Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Waterdeep
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2012 :  15:42:42  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have tried now to divulge the texts concerning waterdeep and its inhabitants. It says in FRCS that the population is: 1.347.840 and it says that Waterdeep the metropolis has 132.661 inhabitants. So how am I to understand this. Is it the country Waterdeep with all its farm and what not outside the city that gives a total of 1.3mill or is it 132.661 permanent residences and 1.2 mill travelers inside the city at all times or what???

I have tried but cant seem to get to any firm conclusion. Can anyone help please.

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2012 :  15:46:53  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the city has 100K inhabitants inside it, and its surroundings/ area of influence count for the 1.3 mi. Of course, this count changes with the seasons, and the city can house more people in itself if a large scale attack occurs in the surrounding area.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2012 :  15:50:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe Barastir is correct.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  19:37:58  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks... It was a big problem, since i could find no evidence that farms existed outside waterdeep city.

Also I would like to ask if anyone could tell me about the trade of the city. Im thinking en terms of import/ export. What goods and how much a city of that size would need to sustain life!
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2012 :  02:07:49  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of the food comes from Goldenfields, horses and other goods come from northern small cities like Rassalantar and Amphail, and it also trades with Daggerford to the south and the nearby villages (all under its influence). However, some goods come to the city through the sea, from the Moonshaes and other cities of the Sword Coast - like Baldur's Gate -, and part comes through regular caravans from the south (Scornubel and beyond) and from Silverymoon, Everlund, and maybe even Mirabar.

There are details about imports and exports in the 1e Waterdeep and the North and in the 2e The North boxed set, and probably more in newer books. I'll try to post something about it later in this week.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 28 Jun 2012 02:10:55
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2012 :  09:26:43  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find it hard to believe that over 1 million people live in a few farms and small villages in the direct area of Waterdeep while the whole country of cormyr only has 1.4 million inhabintants
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2012 :  12:11:35  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found this on Waterddep and the North:

"Waterdeep's population rarely falls below 122,000 beings. The actual number varies greatly with the seasons, as so much of it consists of those visiting in the course of conducting trade. In times of busiest trade, the City often holds five times as many. Such busy times (apart from special occasions caused by wars, bountiful harvests, Shieldmeet - described in the Campaign Set - and the like) occur fairly regularly at "full spring", when winter is fully gone without threat to the reasonable-minded of its return and the transportation routes over land and sea are fully open, and after the fall harvest in the North (before the threat of winter's mud can become a reality, closing the roads, and the granaries and warehouses are bursting with food destined for the South)."

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2012 :  12:25:32  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And those came from the 1e Moonshae sourcebook:

"Route A: Callidyrr to Waterdeep

This is one of the most active trading routes into the Moonshaes, since Caer Callidyrr is the largest and most accessible port on the islands. The route takes approximately 8 days, given average winds and a reasonably fast boat, when traveling from Callidyrr to Waterdeep. The current, which flows northward, lengthens the return trip to 10 or 11 days. From Waterdeep, encountered vessels are likely to be longships of the northmen that have embarked on trading missions. The northmen may offer spice, oil, or cloth in exchange
for the fine steel of the Ffolk
."

"Route C: North Kingdoms to Waterdeep

The ports and fortress cities of Rottesheim, Norheim, Iron Bay, and Gnarhelm provide the major stopping points to the lands of the northmen. From here, longships strike northward to the distant port of Waterdeep, and the nearer isles of Ruathym. The trip to Waterdeep requires about 8 days when sailing north, 10 days when sailing south. From the Moonshaes, the northmen send slaves and weapons of the Ffolk that they have gained through combat or trade. In return, the northmen receive the amenities of life from more civilized lands: oil, gold, woven cloth, and exotic liquors
."

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page