Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Forgotten Realms Language Fonts
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2003 :  22:40:38  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
i have Espruar(elven), Dethek, (dwarven) and Thorass(an ancient form of our common tongue) does any1 have any other FR language fonts???

i really wanna get the Ruathlek font but as far as i know 1 doesnt exist(ive searched 4 a long time). actually i could make it if some1 at least knows what they look like, does any1 have pictures of the characters in Ruathlek???

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Whenever magic one doth weave, 'tis never ever wise to deceive - Elminster

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2003 :  05:38:22  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, do you know, perchance, how they're supposed to look? Are they long and graceful (like Elvish script), blocky (like Dwarvish and Common)? What is the language related to, and especially did they get a script from someone else?

I ask this because it would be interesting to create a font. I couldn't do the programing bit, simple as I'm sure it is, but I think that finding ways to make new characters would be fun.

I did that a few times. Waiting for a class in an empty room, taking some chalk and doodling out some basic iconographs, pictographs, getting a feel for how a character might change over centuries . . . I've always wondered what the next instructor to use that room must have thought.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2003 :  21:00:23  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
nay Bookwyrm, i have no idea how Ruathlek looks. Ruathlek is the "secret language" or magical script of illusionists, and is rarely found in the Realms. All i know is that it is derived from the use of magical runes, Waterdeep is known to hold at least one library of books in that dweomer-guarded tongue, and that it is still spoken in Nimbral. sadly that is all know of this language...

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2003 :  09:05:06  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, runes, by their nature, tend to be blocky, to facilitate their recording in the usual material: stone. You might recall that the Roman alphabet, from which this one is derived (it’s not the same, don’t let anyone fool you on that -- it was intended for a completely different language than some definitive of a barbaric Germanic dialect) also had a rather lack of curves, as it was often carved into stone itself. However, runes are not as . . . simplistic, I should say, as the Roman alphabet. Should you want to make your own, perhaps you ought to take a close study of the rune-like fonts located here in the main library. That ought to give you a rather clear picture of what the characters are meant to look like.

Couple that with the sort of people who would using it, you can generate your own set. That is, if it is used primarily for ceremonial purposes, then each rune would likely be rather complicated. If it is used to scratch out notes to one another, then the runes would be more likely to be closer to the Roman, for simplicity’s sake.

Edited by - Alaundo on 30 Dec 2003 12:50:39
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2003 :  22:59:28  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i know what runes look like, like i aid i have the 1s of the other languages, but i cant just make up runes 4 Ruathlek n call it a font of Ruathlek, u know? i wanted 2 know if any1 actually knew what they looked like, like had a web site that showed the alphabet but it just didnt have a font, cuz then i could make a font of it. but i guess no 1 does...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2003 :  06:54:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I know of no such website that holds any 'official' interpretation on the appearance and meaning of the Illusionists' Ruathlek language. Ruathlek, by it's very nature is a 'secret language', and therefore rarely found outside of Illusionist circles, and/or guilds.

For my own FR campaign, I devised my own set of 27 basic runes for the Illusionist tongue and just used them - developing combinations and special symbols when the time can to record spell incantations and magical notes...Since the language is secret, you can pretty much make it look however you wish, and no one can really argue about it's appearance.

Needless to say, I have provided this basic set out to fellow players across the internet from time to time, and they have all enjoyed using it...either as a basis for their own designs, or just using the runes in their own campaigns.

On the plus side, I do believe there is a third-party product that details the basic Illusionist class, and I think it has a basic set of 10 runic-symbols (in a special Appendix) which can be used to generate your own language. I'll have to look for the title of the tome though, the name escapes me at this point.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 02 Jan 2004 07:47:16
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2004 :  03:30:55  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
understood sage, but im lookin 4 any official FR fonts. (i was just using Ruathlek as an ex.)

p.s. hey u changed ur avatar! i think i liked the old 1 better...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2004 :  07:55:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In that case, there aren't any...

As for my avatar change...well, I was growing tiresome of my old face, and looking at my old avatar, it always reminded too much of Elminster. And, since another popular 'sagely' avatar is already co-opted by my fellow Master of Realmslore ( - plus I did not want to throw said individual into another 'identity crisis'), I needed something different. Besides, Rastromo Meradoc is a gnome afterall, so his overall appearance should resemble that, and I feel that this image conveys that.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2004 :  07:30:06  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. I dindn't know he was a gnome (your character that is). I still don't like the image, of course. Too ugly. But then, I've seen it more in its close-up form, so I know what it really looks like. (Better than mine in its full version, I admit.)

And I didn't have an identity crisis -- I knew what I was writing. It was everyone else who had the hard time!

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2004 :  15:16:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, IIRC Bookwyrm, your avatar is a portrait of a Dwarf...but then it has been a while since I have played NWN.

Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2004 :  18:44:41  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

In that case, there aren't any...

yeah i guess not

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2004 :  01:42:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What do you intend to do now then, Dracandos?

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2004 :  09:10:21  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't say I thought it was a gnome. (Though I might have elsewhere.) However, it does have a rather large nose, and the beard isn't as long as dwarves like it. So I figured it was a gnome.

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2004 :  14:05:55  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry to say, gnomes repulse me. However, we all have an option to choose an avatar we prefer, no matter how ugly it is.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2004 :  19:33:18  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

it apears that i will have 2 let this matter drop since no1 has anything about this topic

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2004 :  20:30:28  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, the language of illusionists is rather illusive by its very nature.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2004 :  12:21:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dracandos the Spellsage

quote:

it apears that i will have 2 let this matter drop since no1 has anything about this topic

You're not going to try your hand at perhaps creating your own interpretation of the Illusionist language?.

Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2004 :  01:54:53  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote]You're not going to try your hand at perhaps creating your own interpretation of the Illusionist language?

i easily could, but i want 1 thats official, not just 1 i made up, u know?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2004 :  03:11:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh forget that . Making things up is part of what makes roleplaying with D&D great...

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2004 :  05:09:27  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
true, if no one made anything up, there would be no Forgotten Realms at all. I say, be creative and create your own version!

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2004 :  23:03:07  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh forget that . Making things up is part of what makes roleplaying with D&D great...

quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord

true, if no one made anything up, there would be no Forgotten Realms at all. I say, be creative and create your own version!

yeah but when ur tryin 2 write a book set in the FR, n u make reference 2 somethin that actually does exist in the realms (like Ruathlek), u cant make somethin up 4 it. u know?

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2004 :  00:32:59  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, you do have a point.... However, its not always a bad thing to bend/shirk around the rules and official material. Wait, you're writing a book??? Oh, that puts an entirely new perspective on this topic..... Well, never fear, I'm sure we'll find something....

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2004 :  05:50:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

yeah but when ur tryin 2 write a book set in the FR, n u make reference 2 somethin that actually does exist in the realms (like Ruathlek), u cant make somethin up 4 it. u know?

That may be a consideration, but if no 'official' material on the subject in question exists in the first place, then you really do not have much of a problem creating something new that you can reference for your 'book'. This would only really be a concern, if you intend to publish this 'book' which you say you are writing.

It is afterall, how most of the new FR 'official' material comes into being...

Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2004 :  21:38:16  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmmm, you do have a point.... However, its not always a bad thing to bend/shirk around the rules and official material. Wait, you're writing a book??? Oh, that puts an entirely new perspective on this topic..... Well, never fear, I'm sure we'll find something....

my thanks Shadowlord, ur confidence gives me strength

quote:

quote:

That may be a consideration, but if no 'official' material on the subject in question exists in the first place, then you really do not have much of a problem creating something new that you can reference for your 'book'. This would only really be a concern, if you intend to publish this 'book' which you say you are writing.

It is afterall, how most of the new FR 'official' material comes into being...

i do hope 2 have it published, but of course it would have 2 be a actual FR book becuz otherwise, itd be HUGE plagerism(sp?) i know thats a giant long shot but...id really like 2 be an author 4 the FR, does any1 know how 1 would go about doin that?

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2004 :  23:32:46  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those that might be looking, I've found an impressive font for the new (3rd Edition) Espruar script. It lacks the digraph characters ("Th" "ch" "sh" and "ng"), but it is a start.

The font can be found at http://www.deviantart.com/view/3020856/.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2004 :  02:45:30  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my thanks Shadowlord, ur confidence gives me strength

Not at all, Dracandos, I live to serve, Vhaeraun of course,

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2004 :  02:55:21  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:I live to serve, Vhaeraun of course,

of course

Go to Top of Page

hoskinmage
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2007 :  20:53:50  Show Profile Send hoskinmage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
im new at this ive been reading forgotten realms for a long time my first book was azura bonds. i may have missed it but if someone could tell me how to go about finding the forgotten realms fonts and may be a guide to it? ive been wondering if anyone could help me with it i would be greatful

hoskinmage
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2007 :  23:20:47  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hoskinmage

im new at this ive been reading forgotten realms for a long time my first book was azura bonds. i may have missed it but if someone could tell me how to go about finding the forgotten realms fonts and may be a guide to it? ive been wondering if anyone could help me with it i would be greatful

Well met

We have a number of fonts here at Candlekeep available for download (including language fonts). These can be found at this location. Hope this is of help

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2007 :  23:24:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, have you tried the "Northern Journey" campaign site?

As I recall, they have a selection of FR fonts stored there as well.

Edited by - The Sage on 11 Feb 2007 23:25:27
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2007 :  09:05:07  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Also, have you tried the "Northern Journey" campaign site?

As I recall, they have a selection of FR fonts stored there as well.

WEll met

Indeed. Northern Journey is located here

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page