Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 How aged is the Realms fan base?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2012 :  19:59:07  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm almost 30, and have been known to spend oddly larger sums of money than I should on things very much like, with a price tag akin to, what you're talking about. But I'd be inclined to say no, I wouldn't because since I don't play (never have, most likely never will) and only really buy novels, we will keep the list of excess expenditures to money already spent in the past on sourcebooks I've already bought for no purpose other than reading pleasure. Because I get the impression that might just be a little silly.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2012 :  05:33:01  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm 25 and buy the novels, and occasionally, sourcebooks. Haven't tried the games. No time.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2012 :  04:24:13  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Median age at a guess would be late 30’s, and probably driven down to early 30’s when you add fans via video games like NWN, and so on.
But Realmslore by Greenwood at $100, sure. And I think I would be in the minority, because how you define a "typical Forgotten Realms Fan" is a person who has spent about $100 total, and that’s assuming they bought a $50 dollar game. For that fan to spend $100 seems unlikely.
I bought that Annotated Elminster hardcover, and have yet to open it. I am in my Richard Lee Byers phase, and it’s going to have to wait. But I had to have the Annotated Elminster white hardcover.
Didn’t they streamline a lot of 4th Edition because there people complained there was to much? There was to much lore, to many gods, to much map, and so on.
If that was the case, then I don’t think Greenwood Lore would sell. It’s just too much to sell.
On the other side, if those Premium 1st Editions that come out in July sell, than there are more grey beards about than I thought.

Former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2012 :  16:47:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thrasymachus

Didn’t they streamline a lot of 4th Edition because there people complained there was to much? There was to much lore, to many gods, to much map, and so on.
If that was the case, then I don’t think Greenwood Lore would sell. It’s just too much to sell.

The complaint, however, came more from people that weren't fans of the setting. So it's not really germane to this discussion.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2012 :  17:22:17  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oops

Former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".

Edited by - Thrasymachus on 15 Apr 2012 17:24:03
Go to Top of Page

EltonJ
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2012 :  17:58:15  Show Profile  Visit EltonJ's Homepage Send EltonJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm grumpy.

I'm too put out by fourth to buy anything from WotC. Okay, I'm whining. I will not buy a $100 book from WotC even for bragging rights. The reason is, I am sick and tired; and tired and sick to put up with a company's shennagans on the Forgotten Realms. I have more than enough resources to run the Forgotten Realms game I want. :)

If I am going to buy anything related to the Realms again that is current, I'm going to wait until the Intellectual Pooperty laws are null and void and everything is owned by the fans. I trust fan work over official work any day (sorry Steven and Erik), although you might get conflicting stories and extraplorations, that's really part of the charm. I really think that the Spellplague was a gimmick to boost Realms sales. Or Wizards listened to a minority of the fan base.

I set all of my campaigns pre-Spellplague where the Realms made logical sense. :)

Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2012 :  21:48:11  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vital stats: 38, same girlfriend for 21 years, cat.

I'll happily pay 100 USD for lore books of FR goodness. I prefer standard, but solid binding - a fantasy movie prop dont interest me. I also prefer a solid a book with a solid focus and a good editor, like the Old Grey Box - random notes about marsemban housing or Mirt's tailor's third cousin not so much.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2012 :  22:44:04  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, you mean I'm older than Sage?!??!! Incredible....

Ahem- dating myself here, but: 35(high-school in 90's, as someone guessed), married(12 yrs next month. Huzzah!), no children(that I'm actually raising, anyway- did have one, but she was adopted out. Still in contact, though.), and two cats that I only get to see when I visit my parents, as my current apartment doesn't allow cats. My budget would not normally allow for a book over 50$, so I'd only buy such a book if it were PURE Realmslore- with little crunch, and done by Ed. Preferably edition-neutral.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2012 :  01:06:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Wow, you mean I'm older than Sage?!??!! Incredible....
Remember, my age is dependent upon SageTime.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2012 :  01:15:01  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah. I keep forgetting how that warps real-time....

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6655 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2012 :  01:38:30  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm 41 years old, married for 11 years and have three kids.

I'm fortunate to have the means to indulge most of my hobby whims in terms of purchases, but little in the way of free time to actually use them (i.e. I haven't sat down for a game of D&D for oh, 21 years or so now ...). I would buy more FR stuff no matter what it was. Heck, I have a DDI subscription simply to get Ed's ongoing articles.

I'm one of those completist tragics. It's a bonus if the products are actually good. I have however gone off the majority of the 4E novels. I've been very selective in what I've purchased as some of the authors have not excited me at all based on their thematic prose choice and experience with pre-4E scribblings.

I'll buy the 5E Realms release immediately, should there be one. Hopefully it won't stand pristine on my bookshelf like the 4E version does.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2012 :  02:08:10  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm 46, in love for the past 11 years with a wonderful lady and have 2 young kids of 5 and 7.

I was around when the grey box came out and have been collecting everything FR related up to the 4th edition. Price has never been an issue concerning Realms product so i'll buy any 5e lore if they come back to the realms i love.

I have been an active DM for the last 28 years with at least a weekly game.

Pat

Dancing is like standing still, but faster.
My site: http://www.patoumonde.com
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2012 :  14:12:07  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I' m a bit over 20. $100 is a lot in my country's money. Hell, even $30 is a lot. $10 or thereabouts (the price of a FR novel) is the max I'd pay.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2012 :  18:12:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have kids older then many of you - 21 & 24.

I also have a 14 and 10 year old - all boys. I recently considered making another - there's just not enough of me in the world (okay - you guys can stop throwing-up now).

I was born August 30, 1963. My earliest memory was of the NY World's Fair... in '64. Since it ran to '65, the oldest I could ave been was 2 (and considering I recall running across a room to see the amazing push-button phones - I had to have been at least a toddler). My family says I am nuts... yet I remember several exhibits vividly.

That makes me - as of right now - 48. I first heard about D&D when I was 13, but it was one of those 'underground things' back then, and mostly college kids played (with photo-copied rules). By the time I was 15 I got my hands on a rulebook, and started playing right around 16 - that would be 1979. I used to go to Stonybrook college (SUNY) every Friday after school by train (it was only one stop), and take the train home late Sunday night. They let me sleep in the Science Fiction Forum - a Scifi/fantasy-specific library in the basement of one of the dorms (and anyone attending I-Con should ask about it). I did that for two years straight. Not sure what taught me more - the school, or the college girls.

D&D had become more then a game - it was a way for an overly-smart kid to find acceptance and have a social outlet (I never really 'fit-in' in HS). Without it, I may have been a statistic. I thought I should share that, because I oft-times come off strangely emotional about a 'silly game'.

EDIT: Ack!
It seems I missed the point entirely (my bad for reading the thread-title, and then just the last few posts on pg.2). YES, I would pay that price for something amazing. ATM I have zero disposable income, but will hopefully have boatloads of it in the very near future.

If you are referring to the new "Elminster's Realms" book - I think that would be an amazing approach - faux leather-bound, reading very much like a Volo's Guide, but much broader in-scope. Part-story, part resource, and all ED Greenwood. To me, that is the ideal Campaign Setting Guide.

And then (perhaps the following holiday season) a cheaper edition, but in a 'gift box', which would include some spiffy maps, play-aids (whatever those will be in 5e), and perhaps a little in-game chapbook (what one would actually look and feel like, if one were in Waterdeep). Your choice of subject - but an extended version of One Comes, Unheralded, to Zirta would be friggin' SWEET.

And yes, I do believe you can get people to pay that big price tag TWICE, if the box has things not found elsewhere, and also because many of us like to have two copies of everything -a dog-eared one we read over-and-over, and one we put on a shelf to show-off to our friends. If you spread the releases out by a year (and include a gorgeous map), you can pull it off. Its precisely the kind of gift people buy for the 'gamer who has everything'. Throw in a limited edition, pewter Elminster figurine and its a no-brainer.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Apr 2012 21:35:34
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2012 :  22:15:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rather then further lengthen my already lengthy post (thanks to the edit), I would just like to add...

After reading other peoples responses, I think releasing Ed-lore in smaller chunks - say 3 books, once every four months, and THEN releasing a 3-in-1 deluxe, limited edition (just before X-Mas, you sneaky gits!) is the best way to proceed (a combination Omnibus and Annual/Year's Best).

Knowing the copious amount of lore Ed has, and can produce, I would imagine they could continue with this model for years to come.

This way, you get your day-to-day daily-wear splats, and your cherished collector's volumes... in an on-going series... on your bookshelf.

I'd still like to see some sort of boxed-set as well at some point, with the kind of maps and other gimmicky items in it (who didn't love opening those 1e/2e boxed-sets? It was like getting a Christmas present!)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Apr 2012 22:22:45
Go to Top of Page

Xnella Moonblade-Thann
Learned Scribe

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2012 :  06:59:57  Show Profile Send Xnella Moonblade-Thann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's see...I'm still a child by elven standards (not quite hit the quarter-century mark yet), working at a 40-hour job just barely making enough to buy something rpg- or Realms-related once a month (usually nothing more than $100 USD), and not much room left in my 12'x15' bedroom for the books to go. Can't put them anyplace else because the cats or dog might decided to "redecorate" with such treasures. Too bad i don't have a few bags of holding...

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet." - traditional elven farewell

Please forgive any spelling and grammer errors, as my android touch-screen phone has no spellchecker. If I do make a grammer mistake, please let me know and I'll try to fix it.

New laptop, still trying to sort my "scrolls" on its shelves...and when will this cursed thing stop doing things I tell it not to?
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2012 :  19:36:38  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Soon to be 31. Married and working on having a child.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2012 :  21:07:00  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
32, married and three daughters (yikes!). I'm pretty tight with cash on what I spend things on, but I'd easily pay 60 to 100 bucks on a sourcebook if it was really good. Pricetag isn't really an issue when you considering going out to the local watering hole with friends typically costs a $80 to buy a hangover. Got my start in the 2E days with the Realms...think I was 10. First book I ever bought was Streams of Silver at that age...didn't know what a trilogy was back then. ;) Granny was horrified of the dwarf (Bruenor) with skulls on cover and didn't think I should read such things. hahah. Oh memories. ;)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000