Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Newsrama article on FR Comic
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2012 :  15:49:37  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Here it is...

Newsrama Interview with Ed Greenwood...

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/dungeons-and-dragons-forgotten-realms-comic.html

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!

Edited by - Foxhelm on 27 Mar 2012 15:50:53

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2012 :  18:15:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

Here it is...

Newsrama Interview with Ed Greenwood...

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/dungeons-and-dragons-forgotten-realms-comic.html

Well, the previously-unanswered question of when the comic will be set is now answered...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2012 :  19:30:42  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Well, the previously-unanswered question of when the comic will be set is now answered...

Sigh. Oh well. I'll buy Ed Greenwood Presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms and nothing else I guess.
I have no interest in the 1479 setting. To each their own.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7981 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2012 :  19:53:58  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't mind the setting so much, though I won't be buying these simply because I don't read comics.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2012 :  19:55:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My opposition to the 1479 era is well-known, but I'm going to give this comic a try. It's Ed, and I trust Ed to write something that feels right for the setting, regardless of the era.

On a related note, a coworker works part-time at the local comic shop that has been, in times past, the recipient of much of my money. He tells me the comic comes out on 4-25.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2012 :  19:57:26  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All for one and one for...oh never mind.

To me it's no big deal. Waterdeep is still (as was mentioned in the article) Waterdeep.

Looking forward to the illustrations as much as the story.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2012 :  00:00:09  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I hope that's not a harbinger of things to come with 5e's focus and timeframe. I'll try and be optimistic.

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2012 :  01:39:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do believe Ed when he says that the setting-year won't really matter.

And I also believe that entirely too much emphasis has been placed, of late, on the perceived negative impact of the large-scale events on the Realms setting as a whole. It feels like so many folk are always grabbing at the same "griping points" again and again, without truly taking the time to appreciate what good has come from some of the new lore.

I think this is what Ed means when he says the year won't matter. It's not so much about dodging the question, as it is about reminding readers that there's more to the nowaday Realms, than just the Spellplague, Abeir, the Dragonborn, the Shades, Shar, and Tam' Thay.

After all, I've read the majority of 4e Realms fiction, and I've found a number of these books enjoyable mainly because they spend so much more time developing a new tale, than hammering home the notion that "THIS NOVEL IS SET IN THE POST-SPELLPLAGUE REALMS."

So, yeah, I can see why he'd say that the year the comic takes place in, won't necessarily matter.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2012 :  11:18:24  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
And I also believe that entirely too much emphasis has been placed, of late, on the perceived negative impact of the large-scale events on the Realms setting as a whole. It feels like so many folk are always grabbing at the same "griping points" again and again, without truly taking the time to appreciate what good has come from some of the new lore.

The griping is to do with the fact that the 100 year jump means that those currently running campaigns set in the 1358 - 1380DR period will not be supported with material from WoTC that can be used in those campaigns.

And yes you are right, we should be looking at the 4E work on its own merits and not just blathering on about how far in the future it is compared to everything before that and dismissing its artistic/literary worth just on that basis.

The year that the comic is set in does not bother me in the slightest. I will be getting it because its penned by Ed and also because I am not buying it for the lore to use in my game but because it will be fun to read (and paying a couple of quid is fine, compared to 30 or 40 quid for a setting book I will never use because of the timeline jump/rule-set it uses, so the cost factor does weigh in as well)

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2012 :  17:00:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

My opposition to the 1479 era is well-known, but I'm going to give this comic a try. It's Ed, and I trust Ed to write something that feels right for the setting, regardless of the era.
Ditto

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Eladrinstar
Learned Scribe

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2012 :  17:26:48  Show Profile Send Eladrinstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I trust Ed enough to buy the first issue, but if I decline to continue reading it'll probably be because of the setting, and not a judgement on Ed or his writing.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000