Shar's main opposition. It seems like the entirety of WOTC has forgotten the existence of Selune or any of her worshippers. So thank you for at least acknowledging Selune.

You're welcome! As I said at the Candlekeep seminar when they asked who everyone's favorite god was, I love writing about Asmodeus, but Selune is my homegirl.

You may notice she crops up frequently in the series. If Asmodeus is playing the long game, I think Selune is playing the...broad game, I guess. (And if you have not seen "The Resurrection Agent" from Realms of the Dead, Selune gets some love there too. )

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2013 :  22:07:46  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ErinMEvans

Hi Lilianviaten!

Finally back from Gen Con, so here are some answers:

quote:

Before Brimstone Angels & Lesser Evils, no--because at that point Paul was basically on hiatus. I'd read his books, obviously, but there wasn't much to talk about until Godborn came back to life! However from the Sundering on, we've been in much closer contact--from outlines to more specific things. He asked for my input on how Asmodeus would contact Mephistopheles and I got him to look over the ways my devils gossip about Mephisto post-Godborn, for example. We're all on the same page. :) I think it's a boon that Glasya and Mephistopheles are pretty easy to work with in concert--they don't particularly loathe each other or like each other. Yet.

With the Netherese, fortunately we're talking about characters on vastly different levels--power-wise and socially. So having that knowledge of the outlines has been enough!

quote:

They're giving us a lot more leeway nowadays, but I still have to get everything approved. I'm almost positive I can't do anything that would break the world--I am DEFINITELY not allowed to kill Mystra again. :) But I could pitch having Asmodeus overthrown--so long as I tell a good story and I don't stomp on anyone else and TRPG signs on and I give them time to accomodate it. I could also cement his position--with all the same caveats. What they want most is really good stories that keep building the world.

And if you are dancing around a different question: plans are coming together for what happens to Asmodeus.

quote:

She does, BUT keep in mind, she's an archdevil--when she says that, she's talking a long game. Centuries or millenia into the future...unless the opportunity arises sooner. And I guarantee part of what you didn't hear was Asmodeus reminding her exactly how unprepared she is to take his throne.

quote:

You're welcome! As I said at the Candlekeep seminar when they asked who everyone's favorite god was, I love writing about Asmodeus, but Selune is my homegirl.

You may notice she crops up frequently in the series. If Asmodeus is playing the long game, I think Selune is playing the...broad game, I guess. (And if you have not seen "The Resurrection Agent" from Realms of the Dead, Selune gets some love there too. )

Thank you for the answers. I wanted to finish Lesser Evils before I posted here again, and I have! It was awesome. There is one question I have, that you may have left intentionally vague: Was the Adolican Rand at the end of Lesser Evils? The one Sairche struck a deal with?

Also, you have my highest praise for how you have handled the gods. I like seeing clerics and paladins grapple with their faith, and I think that is exactly the mystery most fans want the gods to have.

I generally just skim over romantic scenes, because I much prefer to read about battles, dungeon crawling, or political intrigue (yes, I'm a guy LOL). But I LOVE Havilar and Brin together. Very well done. Horns and tails are usually dealbreakers for me, but she's an alluring character. I'm less enthusiastic about Farideh and Lorcan.

Great move to make Tam a Harper spymaster. I think he's perfect for the job (and Dahl is a great addition too). The interplay of the Harpers and Zhentarim was excellent, and I'm enjoying the intrigue of the Hells. I'm glad they are giving you some leeway, because you know what you're doing!

Any idea when we'll get a sample chapter from The Adversary?
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2013 :  22:45:04  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Thank you for the answers. I wanted to finish Lesser Evils before I posted here again, and I have! It was awesome. There is one question I have, that you may have left intentionally vague: Was the Adolican Rand at the end of Lesser Evils? The one Sairche struck a deal with?

Yes. That's him.

quote:
Also, you have my highest praise for how you have handled the gods. I like seeing clerics and paladins grapple with their faith, and I think that is exactly the mystery most fans want the gods to have.

Glad you enjoyed it! That's definitely my preference too. Faith without doubt is just facts, so where's the story?

quote:
I generally just skim over romantic scenes, because I much prefer to read about battles, dungeon crawling, or political intrigue (yes, I'm a guy LOL). But I LOVE Havilar and Brin together. Very well done. Horns and tails are usually dealbreakers for me, but she's an alluring character. I'm less enthusiastic about Farideh and Lorcan.

There seem to be four groups of people when it comes to Farideh and Lorcan as a couple:
1) people who think Lorcan is awful and Farideh ought to ditch him or set him on fire or something
2) people who think Lorcan is kind of swoon-worthy and Farideh will save him.
3) people who are conflicted about the whole thing and wish he'd change for himself, or maybe for her, or think maybe they could just have like a fling? That's okay right? I mean you can't ask for this to work out. We can't, can we?
4) Me, cackling over the whole subplot

EDIT: I meant to add too, that the funny thing about Havi and Brin was that I had always intended to break them up before they ever got started. They just seemed so badly suited to each other. But then when the sequel I'd intended to write in Cormyr got pushed out to accomodate first the Zhentarim book and then the Sundering, and Havi and Brin started hanging around each other...I realized they clicked in a surprisingly organic way.

quote:
Great move to make Tam a Harper spymaster. I think he's perfect for the job (and Dahl is a great addition too). The interplay of the Harpers and Zhentarim was excellent, and I'm enjoying the intrigue of the Hells. I'm glad they are giving you some leeway, because you know what you're doing!

Thank you very much!

quote:
Any idea when we'll get a sample chapter from The Adversary?

I'm not sure about the official sample chapter, but if it doesn't come sooner, I'm hoping to post 5-6 excerpts weekly starting in late October.

www.slushlush.com

Edited by - ErinMEvans on 29 Aug 2013 22:48:54
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  18:09:40  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erin,

Just finished your short story from When the Hero Comes Home 2, Rmnants.

Loved it. The witch and her "handsome boy" might be my favorites of your characters. A lot of depth there in such few words.

Nicely done!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2013 :  20:18:49  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Erin,

Just finished your short story from When the Hero Comes Home 2, Rmnants.

Loved it. The witch and her "handsome boy" might be my favorites of your characters. A lot of depth there in such few words.

Nicely done!

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed the story.

I cheated a little--they're based on my grandparents.

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2013 :  20:57:07  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all!

I'm participating in this year's Extra Life gaming charity event, with the D&D R&D team. For 25-hours straight, they'll be running a D&D game, which will be broadcast on D&D's Twitch channel on November 2nd (more on that in a sec)

The important part is that the donations you make go toward the Children's Miracle Network, helping kids receive the care they need--especially when things get tough.

To make it fun, your donations can directly affect the game in a few ways:
1. If I raise a total of $250 by October 31st, I'll play the game as Havilar (from Brimstone Angels and Adversary), instead of a pre-gen character.
2. Donations can be applied to specific items. Sort of like a safer Hunger Games, you can send a gift to a player before OR during the game. For example, giving $25 can get me a much needed healing potion.
3....I don't want to tell you Number 3.

...I guess it's for the kids.

...*sigh*

You can also donate to Greg Bilsland, the DM of the game, to unlock worse monsters for the players to fight. But it's getting bad, guys. There's a chance he'll unlock a tarrasque!

All donations are tax-deductible and all proceeds go to Children's Miracle Network. Donations made to me go to Seattle Children's Hospital specifically. The game will be broadcast on November 2nd (and November 3rd)--I'll be playing from 4-8pm.

Here's a link: www.extra-life.org/participant/emevans
And here's a link to the team: http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.team&teamID=12392

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2013 :  10:14:27  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No questions here. Just wanted to say that I'm currently reading The Adversary and thoroughly enjoy it so far. I'm a bit surprised at how easily I can identify with Farideh, despite her being a tiefling. I haven't read the Brimstone Angel series but those novels are now on my reading list.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2013 :  05:18:31  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

No questions here. Just wanted to say that I'm currently reading The Adversary and thoroughly enjoy it so far. I'm a bit surprised at how easily I can identify with Farideh, despite her being a tiefling. I haven't read the Brimstone Angel series but those novels are now on my reading list.

I'm very glad to hear it!

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2014 :  20:35:25  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,

The sample chapter for FIRE IN THE BLOOD is up on Wizards.com. It includes the "map" for this one: an illustrated family tree of the Obarskyrs. Hope you enjoy

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/fiction/novels/fire-blood

EDIT: Ooh, also, I have the Crownsilver half of that tree in reserve. Apparently, you can't cram that much lineage in a paperback book's spread. I'm going to see if they'll let me post it separately.

www.slushlush.com

Edited by - ErinMEvans on 19 Aug 2014 20:41:14
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  01:42:02  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
October can't get here fast enough

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2015 :  16:46:53  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings Ms. Evans,

i recently finished The Adversary and found it an enjoyable read even with not much background lore on the characters (i haven't read your previous works but knew the basics from forum and wiki sources). I have some questions regarding the last chapters but, since i don't know how much time has to pass before book endings can be discussed freely, i'll cover it all up in beige, highlight to read. In case some of these get covered in later books, i'm happy to wait to get my hands on those books.

1) The Nameless One knew the Fountains of Memory could open up gates (Farideh told her), she knew Shar wasn't going to save her and her last scene concludes with "Show me Sakkors ...", did she survive?
2) IF (big if) the Nameless One survived, whose divine spark is that recovered by Zahnya in her last scene?
3) Do the events of The Adversary take place before or after the adventure module Dreams of the Red Wizards: Dead in Thay?
4) Zanhya gives Magros the "Scepter of Alzrius", is this the same Alzrius "Lord of Infernal Light" appearing in the AD&D Planescape: Hellbound, the Blood War set? Is this his first appearance in FR, right? And, since the description of the Scepter and the lore on the Planescape Alzrius seem to match and Levistus is set on a clear course of action, are we going to see more Lords of the Nine working to throw off the yoke of Asmodeus in your future novels? Time for another Reckoning?

Many thanks for your past, present and future contributions to the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2015 :  18:14:25  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Demzer

quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

1) The Nameless One knew the Fountains of Memory could open up gates (Farideh told her), she knew Shar wasn't going to save her and her last scene concludes with "Show me Sakkors ...", did she survive?
2) IF (big if) the Nameless One survived, whose divine spark is that recovered by Zahnya in her last scene?
3) Do the events of The Adversary take place before or after the adventure module Dreams of the Red Wizards: Dead in Thay?
4) Zanhya gives Magros the "Scepter of Alzrius", is this the same Alzrius "Lord of Infernal Light" appearing in the AD&D Planescape: Hellbound, the Blood War set? Is this his first appearance in FR, right? And, since the description of the Scepter and the lore on the Planescape Alzrius seem to match and Levistus is set on a clear course of action, are we going to see more Lords of the Nine working to throw off the yoke of Asmodeus in your future novels? Time for another Reckoning?

Many thanks for your past, present and future contributions to the Realms.

I think you're in the clear for spoilers, but I'll beige the font too:

1. This is intentionally vague. I wanted to potentially preserve her for RPG use, but thus far she's not been used, and I suspect she won't be. She won't reappear in Ashes of the Tyrant either. I'd like to think she survives, if only because I like her as an antagonist. But having her die there is kind of poetic. In short, she's alive if someone wants her to be.
2. Not every one of the Chosen in the camp was saved. Some of them held out and died in the explosion. The divine spark is an accumulation of all those who died--not a lot, but something. As above, it might include the Nameless One's.
3. The adventure modules are, to my knowledge, undated and I wasn't involved in their development beyond the summits. But my impression is that Dead in Thay comes after The Adversary
4. That is the same Alzrius. There is definitely some dissatisfaction in the ranks. The scepter's role in the story is not finished. That's probably all I should say.

If you go back and read the first two books, you'll see there's absolutely a direction toward insurrection in Baator. Not outright rebellion, mind. That toes the edge of what I think devils are. But manipulating the situation such that the only natural course of action becomes seizing the throne. Glasya is certainly keen to succeed her father. And with even an inkling of that other archlords--Levistus and Mammon in particular--seem like they'd be planning to counter her, or get the @#%$ out of the Hells, if need be. How that shakes out depends on a few factors, not all of which are in my hands. :)

Hope that helps!

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2015 :  18:02:41  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I realize this is a delicate question, Ms. Evans, but how much free reign do you have in restructuring the hierarchy of the Hells? Do you have anyone that you aren't allowed to kill or dethrone?
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2015 :  19:22:00  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I realize this is a delicate question, Ms. Evans, but how much free reign do you have in restructuring the hierarchy of the Hells? Do you have anyone that you aren't allowed to kill or dethrone?

Honestly, I don't really get free rein for this sort of thing. RPG has very tight control these days on what the world looks like, and my story isn't reason enough to shake things up.

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2015 :  23:19:40  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So would it be accurate to say they give you a few things that must happen, and you write your story toward making those work?

For example, if they wanted a different devil to rule the Hells in 5e, would they give you that ending and let you choose how to make that happen?
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2015 :  17:22:48  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So would it be accurate to say they give you a few things that must happen, and you write your story toward making those work?

For example, if they wanted a different devil to rule the Hells in 5e, would they give you that ending and let you choose how to make that happen?

I'm hesitant to answer this, because it might spoil things about my own books.

In general the process goes two ways these days:
1) I want to make something happen. I lay it out. They come back with:
a) Yes, that's fine
b) No, we already said X in the sourcebooks/we don't like that

2) They have a story arc in mind. They tell me. I respond with:
a) Okay. I'm going to do it like this (return to #1)
b) No. That doesn't work for me. What are my options?

EDIT: And I should point out that something like your hypothetical question would probably look like me saying "Why? What's the purpose? What's the goal? What are you trying to do here so I have something to pull up?" Or, in the case of b, "Do you know that that doesn't align with what's been said? Do you know that X precludes Y? Are you willing to flex on these points?" Versus "No, I won't be a part of that," or something similarly obstinate.

I suspect you are trying to tease out the end-state of the Nine Hells? I think if you really want to do that, the answer is here. Hopefully that doesn't stop you from reading the rest of the series.

www.slushlush.com

Edited by - ErinMEvans on 11 Feb 2015 17:25:26
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2015 :  17:42:35  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, they kind of spoiled the fate of Asmodeus anyway, so...

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2015 :  21:14:03  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Yeah, they kind of spoiled the fate of Asmodeus anyway, so...

So I hope the process is just as intriguing as the result. (Or that people find other things to be interested in?)

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2015 :  21:38:56  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I can see, your stories are more about the characters, with the reshuffling of the powers of the Nine Hells being a background for that. A spoiler on the current state Asmodeus would hardly make them less interesting.

EDIT: If my previous post sounded like ''we already know what happens to Asmodeus, and that makes continuing to read the books less interesting'', that's not what I meant. Sorry if it came off like that.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 11 Feb 2015 22:01:04
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2015 :  06:40:34  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the response, Erin! The process of keeping things consistent between novels and sourcebooks seems interesting (and probably a bit frustrating at times). Like others have said, your characters are compelling and your stories are fun, so I'll keep reading regardless. I'm really curious to see if there's anyway Cormyr allows a tiefling to sit on the throne, and what becomes of Lorcan and Sairche once the Hells come crashing down.

As others have said, the fall of Asmodeus was virtually guaranteed. We all know how massive displeasure with 4e forced WOTC to reverse a lot of its prior changes. From what I recall, the godhood of Asmodeus was widely disliked, so of course it's among the first changes to happen.

What interests me is who will sit on the throne. Even without his godhood, Asmodeus has enough power and cleverness to keep his position. But Glasya and Levistus are just as sneaky as can be, and I'm sure a dark horse is gathering power somewhere. One more hypothetical, if you don't mind. Do you get to choose who sits on the Dragon Throne next? Because I almost think you're setting Brin up for it, but then I kinda think he's going to ride off with Havilar into a life of adventuring.
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2015 :  18:28:00  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for the response, Erin! The process of keeping things consistent between novels and sourcebooks seems interesting (and probably a bit frustrating at times). Like others have said, your characters are compelling and your stories are fun, so I'll keep reading regardless. I'm really curious to see if there's anyway Cormyr allows a tiefling to sit on the throne, and what becomes of Lorcan and Sairche once the Hells come crashing down.

As others have said, the fall of Asmodeus was virtually guaranteed. We all know how massive displeasure with 4e forced WOTC to reverse a lot of its prior changes. From what I recall, the godhood of Asmodeus was widely disliked, so of course it's among the first changes to happen.

What interests me is who will sit on the throne. Even without his godhood, Asmodeus has enough power and cleverness to keep his position. But Glasya and Levistus are just as sneaky as can be, and I'm sure a dark horse is gathering power somewhere. One more hypothetical, if you don't mind. Do you get to choose who sits on the Dragon Throne next? Because I almost think you're setting Brin up for it, but then I kinda think he's going to ride off with Havilar into a life of adventuring.

HMMM...it sounds like maybe I *do* have some surprises still.

At the risk of spoiling what could otherwise be unspoiled:I would say [Spoilers] reread what's been said about Asmodeus. It's more ambiguous than it seems and more information is coming.

That said if I could remake the Hells at my leisure, I would actually keep Asmodeus as ruler and as a god. I know others don't like it, but it makes a lot of sense to me and also makes the Blood War more compelling, IMO (which I can ramble on about a lot, but I will hold back until someone actually notes they want to talk about that). But I would get rid of Levistus (preferably in a blaze of usefulness to make it clear why Asmodeus let him live all this time--Levistus is awful and everyone seems to hate him) and make Fierna throw Belial under the bus, but possibly suffer for it, especially if she leaned on Glasya for help. I'd make Glasya come out smelling like roses, but seething and heading down Mephistopheles' path. I think it would be interesting to consider popping Gargauth into Levistus's place, although that would require some story to unveil. Should I ever run a campaign, that might be an interesting high-level story, actually...

But: shared world.

As for the next ruler of Cormyr, if you've read Fire in the Blood, the answer is on the Rissar page before the epilogue. Who comes after that, is indeed up in the air, but my intention and the implication is that the next ruler of Cormyr has a long and storied reign, and the question of a successor won't come up in the canon unless they do another massive timejump.

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2015 :  00:31:46  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Who comes after that, is indeed up in the air, but my intention and the implication is that the next ruler of Cormyr has a long and storied reign, and the question of a successor won't come up in the canon unless they do another massive timejump.

Bite your tongue!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2015 :  19:45:34  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
... the Blood War ... (which I can ramble on about a lot, but I will hold back until someone actually notes they want to talk about that) ...

*raises hand*

Please!

And don't worry if it's 0.1% "canon" and 99.9% Erin-M-Evans-Awesomeness, i just care for your opinion as a knowledgeable author. I wrecked the Lower Planes in my campaign and hearing/reading what others (who know what they're talking about) have in mind regarding demons, devils, their planar homes and the Blood War is always useful and fascinating.

So please, go ahead.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000