Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 All Things Gnimshian
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2012 :  05:07:13  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am seeking to compile all of the information I can on the gnomes of Faerun. If I can gather enough, I will attempt to put it all together into a handbook. So, O' Scribes of Candlekeep if you know of any obscure lore on the race, please post it here. I am looking for clan names, history, the names and locations of primarily gnome settlements, notable members of the race, good pics of gnomes, anything really, everything. Thanks.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 10 Apr 2012 05:12:52

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2012 :  21:50:00  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-They're the Forgotten Folk for a reason, especially during 1e/2e. The FRCS really has the most information about Gnomes in one specific place, but that's still a little sketchy. Demihuman Deities has all of the information about their gods and goddesses.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 10 Apr 2012 21:50:19
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2012 :  21:55:49  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gods and Goddesses are about the only thing I can find loads of information about.

Sage, I know you are a fellow gnome-lover, do you have anything in your files?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Edited by - Fellfire on 10 Apr 2012 22:40:25
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2012 :  22:54:29  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Oh, DRAGON Magazine 349 has a little bit about the city of Songfarla.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2012 :  02:24:13  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Lord Karsus. I will add the four deep gnome clans Covarrkar, Fungusfoot, Glasszhorm, and Longstepper to my list.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2012 :  03:16:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Sage, I know you are a fellow gnome-lover, do you have anything in your files?

Good question.

Off-hand, see the article "Hin Nobody Knows" in DRAGON #269 to get more of a handle on what Realms gnomes are like.

There's also Elaine Cunningham's tales of gnomes running the Friendly Arm Inn, featured in "Speaking with the Dead" -- originally printed in Realms of Mystery and included in The Best of Elaine Cunningham.

And "Stolen Dreams" as well -- originally printed in DRAGON #259 and also included in The Best of Elaine Cunningham.

There's also the reference to Fryndul, an illusion-protected gnome village in the Shaar-reach, as detailed in DRAGON #269.

More to come once I've access to my archives again.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2012 :  02:33:27  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any luck, Sage?

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2012 :  04:32:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be with those archives this evening, Fellfire, so I'll take a look then.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2012 :  04:49:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'll be with those archives this evening, Fellfire, so I'll take a look then.

Pretty sure I've heard similar promises...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2012 :  21:01:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps they are not known as the 'forgotten folk' without a real reason?

I'm thinking some power - or even high/arch-magic of the distant past is somehow protecting them (for fans of the Xanth novels, think "Gap Chasm"... if you can remember it).

Or it could perhaps be as simple as a forgotten (lost?) fey-power - a glamour that obscures them in some fashion. If someone later asks you about some gnome you had dealings with, you find it very strange that you can't even recall his name... or where he said he was from...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2012 :  03:13:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Perhaps they are not known as the 'forgotten folk' without a real reason?

I'm thinking some power - or even high/arch-magic of the distant past is somehow protecting them (for fans of the Xanth novels, think "Gap Chasm"... if you can remember it).

Or it could perhaps be as simple as a forgotten (lost?) fey-power - a glamour that obscures them in some fashion. If someone later asks you about some gnome you had dealings with, you find it very strange that you can't even recall his name... or where he said he was from...

Perhaps this could be explained, partly, by the perceived assumption that Gond has assumed the aspect of Nebelun in the Realms.

Maybe that's not really the case. Let's say Nebelun actually does exist, in secret, and that part of his purpose as "the Meddler" is to make the rest of the Realms simply forget the gnomish race, or, alternatively, fool those with a religious mind into thinking that Gond holds dominion over this branch of the gnomish pantheon.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2012 :  16:35:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that could work as well.

After I posted that, I thought more about this train of thought: perhaps 'gnome encounters' would behave almost like a vivid dream.. one that fades with time. When you first walk away from a gnome you can easily recall everything that happened, but after an hour or so, it begins to fade and by the next day all you can remember is the peripheral stuff - nothing very specific.

It could be a subconscious (psionic) 'field effect' - some sort of inert 'cloaking ability' that generates brain waves in non-gnome (non-fey?) minds that simulate those experienced while dreaming, so that the information does not get stored in long-term memory after being in short-term memory for awhile (as it normally would). To use a Star Wars reference, it would be like an innate, subconscious version of "these aren't the droids you are looking for".

And, of course, the more gnomes present, the greater this field becomes. If you had regular dealings with a gnome apothecary in Waterdeep, and were questioned about him you might not remember his name (which you would find odd), or what you specifically purchased, or what precise things you saw in his shop, but you would remember the shop itself, and that its owner is a gnome you have dealt with for many years (so you would assume he always had what you needed, and his prices were reasonable... but you wouldn't be able to remember specifics). If you happened upon a gnomish settlement - say, in the Shaar - that wasn't marked on any map, and you stayed there overnight, enjoying the local inn and resupplying yourself at their shops, a few days later you might remember it was a gnomish town, but you wouldn't know exactly where it was, or be able to find it again (or remember any names or other details). Conversely, the presence of other races would act like 'anchors', and you would remember more details about such a places (since there are known gnomish settlements within The Realms). The ability could also be 'actively subconscious', triggered by some chemical reaction in the brain (nervousness, brought on by distrust).

In fact, taking into account that gnomes are now fey (and presumably always were), and some of the RW folklore surrounding fey, I would say this is probably one of those inherent fey abilities that most Prime-Material Fey have lost, like size and shapechanging, mesmerism (seduction), flight, etc... powers that material Fey may have one or two of, and have become racial abilities over time. Fey in the Feywild would not have such limitations - they should be able to freely pick-&-choose their racial feats as they level, just like any other race. Then again, maybe prime fey can do the same, but it is much harder for them to level when cut-off from the Feywild? Someday I should really create a 'fey heritage' template and list all the feats I have come up with for them.

Right after I finish the one for 'material undead' ( I believe 4e already went this route, so I should look at what they did with it).

Anyhow, this would allow a gnome to eventually learn to 'Spriggan' (an ability they share with both duergar and firbolgs, oddly enough). Perhaps many of the 'mutations' assigned to certain species are actually magic tapping into the DNA of a creature and accessing recessive genes (which could explain Avariels - they tapped into the more ancient Fey/Eladrin abilities).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Apr 2012 17:14:40
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2012 :  03:51:58  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage?

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7981 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2012 :  04:42:08  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PHBR9: The Complete Book of Gnomes and Halflings dedicates about 48 pages just to gnomes (and about 66 pages just to halflings), although it's not very Realms-specific. The Arcane Age materials had some brief but interesting commentary describing how gnomes fit within their settings. Much more has been said about gnomish devices and worksmanship (especially Gnomish Workman's Leather Armor) than about the gnomish people themselves. Locks, traps, intricate, complex, and precision devices manufactured by gnomes are generally unsurpassed.

There's really nothing else to say about gnomes in the Realms. A few NPCs are gnomes. Most gnome characters seem to invariably be illusionists, inventors, or jewellers. Many large cities list gnomes as a minority percentage within population figures. The entire race is basically depicted as a collection of tired archetypes or desperately wild attempts to defy the archetypes. Quirky peculiarities of the gnomish mindset which puzzle the other races are not just emphasized, but are typically exaggerated in the writings to ridiculously hyperbolic extremes which basically ends up depicting gnomes as childish, frantic, bizarre, half-crazed creatures.

Gnomes, at least tinker gnomes, were far more prominent in Dragonlance. But even there they were really just an afterthought always associated with dwarves and kender/halflings, even sharing the same creation/origin myth.

I suppose it's worth noting that all gnomes possess dwarf-like magic resistance, have an affinity for illusion, and svirfneblin (deep gnomes) in 1E actually radiated permanent non-detection. This seems to all fit well with Sage's speculation that some supernatural agency might ensure gnomes out of sight become quickly forgotten. Gnomes claim no homeland, history, or destiny of any note.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 25 Apr 2012 04:50:29
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000