Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Keeping a journal
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2012 :  19:16:03  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello fellow scribes

I'm currently reading Canticle, just started really, and I came up with a scene very cliché in which the journal of the High Priest was "discovered", unprotected, in his room. It contained important information that could (and probably will) get him into much trouble, including some doubts on his faith. This always amazes me, how can they be so stupid?

How convenient really, the plot was held by a secret written in ink, unprotected, in a room guarded with a single dumb priest who could've been fooled by the delivery guy, and a ward that can be countered by a command word that must be spoken aloud (why not scream it, just to be sure everyone knows it)!

This happens all too often, as if there was no other way to move the plot forward, in novels, movies and video games. This brings a question; why would an evil mastermind write down not only his thoughts, but also incriminating information, in a journal in the first place?

Notes, I get it, he can forget stuff he'd want to remember later (ingredients, names, agenda, etc). But can't he cut off the "if anyone knew, I'd be in big trouble" information??

Keywords-only, encryption, lies (you know, like evil people do), anything?

Oh, and don't leave it on the desk, darn it!

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2012 :  19:26:41  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

This happens all too often, as if there was no other way to move the plot forward, in novels, movies and video games. This brings a question; why would an evil mastermind write down not only his thoughts, but also incriminating information, in a journal in the first place?

Probably the same reason as to why Dr. Evil only had one inept guard watching Austin Powers near the end of the movie. Clearly more inept guards would have been a better option.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2012 :  20:50:55  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I expect such a thing in an Austin Powers movie, but not in the Realms! I don't want to sound harsh, but this is bad writing (not bad author). This is the kind of things that can throw me off a story (clichés in general, not the particular journal-issue).

But there probably are good reasons to keep a journal, which is why I created that scroll.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2012 :  21:06:06  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe Salvatore thought that he didn't have the time (page space) to develop that part of the plotline, so he gave it away by have the character doing something that was otherwise out of character. Canticle was written fairly early in Salvatore career too, so it is possible that he didn't realize how it make a supposedly high ranking powerful character look by doing something so foolish.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2012 :  23:40:15  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

I'm currently reading Canticle, just started really, and I came up with a scene very cliché in which the journal of the High Priest was "discovered", unprotected, in his room. It contained important information that could (and probably will) get him into much trouble, including some doubts on his faith. This always amazes me, how can they be so stupid?

I've not read Canticle (and don't intend too) so I can't fully comment on this scene, but as to the question why an evil mastermind keep a journal in the first place, I have some answers.

Well as a real world example, 'Mein Kampf' was part journal. (I'm sure the internet monitoring service has just gone a bit nutty after I briefly checked this on Wiki.) Mao Tse-Tung wrote numerous books and poems. Stalin also wrote books and poems.

So maybe megalomaniacs write journals since they know the written word to be powerful and they wish to appear erudite.

Which makes sense but it doesn't answer why the evil mastermind in Canticle would have doubts on his faith. Or write in stuff where he says ""if anyone knew, I'd be in big trouble" because evil masterminds tend to want people to know and believe in them and their ideas.

As for leaving it lying around. I suppose most people don't carry their journal with them, but leave it somewhere safe. I have quite a few notebooks but rarely carry them with me. So it's possible journals can be found.

Having said all that, I think your conclusion that this is a cliché is best. This particular evil mastermind is more 'Livejournal' with self doubts and worries about getting into bother than 'Mein Tagebuch über Weltherrschaft'.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2012 :  00:38:12  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah I agree

Mild spoilers (it is in the first 50 pages)
I'd at least expect such a being, a powerful spellcaster, to at least cast a few protection spells on it. In this case, he lied about having been directly in contact with his goddess, an event which granted him his position. In his journal, not only is he clearly not a believer, but he never mentioned the visit of the avatar. He could have at least lied about that part, create a conversation and retell it as if it happened, in case someone read this!

I don't know the impact this discovery is gonna have, but it is all too convenient (and cliché) for my taste
Go to Top of Page

Saxmilian
Learned Scribe

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2012 :  13:34:03  Show Profile  Visit Saxmilian's Homepage Send Saxmilian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im not sure if it makes more sense but as someone that keeps a personal journal there is an actual need to write the truth (from your own point of view) at all times. Even admitting to yourself the harshness of your actions. I could imagine an evil priest, wizard or warrior-general doing the same. Otherwise they would never write a journal to begin with. Incriminating evidence is just a byproduct of the writing process. There is a freedom (sometimes justification) and even hope (of redemption) that comes from putting your shame to paper. In the hopes that some future reader will understand your motivation and perhaps forgive or mimic your actions. This makes perfect sense to me. In that thread I dont see any wards or protections as most people that write WANT their stuff to be read (even if only subconsciously).
Also, on a more practical note. HIGH-level priest or waizard = overconfidant. I can see them cocky enough to just assume that no one would DARE to read something they hadnt offered someone to do so...even "high-level epic" villans (and heroes) have flaws. (Is evil a social flaw? =)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000