Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Sorry, we're all fans of the Forgotten Realms.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Laeknir
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2012 :  15:37:10  Show Profile  Visit Laeknir's Homepage Send Laeknir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

Mods, I don't mind if anyone disagrees with me.

But I really don't appreciate being openly mocked, as TBeholder is doing. Can someone please politely remind him that if he wants to be a jerk, he/she is welcome to do it elsewhere?

I've had enough. You are not some kind of innocent injured party here. You are Mr_Miscellany, and you were Sanishiver. You need to get another hobby instead of trolling.

The edition wars had died down here. People were having a nice, fairly cordial discussion of pre- and post-Spellplague Realms. Jakk was making a rather ordinary, non-flamey comment, and you come in and take his comment out of that scroll to make your own. Problem is, you took him out of context intentionally.

Other scribes may or may not see what you do, but where you innocently claim there is no "us vs. them" and put yourself on a high pedestal, you are actually fostering and encouraging the edition war to come back. You do this kind of thing all the time over at WotC, you've done it for years through at least two editions, and that's one big factor why WotC is dead. You intentionally drive people away, you enhance divides and promote fighting rather than debate.

And it needs to STOP. You're only seeking attention. Get it elsewhere.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2012 :  15:43:14  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I disagree. I'm one of those that believes they took most criticisms, valid or invalid, and tried to cater to them. And most of those criticisms were invalid.

Without coming down on any edition, I fail to see any improvements to the setting whatsoever with the 4E Realms. That's not me saying it's bad, that's me saying it's not better than anything that came before.

I might suggest staying far away from RPG.net then, as there is a thread over there that might disagree with you pretty vehemently. But I'm all for reading other peoples views and opinions on the topic. Their criticsm of the Realms is often the same ones cited over 3 years ago and even with the changes, they weren't enough to bring them over to the setting. Sure, it might make someone more indifferent than hostile, but for the most part, the changes didn't sway their opinion. And of course the changes angered a lot of the fan base at that time as well. But I can't begrudge WotC the attempt to pander to people on the fence or might not like the setting in hopes of grabbing them as potential customers IN ADDITION TO new players that might have been intimidated by all the lore surrounding the Realms.

But whether you love the changes to the Realms via Spellplague or like the Realms pre-Time of Troubles or love the hodgepodge inbetween, your a Realms fan and that's the point of the thread. People's opinion differ about the Realms but we're here cus we're fans OF the Realms. We should focus on that and not on the negative aspect each of us individually dislike.

Like these threads?

How do you feel about the Forgotten Realms RPG.NET

Let's forget the Forgotten Realms ENWORLD

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 06 Feb 2012 15:43:52
Go to Top of Page

Laeknir
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2012 :  15:50:47  Show Profile  Visit Laeknir's Homepage Send Laeknir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Like these threads?

How do you feel about the Forgotten Realms RPG.NET

Let's forget the Forgotten Realms ENWORLD

And what is the point of posting these here, other than to create more divisiveness and snark?

Thread's OP appears to be doing it's job as intended, and that's disappointing beyond words. We do not need outside divisiveness and hating to be brought here, particularly by people who claim that they want the fighting to die down.

Seriously, think about what your goals are here. Do you want more snark?
Go to Top of Page

Wolfhound75
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2012 :  16:12:58  Show Profile Send Wolfhound75 a Private Message
I would like to point out that at least one positive thing has resulted from this scroll. Someone other than myself has acknowledged that the rules (D&D edition) and the timeline (Realmslore) should be separate issues.

quote:
Originally posted by Jakk
But I do believe that, in order for this perception to disappear, WotC has its plate full as far as work to do for the new edition of the Realms, without even considering the rules (because the two should always be separate anyway).

That, IMO, is a step in the right direction. Thank you Jakk for being the first to acknowlege a point I've tried to make in several other scrolls.

If we want to have a useful discussion we need objectivity. For some, this is easier than others. The unfortunate reality is new D&D Editions are often accompanied by new Realmslore making that objectivity difficult to obtain at best.

I grew up in farm country so I guess you could figure that I'm full of 'old sayings' that contain a lot of wisdom if you take the time to fully understand what you're hearing. One of those sayings I'd like to share with the community.
quote:

You can please some of the people most of the time. You can please most of the people some of the time. But you can never please all of the people all of the time.

I've been doing a lot of thinking on this issue and I've come to the conclusion that my old country saying is the best way to describe what I feel has happened. I think we all desire The Realms to continue to grow and prosper and be 'better' than it ever was. Therefore, I propose a two-part challenge to each scribe in this community.

First, stop trying to prove that one timeline is better than the other timeline regardless of your personal preference and acknowledge that individual opinions on this topic will vary.

The second part of this challenge closely mirrors an entire scroll and an author's viewpoint (You know who you are and my hat is off to you). I challenge each of us to, regardless of which era of The Realms we prefer, work together as a group to objectively identify the inconsistencies in the timeline of The Realms, create a plausible solution to the identified problem, and use the contacts here on this forum to send them forward to the designers, authors, and other individuals who have the power to affect a change at the levels required to do so.

Good Hunting!

"Firepower - if it's not working, you're not using enough." ~ Military Proverb

"If at first you do succeed, you must've rolled a natural 20!"
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2012 :  16:19:47  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message
I'm not going to wade into the middle of what's obviously turning into a battle, but I did want to offer a couple observations:

1) I see a lot of love for the Realms here, as well as a lot of discontent regarding its course--which is completely reasonable. People should be free to discuss these issues, but I will agree with the OP insofar as it should never be assumed that anyone on either side is ANY LESS of a Realms fan than anyone else.

2) I honestly don't think there has to be a choice of "us" or "them"--"pre-4e" or "post-4e"--or any other false dichotomy. But that doesn't mean RIGHT NOW--there is a LOT of work to be done to reconcile and heal the wounds inflicted by the last few years. And while I KNOW this is possible, I'm the last one to pretend that it's easy or already accomplished.

3) Please, please, please respect each other. The thread was capable of that for a while--why can't we go back to that?

4) We share a common goal, and that is the furtherance of the Realms. We don't always agree on how to do that, but I think we can all agree that's what we want. I think we should all keep sight of that however much we can.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2012 :  16:32:40  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade
In essence I agree with you. I was convinced to read FR lore on DDI. It is good, quality, Lore. Even the Swords of state article which is mostly crunch which I am converting to Pathfinder now.
Now, now. There's ten and a half columns of text in that article, and less than a full column--in total--is crunch. I don't know that that really qualifies as 'mostly.'

Other than that, I'm going to keep out of this little back and forth.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2012 :  16:58:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Please, regardless of your thoughts on particular editions, or your thoughts on particular individuals, let's keep this civil. Right or wrong, calling out particular individuals in a disrespectful manner doesn't accomplish anything other than raising tension. And if you think someone is being a troll, simply don't respond.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2012 :  19:17:10  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfhound75
I challenge each of us to, regardless of which era of The Realms we prefer, work together as a group to objectively identify the inconsistencies in the timeline of The Realms, create a plausible solution to the identified problem, and use the contacts here on this forum to send them forward to the designers, authors, and other individuals who have the power to affect a change at the levels required to do so.

While I did not find fault with your post, I wish to reiterate/point out that even a unified Candlekeep (or any other online game community, absurd notion that it may seem) can only go so far before it runs into the WotC Wall.

This all goes back to the question "Is Wizbro going to even bother to listen?" We need to acknowledge a fundamental truth - Wizbro has studiously avoided, until very recently, listening to people who did not like the way they had steered (to put it mildly) the Realms, and I am of the opinion that part of the impetus of having Ed share his world with us is to get the 'grognards' to shut up and stop annoying them (as well as separate us from our money - which is the one part I do understand). Well...that part will work if they keep their grubby hands off of Ed's labors. I want pure Greenwood goodness, warts and all.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2012 :  19:45:08  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Apex

1) Only because the Shattered Realms has the same name are we fans of the Forgotten Realms. I could just as easily say that both I and some of our British posters here are fans of football, but we would be talking about entirely different things.
Just so we're clear: I can accept it if you don't regard the post-Spellplague Realms as at all similar to the pre-Spellplague Realms, because we’re talking about your personal view of the setting.

However, if we’re dealing with facts, then no, the post-Spellplague Realms is not “entirely different” than the pre-Spellplague Realms.

Suppose you have your campaign set in the 1300s and I have one set in the Arcane Age (about 3,000 years before yours). What is it exactly, I ask you, that would keep us from reading, enjoying and using Realmslore from either era as we see fit for our two campaigns?

Just as with the post-Spellplague Realms, in the Arcane Age there’s the issue of the time jump (a massive one, 3,000 years!), there’s an issue of lore development because the pre-Spellplague Realms is far more detailed than the Arcane Age, there’s an issue of knowing what’s coming in the future for me to deal with, there are different deities, a ton of cities and even a few whole nations don’t exist in yet in my campaign, but do in yours, while in mine there are cities that are doomed to ruins at some future point (and they’re probably just that in your campaign; you may even be using them for adventure sights).

And of course the world maps we use are by no means the same.

By your criteria these eras are “entirely different" and now we're supposed to run into all sorts of problems...

But despite these differences people have enjoyed Arcane Age campaigns for several years.

Likewise, people talk about both eras without worry or difficulty.

Ergo, none of the differences actually matter. Everything has literally proven to be quite useful, in either direction, because the Realms have a rich history and people enjoy it.

That someone plays in or prefers a particular era of the Realms timeline doesn’t in any way limit their access to other eras, nor does it impede their interactions with people who play in other eras.

That the eras are connected is what makes this possible. The post-Spellplague Realms are just as connected as anything that came before it.

quote:

2) Sure, however the time jump and what not has made it virtually impossible for those of us that like the original Realms (ie 1300's) setting to discuss much with those tied into the 4E Shattered Realms (too many people are gone, places obliterated, etc).
I’m starting to think you haven’t read a single word of post-Spellplague Realmslore, have you?

Am I right in my assessment, Apex?

And if I’m not, then just how much have you read? Have you read the Realms Campaign Guide and Player's Guide front to back? Have you read any novels set in the post-Spellplague Realms? How about at least one DDI article by Ed Greenwood or Brian R. James?

Anything?

I’d like to make sure I’m absolutely clear on this before I address any of your other points.

quote:

3) This is entirely different from jumping a setting 100 years into the future, destroying the very map, and essentially making the "new lore" virtually worthless to those of us that preferred the Classic Realms. I can easily ignore the ToT if I wanted, but still access virtually all of the 2nd edition lore. The same cannot be said about the Shattered Realms.
The 100 year, lore-free time jump was meant to give active 1300s era Realms campaigns a huge allotment of time in which to run their campaigns. That’s not my personal view. Rather it’s what the designers said when they first introduced the Spellplague at GenCon.

And don’t worry, you haven’t upset me. I hope I haven’t upset you.

Looking forward to your carefully considered, thoughtful reply.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 06 Feb 2012 19:52:27
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1281 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2012 :  20:06:51  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message
Speaking of Arcane Age and 3000 years ago--I almost wish they'd jumped 3000 years in the future and labeled the 4th edition realms "Future Age" era and just left the 1/2/3rd edition realms era alone. But they didn't, they killed that era with the biggest and worst (my opinion, and from the reaction at Candlekeep, the majority opinion) RSE to date. You cannot compare the Arcane Age setting to what they did to move from 3rd Edition to 4th edition. You can compare the ToT to the SpellPlague tho, or the RotA(I think that was the 2nd to 3rd edition catalyst event?). But the Arcane Age sets versus 4th Edition Spell Plague? Not comparable, apples and oranges.

Edited by - Seravin on 06 Feb 2012 20:07:32
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2012 :  20:08:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

2) Sure, however the time jump and what not has made it virtually impossible for those of us that like the original Realms (ie 1300's) setting to discuss much with those tied into the 4E Shattered Realms (too many people are gone, places obliterated, etc).
I’m starting to think you haven’t read a single word of post-Spellplague Realmslore, have you?

Am I right in my assessment, Apex?

And if I’m not, then just how much have you read? Have you read the Realms Campaign Guide and Player's Guide front to back? Have you read any novels set in the post-Spellplague Realms? How about at least one DDI article by Ed Greenwood or Brian R. James?

Anything?

I’d like to make sure I’m absolutely clear on this before I address any of your other points.

I've read the FRCG front to back (and even posted a detailed review of what I thought). I've read the Player's Guide. I've read 2 of the post-Spellplague novels. I've read DDI articles that weren't behind the paywall.

And I think they should have called the 4E Realms a separate setting. To me, it's only superficially the same.

Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2012 :  20:16:17  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Eladrinstar

Then let me make myself more clear, this is what I think happened:

WotC listened to what fans of the Realms disliked. They also listened to both the dislikes and likes of people who didn't like the Realms.

Does that make any sense, though? What company goes out of its way to make a product based on the people that dislike it the most? Heh. That's a very stupid way to market your product. I think it obviously wasn't made by the people that dislike the Realms the most, more over, made by people wanting change to the Realms, and in significant ways, which is exactly what was delivered. Someone obviously liked it enough for the people at WotC to make it, but then again, you see some of the movies that get made on a yearly basis and how they EVER got funding for those, and you have your answer.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

Imp
Learned Scribe

231 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2012 :  20:21:58  Show Profile Send Imp a Private Message
Well, maybe those that were fine with The Realms didn't have any reason to be loud about any changes (they didn't want any), so they were quiet, but those that wanted changes (and for the worst at that) WERE very loud about that, so WotC did what they heard most about.
Here's an analogy:
There's a worker in a shop. The management makes a poll - do we promote him or do we fire him? Some people vote Promote, some people vote Fire, but the management forgot about a third option - don't do anything. In this scenario it is possible for the worker to get fired just because those that wanted him fired outvoted those that wanted him promoted, but it was possible that the majority of his coworkers would want him to stay as is.
And I think that this is what happened with The Realms. WotC only heard "Change this, change that". so they changed it.

[url=http://expensiveautomobile.com/2009-bmw-3-series-uk-version/]2009 bmw 3 series uk version[/url] [url=http://expensiveautomobile.com/2009-bmw-3-series-touring-uk-version/]2009 bmw 3 series touring uk version[/url]

Edited by - Imp on 06 Feb 2012 20:28:10
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2012 :  20:30:29  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

You cannot compare the Arcane Age setting to what they did to move from 3rd Edition to 4th edition.
Why?

Seriously, I want to know why? I mean, you say we can't do that, but then don't go on to address the comparison I actually made.

Is it flawed in some way? I see how you're talking about transitions between editions, but different eras of the Realms don't always rely on D&D game rules changes to come about in the setting.

Looking back at my comparison between the Arcane Age and the pre-Spellplague/Classic era of the Realms, I see I did make an error; one of omission.

I forgot to mention the goddess of magic bites the dust at the end of both eras.

quote:

I've read the FRCG front to back (and even posted a detailed review of what I thought). I've read the Player's Guide. I've read 2 of the post-Spellplague novels. I've read DDI articles that weren't behind the paywall.

And I think they should have called the 4E Realms a separate setting. To me, it's only superficially the same.
Well, you can’t advance the setting 100 years and expect it to be exactly the same, can you?

I'm guessing you read Backdrop: Cormyr? Yes?

Regardless, Apex’ claim was that the time jump effect has “made it impossible” for fans who prefer only the pre-Spellplague Realms to talk with anyone who enjoys all of the Realms.

Has this been your experience, Wooley? I’m not being facetious when I ask this: has it become more difficult for you to discuss post-Spellplague Realmslore as you read more of it?

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 06 Feb 2012 20:59:19
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2012 :  20:42:10  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
I must say that the rheatoric is getting less heated
as people discuss things. I think progress is being
made as people are becoming cautiously optimistic
about what is going to be released.

I point was made earlier about WOTC being one of the main
focal points of why the edition debates went on, and I
believe that obersavtion was dead-on.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2012 :  21:12:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Well, you can’t advance the setting 100 years and expect it to be exactly the same, can you?

I'm guessing you read Backdrop: Cormyr? Yes?

Regardless, Apex’ claim was that the time jump effect has “made it impossible” for fans who prefer only the pre-Spellplague Realms to talk with anyone who enjoys all of the Realms.

Has this been your experience, Wooley? I’m not being facetious when I ask this: has it become more difficult for you to discuss post-Spellplague Realmslore as you read more of it?

If a series is advanced 100 years, no, I don't expect it to be the same. I also don't expect a setting that previously felt full of potential and wonder to feel post-apocalyptic. I don't expect to find entire continents gone. I don't expect to find nations literally blown up. I don't expect changes that leaving struggling to find what, if any, logic was involved.

I am more informed about post-Spellplague Realmslore than I was before reading the FRCG and other books, yes. And knowing more has made me want to discuss it less, and it's made me not want to learn more about it.

To use an analogy: if I don't taste the milk, I don't know if it's spoiled or not. Once I find out that it is, indeed, spoiled, I don't keep drinking it to confirm this or in hopes that it will become unspoiled.

Go to Top of Page

Imp
Learned Scribe

231 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2012 :  21:21:48  Show Profile Send Imp a Private Message
quote:
To use an analogy: if I don't taste the milk, I don't know if it's spoiled or not. Once I find out that it is, indeed, spoiled, I don't keep drinking it to confirm this or in hopes that it will become unspoiled.

You can always smell it. :D If it stinks, it's spoiled.

[url=http://expensiveautomobile.com/2009-bmw-3-series-uk-version/]2009 bmw 3 series uk version[/url] [url=http://expensiveautomobile.com/2009-bmw-3-series-touring-uk-version/]2009 bmw 3 series touring uk version[/url]
Go to Top of Page

Eladrinstar
Learned Scribe

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2012 :  22:12:59  Show Profile Send Eladrinstar a Private Message
Interesting milk metaphors. I could tell 4e Realms was going to suck, calmed myself and gave myself an open mind about it, then actually read all the sourcebooks on 4e Realms and discovered that my first instincts "this sucks," was accurate after all.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2012 :  22:20:05  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Eladrinstar

Interesting milk metaphors. I could tell 4e Realms was going to suck, calmed myself and gave myself an open mind about it, then actually read all the sourcebooks on 4e Realms and discovered that my first instincts "this sucks," was accurate after all.

I didn't like the 4e rules, but if the realms were to stay intact i would have dealt with the 4e ruleset to tell stories in the realms. As it was the 4e realms really were not up to snuff, and it gave me no motivation to stick with a rules system I did not like. Maybe the designers at WOTC are really looking to repair the realms somehow. I am hopeful.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...

Edited by - Mournblade on 06 Feb 2012 22:21:25
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2012 :  22:24:17  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
milk metaphor......

got milk?

FR.. no.

hahaha

some of the 4e novels makes up for the uscky written 4e fr campaign setting.... but their are not to manny of them

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2012 :  22:35:10  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
Why have several replies in this topic been removed?
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2012 :  23:29:02  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Perhaps the posters realized those posts were not really constructive?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2012 :  23:54:33  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message
First of all, feel free to remove this thread if its a bucket of cow dung!!!

Now... I think as a general thing that a setting is supposed to move forward. When something big happens there is a reaction and so we must move forward. The world grows. When this is said, and this has been said a lot lately, I feel that the changes was made to cater the wrong people. This has been said before too.

Personally it has to me become a whole new game. I for one does not feel it has the same feeling or atmosphere it once had. Everything has become too easy. Magic, the once so special art has been reduced to a tool. It’s not so much the killing of Mystra, the cataclysmic events that transpired or the hundred years. But why chance the rules to emulate a computer game, where thing has to be fair. What sort of message to send our young new gamer. It’s like when grandpa tell war stories from back in the day where the snow was 20ft think and it was always -50C and they marched hundreds of miles every day.

Its just not ok for everyone to wield magic. Its not ok that it does not matter what class or profession you have, because everyone can basically the same.

Someone has complained that the wizard was too strong compared to the fighter... well that’s how it has always been. Everyone can pick up a sword, but to manipulate the very fabric of the universe is for a select few. Or a select many... But for ALL.... A resounding NO!

Would FR have been better without 4ed, would ppl get tired of the "old" realm... I don’t think so. I believe that we make of it what we like. But this 4ed was simply too much of a change. Not that the changed in them self necessarily was bad, but all at once was just too much.

But yes we are ALL fans. And that is the most important thing. Let’s move on. And to quote an old gamer:The secret we should never let the game masters know is that they don't need any rules.”
Gary Gygax

So... to end this thing of a random treads... We are all fans both Alliance and Horde!!!

Edited by - Nicolai Withander on 06 Feb 2012 23:56:53
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2012 :  00:04:23  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Pffft....since when? This whole thing has turned into yet another edition war/ FR4e bash with hardly any attempt to smooth out differences or gind common ground. F*** it. I'm out. Enjoy the setting you cried about....er I mean "defended valiantly". Obviously you deserve it more than other "lesser" fans.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2012 :  00:05:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by arry

Why have several replies in this topic been removed?

I've not noticed any posts that have been removed, and I don't know of any that were deleted by anyone other than the scribes themselves.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2012 :  00:11:48  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Pffft....since when? This whole thing has turned into yet another edition war/ FR4e bash with hardly any attempt to smooth out differences or gind common ground. F*** it. I'm out. Enjoy the setting you cried about....er I mean "defended valiantly". Obviously you deserve it more than other "lesser" fans.

Oops. I think you misunderstood my post. That's pure speculation based on my own experience. In other threads, I deleted some of my posts that I knew were not exactly constructive, or would just ignite fire than facilitate a healthy discussion.

If you haven't noticed, I hardly participate in discussions that turn to edition wars, or have the potential to. I love the Realms as it was and as it is now. And instead of discussing what I didn't and don't want, I'd rather point out what I DO LIKE.

And since when did I try to defend the Realms valiantly? In the first place, I didn't know it needed defending.

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 07 Feb 2012 00:14:40
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2012 :  00:12:54  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Mods, please feel free to close this scroll.

The discussion, such as it is, isn't worth the collateral damage any longer.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2012 :  00:22:21  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:

Mods, please feel free to close this scroll.

The discussion, such as it is, isn't worth the collateral damage any longer.

I agree. I'm done too, after reading the last two pages (which did contain a few useful perspectives on page 3). Sorry, Sage and Jeremy; I was hoping for better things here, as I know you both were as well.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 07 Feb 2012 00:31:28
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2012 :  00:44:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
*Casts Seal Scroll*

[At OP's request.]

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000