Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 D&D overkill
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2012 :  14:54:19  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
A few weeks ago a few friends from university came over to hang out, and out of the blue wanted to play D&D. Naturally, I obliged. Since then I've earned the nickname of Dungeon Master and I get requests from other students and classmates if they can join in. Wow, I never thought D&D was so popular! I suddenly realized I'm in a lot of different D&D groups.

I run a 1E Ruins of Adventure/Pool of Radiance game with my friends from university with about 3-7 player. We play once a week and sometimes more often.

Last year I started a 4E Neverwinter campaign with 3 players. Unfortunately one of the players has to travel a lot so we only play once every 3-4 months.

I play a gnome cleric of Gond in a 3.5 Waterdeep/Undermountain campaign with 4 other players (+ DM). But because I have to travel twice as long then it takes us to play I can only occasionally join in.

And I run a BECMI Moonshae campaign with my original D&D group. Because we all live in different parts of the country we only play once every 6 months or something.

Two years ago I hardly played and now I'm overwhelmed! Am I the only one with so many groups?

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1270 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2012 :  15:57:35  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyranthraxus

A few weeks ago a few friends from university came over to hang out, and out of the blue wanted to play D&D. Naturally, I obliged. Since then I've earned the nickname of Dungeon Master and I get requests from other students and classmates if they can join in. Wow, I never thought D&D was so popular! I suddenly realized I'm in a lot of different D&D groups.

I run a 1E Ruins of Adventure/Pool of Radiance game with my friends from university with about 3-7 player. We play once a week and sometimes more often.

Last year I started a 4E Neverwinter campaign with 3 players. Unfortunately one of the players has to travel a lot so we only play once every 3-4 months.

I play a gnome cleric of Gond in a 3.5 Waterdeep/Undermountain campaign with 4 other players (+ DM). But because I have to travel twice as long then it takes us to play I can only occasionally join in.

And I run a BECMI Moonshae campaign with my original D&D group. Because we all live in different parts of the country we only play once every 6 months or something.

Two years ago I hardly played and now I'm overwhelmed! Am I the only one with so many groups?

Nah. As soon as you're willing to be "it" (the DM) you get swamped. :P
When I started DMing, I did it because a friend wanted to play but didn't have the funding to travel to my weekly gaming group. So, I whipped up an adventure idea I had in my head and agreed to run a game at his house.
Soon after, I was asked to run another game for another friend. (I worked in a Hobby Game store so word travelled fast) before I knew it, I was juggling four different games at once. I solved my overload by merging all four stories into a single plotline. It worked out well, because many of the groups soon either moved or members started having kids and little time for gaming.
But anyway, nah, you're not alone. :) Just don't forget; every DM needs a break now and then to let his hair down and just be a PC for awhile.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2012 :  20:58:58  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

Just don't forget; every DM needs a break now and then to let his hair down and just be a PC for awhile.
Very true. And one reason why I'm liking the D&D Next playtesting, because I get to be a PC instead of running the show.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 07 Jul 2012 21:00:14
Go to Top of Page

vorpalanvil
Seeker

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2012 :  09:14:50  Show Profile Send vorpalanvil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Totally true. Lots of players, few DM's. I wish I could get one if my players to run a semi regular pick up game to change pace and give me a break. On the other side I have realized that before I DMed I could never understand how people derived pleasure from it. Now that I've been DMing on a regular basis since 05 or so, I find myself terribly bored as a player.

"I'm a busy man! I got places to go, monsters to kill!" attributed to 1st level bard
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000