Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The art style of 5E
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11808 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2012 :  21:49:21  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to thank everyone that posted favorite artists names here. I just spent the last 5 hours hunting down posters that can be used to decorate my house without being so odd as to well, overly freak out visitors who don't realize how much into fantasy I am. I picked up a copy of Parkinson's Druid Stone poster (I've always had a copy of his Demorgan's First Spell and thought it was pretty). I was never a big fan of Brom, but he had a really pretty one of a woman with a harp. Caldwell had some that I really liked, but I really only found one that felt "home decor" when I saw it and unfortunately he didn't offer paypal or something else like it. I picked up some classic elmore ones I remember from Dragon Mag covers years ago that I'd always liked that were more classic beauty/nature and less girl in bikini, (i.e. stuff you can put out around the house) . I also found some nice Daniel R. Horne and Louis Royo ones that I may have to decorate the bedroom with, but I find them very pretty. I would seriously love to have some of Lockwood's stuff, but at $60 a poster PLUS shipping each... he unfortunately lost me due to cost. I probably won't hang all of them, but its been a pleasant time just looking at the art that inspired me over the years. Some of the artists, I'd seen their work and never realized their names. That being said, I've only gone through the names listed on page 1 here... I hope I'm not broke before I'm finished.
It also made me dig out some old cards that I must have picked up at a convention about 20 years back called "Colossal Cards" with slightly smaller than regular paper pictures of some classic fantasy. Apparently on the back of them they listed the surnames of the artists in that collection (and there must have been more than one collection). In the interest of sharing this experience with others, I'm listing the more "unusual" surnames here (since listing "Jones" probably won't help anyone.... now off to look up Don Maitz (because I really like this one with a griffin)...

Some of the unusual surnames listed that I don't see above: Achilleos, Hescox, Don Maitz, Ploog, Rowena, Eggleton, Jusko, Kaluta, Sanjulian, Warhola
Some of the more generic surnames I see listed (in case someone can provide the first name): Dean, Shaw, White, Kelly, Jones

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2012 :  00:32:37  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I'd like something in the aforementioned Pathfindery vein. Todd Lockwood artwork is always appreciated.

quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

I think a lot of the 4E art lacks life.

-There was something I always thought that was "off" in the 4e artwork, and this is a great way to describe it. Very nice, don't get me wrong, but seemed just too clean, too crisp.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

769 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  00:23:47  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Saw this article on the main website. I really liked what it had to say on the subject.

http://wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4dreye/20120509
Go to Top of Page

Eli the Tanner
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  15:45:31  Show Profile  Visit Eli the Tanner's Homepage Send Eli the Tanner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Todd Lockwood really helped give 3e a good art diection (you'll probably remember those design sketches at the beginning of each chapter). Good slice of fantasy embeded in realism, I loved being able to see the practicality of the world. The races line-ups in FRCS and Player's handbook was great too (it was the reason I bought them).

honkin' big link

I also liked the variety of art style that 3rd and earlier editions had, though I'd say 3e lost it direction towards the end with so many books being brought out that the artistic continuity got diluted.

Mod edit: Cast shrinky links

Edit: Thanks Wooly. I need to learn that spell.

Moderator of /r/Forgotten_Realms

Edited by - Eli the Tanner on 10 May 2012 23:44:10
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  17:12:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting...

So realism is key, except where we should apply fantasy.

This gut should be a politician.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

769 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  18:00:35  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Interesting...

So realism is key, except where we should apply fantasy.

This gut should be a politician.

Fantasy layered upon realism. That was my take on it. D&D started out as the middle ages where all those myths and legends are true. For me that is what made it so appealing. It was just one step removed from reality. But a lot of fantasy has gotten away from this thin divide and just become pure fantasy. Huge unrealistic weapons and armor represent the embodiment of the growing rift between reality and myth. I welcome a return to a time in D&D where the line that divides reality and myth is very thin....at least in the artistic sense.
Go to Top of Page

JohnnyGrognard
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  23:57:02  Show Profile Send JohnnyGrognard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In regards to the original topic created on the artwork, I was just having this discussion with my group the other night.

The artwork in the new editions have been good, I cannot knock them artistically. However, it is definitely not my cup of tea.

There was something about the art of 2nd edition that was just awesome. It had such a "classic fantasy" feel to it that I think has truly been lost. New editions almost seen to have an anime flair to them at times.

Door, Room, Monster, Treasure!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000