Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Trigger gnomes in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  04:23:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This is just too scarily awesome for my inner-tinker-gnome-geek:-

Creature Daily, via Kobold Quarterly, presents the Trigger Gnome!

I can definitely seeing these popping up unexpectedly in dungeons and other surprise locations across the Realms... most probably originating from Lantanese Techsmiths, and maybe acting as companion pieces for their mechanical Gondsmen.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 10 May 2012 04:24:16

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  20:02:42  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-A Gnome Bob-omb.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  22:02:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I like those! Kinda reminds me of Spelljammer's autognomes...

The Bob-omb is an apt analogy.

Speaking of Bob-ombs, I found, at my local Toys R Us, these candy containers shaped like Bob-ombs. I took one, cleaned it out, strung a piece of white yarn thru the top, and made it into a Christmas ornament! I believe in having a very unique tree.

Back on topic... Sage's idea has merit, though if using them in that category, I'd likely loose the gnomish appearance. I'd make them look like any other gondsmen, maybe with one or two physical giveaways.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2012 :  01:47:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Oh, I like those! Kinda reminds me of Spelljammer's autognomes...
I knew they reminded me of something!
quote:
Back on topic... Sage's idea has merit, though if using them in that category, I'd likely loose the gnomish appearance. I'd make them look like any other gondsmen, maybe with one or two physical giveaways.
Agreed.

Plus, it would help to establish that the Lantanese Techsmiths aren't all gnomes and tinkerers, which still seems to be a very common misconception based on the earlier focus of DRAGONLANCE tinker gnomes in 2e.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2012 :  02:40:14  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

The Bob-omb is an apt analogy.

Speaking of Bob-ombs, I found, at my local Toys R Us, these candy containers shaped like Bob-ombs. I took one, cleaned it out, strung a piece of white yarn thru the top, and made it into a Christmas ornament! I believe in having a very unique tree.

-My girlfriend got two little candy things, in a case shaped like a red (cherry) and green (apple) mushroom. I ate basically all of the apple ones, and she gave me the case- as a constant reminder as to my gluttony, maybe.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2012 :  17:56:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like them gnome-sized (and styled). I would just say these were Autognomes with booby-traps.

@Sage - you ever play WoW? You'd love to do Gnomregan runs.

I hated Gnomregan - basically a fantasy version of Chernobyl + Terminator. Still, the concepts was pretty cool (just hated doing those runs). They have several different types of AI bombs/boobytraps/sentries - this one looks like it belongs in a Zelda (or Mario) game.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 11 May 2012 17:57:56
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2012 :  20:04:48  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-In my own setting, I've always had a hard time reconciling just how Gnomes belong. Deep Gnomes exist, and are kind of cousins to Dwarves, who protect their extremely small community, but normal Gnomes? Their status as 'Forgotten Folk' has hurt them in this regard.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2012 :  01:55:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I like them gnome-sized (and styled). I would just say these were Autognomes with booby-traps.

I don't have the requisite internet connection, I'm afraid... otherwise I'd be happily gaming in many of the MMOs that currently tickle my fantastical/science-fictional fancy.

Is there a site/wikia where I can find out more about these Gnomregans?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2012 :  04:17:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are some crazy things you'd love in there - it has a real 'Mt. Nevermind' vibe. It is semi-abandoned (last I heard), and is filled with some infected survivors (who are also violently insane).

I haven't been following Warcraft for quite some time, but there is a little background HERE.

WoW gnomes are heavily based on Krynnish Gnomes, and their tech, although designed to help, usually causes more problems then whatever it was trying to fix.

I have a theory that gnomes - the original fey race - are inquisitive by nature, but when they dabble in tech (which is anethema to most fey), it makes them nuts (some more affected then others). Its a whole "you must live in harmony with nature" thing run amok. Tech is to Gnomes what recreational drugs are to humans (and gold is to dwarves): They know its bad for them, but many just can't help themselves - its an addiction.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 May 2012 04:19:35
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2012 :  04:49:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I don't have the requisite internet connection, I'm afraid... otherwise I'd be happily gaming in many of the MMOs that currently tickle my fantastical/science-fictional fancy.

Is there a site/wikia where I can find out more about these Gnomregans?

Would your gremlins *let* you play an MMO?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2012 :  05:42:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He'd probably drive any guiild he joined nuts - I'll get to it..... eventually.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000