Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Forgotten Realms Language Fonts
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

hoskinmage
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2007 :  15:33:17  Show Profile Send hoskinmage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i really apreciate the help. im not used to posting on line but i think this site maybe the exception. my boys are really enjoy the campains and they want me to show them how to dm so if you have any pointers i could relay to them so there first session would be a good one.i hope it is so i can play insted of dming.
thanks hoskinmage
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  02:55:09  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:
Originally posted by hoskinmage

im new at this ive been reading forgotten realms for a long time my first book was azura bonds. i may have missed it but if someone could tell me how to go about finding the forgotten realms fonts and may be a guide to it? ive been wondering if anyone could help me with it i would be greatful

Well met

We have a number of fonts here at Candlekeep available for download (including language fonts). These can be found at this location. Hope this is of help

Alaundo, I continue to be amazed by the wealth of lore secreted in the nooks and crannies and extra-dimensional spaces of Candlekeep!

With over a thousand fonts on my itty-bitty computer, I have to pay attention to those which don't work or are just plain wrong. I therefore caution those who get their fonts from elsewhere to beware of a True Type Font called "Espruar" -- which ain't. The Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting has illustrations of Espruar, Dethek, and Thorass (?), and the font of which I speak most definitely isn't Espruar. Caveat calligrapher.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  06:20:11  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The font you are refering to I believe is actually the original Espruar font. In the 1e & 2e Realms, there was a completely different Espruar alphabet. You can find it in the old FR box set. It was kind of clunky and didn't really have an elven flair, so for 3E they had an artist redesign the Espruar script to look more elven.

The new one is very pretty and I think a great success. When you see it, you certainly think "elvish". However, the old one has it's charms.

My solution is to consider the older Espruar to be the Hamarfae alphabet used to write the ancient elven language of Seldruin used in high magic rituals.

Or, alternatively, you could consider the older font to be a collection of magical symbols, runes, ligatures and special characters used in magic, elven heraldry or for other specialized purposes.

Go to Top of Page

3catcircus
Acolyte

32 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2007 :  04:20:50  Show Profile  Visit 3catcircus's Homepage Send 3catcircus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whatever happened to the 3rd edition version of Thorass font? IIRC, someone was working on it but I've never seen it.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2007 :  08:20:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you tried the sites we've already mentioned above 3cat?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

3catcircus
Acolyte

32 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2007 :  23:50:55  Show Profile  Visit 3catcircus's Homepage Send 3catcircus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Have you tried the sites we've already mentioned above 3cat?

Yup - I've already got all of those fonts. The 3rd edition Thorass font was mentioned by someone, somewhere as being a work in progress. However, as with much of the internet, their home page is a dead link...
Go to Top of Page

LordXenophon
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2010 :  09:38:24  Show Profile Send LordXenophon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Well, I know of no such website that holds any 'official' interpretation on the appearance and meaning of the Illusionists' Ruathlek language. Ruathlek, by it's very nature is a 'secret language', and therefore rarely found outside of Illusionist circles, and/or guilds.

I'm pretty sure one of the very early FR books had an "official" Ruathlek alphabet.

However, to represent Ruathlek as a simple, written alphabet should be impossible. According to many books in which Ruathlek is mentioned, it is also mentioned that Illusion magic is a major component of the language. This is why it takes an Illusionist to read Illusionist scrolls and spellbooks.

This is perhaps not so important these days, but back when Illusionist was a distinct class, completely apart from the Mage class and having only seven spell levels, this was a critical point.

Disintegration is in the eye of the Beholder.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2010 :  23:36:59  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Ruathlek has "three-dimensional" characters that "rise up" (as minor illusions) from the surface they're written on, coded meanings and modifiers "written into" the individual letters (that illusionists can interpret), and an entire layer of meanings/additional messages revealed only to those able to use illusionist magic ["Read Illusionist Magic" is how Gary Gygax originally entitled the relevant spell; I forget if it made it into print under that name, though].
Ah, the joys of being old and remembering the root lore...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2010 :  04:30:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Yes, Ruathlek has "three-dimensional" characters that "rise up" (as minor illusions) from the surface they're written on, coded meanings and modifiers "written into" the individual letters (that illusionists can interpret), and an entire layer of meanings/additional messages revealed only to those able to use illusionist magic ["Read Illusionist Magic" is how Gary Gygax originally entitled the relevant spell; I forget if it made it into print under that name, though].
love,
THO

Old? I just see an experienced woman willing to teach a less-experienced man (or hamster!) some really interesting things!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2010 :  04:49:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

love,
THO

I've heard it said that with age comes experience. But, at the same time, you shouldn't let labels, like "being old," define what you are and how you feel at this moment. That's how others may see and define you. Ultimately, what's important, is how you see yourself.

Oh, and if I can only remember half as much Realmslore as you do now, when I also approach the stage of what some regarded as "old," I'll consider it a life well-lived.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000