Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 FR Murder Series
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2003 :  10:39:47  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just finished reading Murder in Halruaa, one of five, the others being:

Murder in Cormyr
Murder in Tarsis
Murder in Ravens Bluff
Murder in the Tower of High Sorcery

I wasn't too sure whether I'd like it or not. It turned out to be something like Sherlock Holmes in the FR world but using FR characters. Well I thought the book was okay, but if you like murder, mystery and suspense then this is the one for you.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2003 :  12:27:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I have read all of them, and enjoyed most of them...except Murder in Halruaa.

Just a small note - Murder in Tarsis, by John Maddox Robert and Murder in the Tower of High Sorcery, by Teri White are both Dragonlance 'Fifth Age' stand alone novels.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2003 :  15:21:34  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you've read all five? i thought the Raven's bluff one was never released... so how could ya have read it? :P

I am like a superhero, with no powers or motivation.
I have gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
People like you are the reason people like me are on medication.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2003 :  16:42:57  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zacas

you've read all five? i thought the Raven's bluff one was never released... so how could ya have read it? :P

Yeah I think youre right Zacas

Id never heard of the High Sorcery book either, I thought there were only 3 "Murder" novels in total?!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2003 :  05:25:57  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i don't think the tower of high sorcery was technically labelled as a murder/mystery book... when i did a web search i did find results saying it was out in '87 or some such... it's a classic DL novel...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2003 :  11:55:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're partially correct Zacas. The Murder in the Tower of High Sorcery was indeed a novel...it was just a little different to the way DL novels are normally presented. Also, I don't think '87 is right. The story clearly took place in the Fifth Age.

Zacas also said -
quote:
I'm pretty sure I did...I'll have to check through my stored-away books, but I am at least partially certain that there was a Murder in Raven's Bluff novel. I'll get back to you...

Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2003 :  18:10:05  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well when i did a search for the tower one, most things i found said it was a hardcover from '87... :P as for raven's bluff... even on the candlekeep main website it said it was never released :P so unless you have some semi-phenominal nearly cosmic connections... i would doubt you'd have it :P

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2003 :  08:19:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't had the opportunity to check through my boxes of stored-away novels yet, but from everything I've researched on the internet so far, it is looking more and more likely that you are correct Zacas. I'll still check anyway...although knowing me, I've gotten the novel confused with something else....

Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2003 :  02:13:31  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

I haven't had the opportunity to check through my boxes of stored-away novels yet, but from everything I've researched on the internet so far, it is looking more and more likely that you are correct Zacas. I'll still check anyway...although knowing me, I've gotten the novel confused with something else....

Wow Sage, all five you say. You must like murder mysteries as well. The only thing I thought was predictable about murder mystery novels was that they always have a twist in the story. With Murder in Halruua having a twist in the last chapter seemed kinda like a rushed job to me, but it still had a twist in the storyline.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2003 :  02:35:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It wasn't really a question of enjoying murder mysteries, it was more a case of reading them as part of the whole collection of FR novels.

Although, I can honestly say that I did eagerly anticipate reading Murder in Cormyr, so perhaps 'MEF' (My Enjoyment Factor) did work into my decision a little...

Go to Top of Page

fanatic
Acolyte

Austria
34 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2003 :  10:43:15  Show Profile  Visit fanatic's Homepage Send fanatic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i read only "Murder in Cormyr" jet. it took me three years to get the murder in Halruaa novel. since i live in austria its not that easy to get them all but im trying.

i liked murder in cormyr very much, especially the story telling in the first person was somethin different to the other FR novel i read.

even fantasy has its limits
Go to Top of Page

Adrian Moonbow
Seeker

Denmark
64 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2004 :  14:34:50  Show Profile  Visit Adrian Moonbow's Homepage Send Adrian Moonbow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've read Murder in Cormyr too.

Murder in Halruaa is one of the only FR novels I haven't been able to get my claw hands on. (Along with about 2 or 3 others)

Murder in Ravens Bluff??? I never even heard of it, and I have been at FR novels for about 10 years!

"I would have wanted not to die.
I would have wanted never to grow up!"
-Quidam

Edited by - Adrian Moonbow on 26 Jan 2004 14:36:19
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2004 :  17:04:00  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Adrian Moonbow

Murder in Ravens Bluff??? I never even heard of it, and I have been at FR novels for about 10 years!

I might be repeating myself here, so apologies.

Murder in Ravens Bluff (by Wayne Dundee) was due to come out in 1997..but following the demise of TSR in that year, it was shelved

Here it is....on the Vaporware shelf....what little is known.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  02:37:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's right Rad.

The copy I had, that I had mistaken for Murder in Raven's Bluff was only a printed out, and binded version of a 200 page work that appeared on the FR mailing list in 1998, after the actual book was 'shelved' as you say.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  08:40:56  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

That's right Rad.

The copy I had, that I had mistaken for Murder in Raven's Bluff was only a printed out, and binded version of a 200 page work that appeared on the FR mailing list in 1998, after the actual book was 'shelved' as you say.

Oo ooooo, I didnt realise it had actually begun development!! Did you read the story Sage? your opinions (if you can remember it). Would be interested to get my hands on that one!!

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  08:46:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The actual story in question had little 'official' support. It was mainly a fan work with a few author suggestions here and there, as contributed to the Mailing List. I'll see if I can dig the copy I have up again, and maybe get Alaundo to store it in the library.

How about that...?

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  13:01:55  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The actual story in question had little 'official' support. It was mainly a fan work with a few author suggestions here and there, as contributed to the Mailing List. I'll see if I can dig the copy I have up again, and maybe get Alaundo to store it in the library.

How about that...?

Thatll do nicely Sage

Did the actual author assigned to the novel have any input or was it purely a REALMS-L collaboration?

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Signal-9
Acolyte

Canada
37 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  17:17:13  Show Profile  Visit Signal-9's Homepage Send Signal-9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tarsis and the tower of high sorcery in the Forgotten Realms world!!!?!!!

Dear lord Raistlin, would never approve of this... no not at all...

"Dont make him come near me, Tanis !. I assure you. I am capable of this, truly. What i have sought all my life is within my grasp. I will let nothing stop me. Look at Caramon's face, Tanis ! He Knows ! I kiled him once. I can do it again..."
- Raistlin (Dragons of Spring Dawning)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2004 :  01:57:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not that far a stretch as you may think Signal-9. Think about what has occured to the Tower at Palanthus recently, or the 'travelling' Lost Tower even...

Rad, there was only a few ideas tossed around every so often by those authors (on the Mailing List) I spoke of, nothing really concrete or 'official', just good fan writing. IIRC, some of my own ideas eventually were included in this 'book'.

Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  02:48:14  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well that would be a first, FR characters teaming up with the Rastlin band. It'd be like Van Dame vs Steven Segal.

-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  03:27:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I should probably point out that Murder in the Tower of High Sorcery is actually a 'Dragonlance' novel, and does not take place in the Realms...

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  10:07:08  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think I should probably point out that Murder in the Tower of High Sorcery is actually a 'Dragonlance' novel, and does not take place in the Realms...

Well met

...and thats the end of that!

::walks off whistling and smiling and feeling very proud of The Sage::

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

hawkytom
Seeker

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2008 :  00:17:20  Show Profile Send hawkytom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry to bring back such an ancient topic, but I was getting ready to begin my read on the 'Murder Novels', and then you guys got me all intimidated with this thread!

I own:
Murder in Cormyr(FR),
Murder in Tarsis(Dragonlance),
Murder in Halruaa(FR),

I planned to read them in that order and then be done with them. (Cormyr->Tarsis->Halruaa)

http://www.o-love.net/realms/head_mys.html
:Leads me to believe that Murder in Tarsis is indeed the 2nd book, even though it's actually a Dragonlance novel

-Murder in Raven's Bluff = Cancelled (Does this fact give the series an 'unfinished' feeling? Or does Murder in Halruaa satisfy as the series' final novel? Thanks)
-Murder in the Tower of High Sorcery...Judging by what I've read in this thread, the book DOES indeed exist, however I haven't been able to find it for purchase online...also I haven't had much luck in searching for information on this book. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Maybe I should read something else and get back to these novels at another time, lol.

Any Lone Wolf fans? Old school gamebooks from the 80's? They are being re-released/updated, and new books 29-32 being written: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/novels/lonewolfsolo.html

Forgotten Realms BOOKS owned: ALL of them! (ebooks?...NONE! ever)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2008 :  01:15:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hawkytom

-Murder in Raven's Bluff = Cancelled (Does this fact give the series an 'unfinished' feeling? Or does Murder in Halruaa satisfy as the series' final novel? Thanks)
From what I recall from my notes, Murder in Halruaa did indeed replace the proposed earlier MiRB work.
quote:
-Murder in the Tower of High Sorcery...Judging by what I've read in this thread, the book DOES indeed exist, however I haven't been able to find it for purchase online...also I haven't had much luck in searching for information on this book. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
I was actually somewhat wrong on this. Originally there was a fourth novel planned and even an author picked out for it [Nancy Varian Berberick]. The title was going to be Murder in the Tower of High Sorcery and was going to be set in the DRAGONLANCE setting. However due to a lack of severe interest, the novel was scrapped and no more murder mysteries were published by WotC.

Go to Top of Page

Kamuraki
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2008 :  03:42:54  Show Profile  Visit Kamuraki's Homepage Send Kamuraki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I haven't read them but I'll wager a guess.

Manshoon, in the library, with the candlestick. Did I win?

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

- Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000