Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Staff of the Magi
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jordanz
Senior Scribe

556 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  14:22:08  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I remember back in the day, the Staff of the Magi was just about the most powerful "non artifact" magic item your mage could wield. But these items are exceedingly rare.

Well that had me thinking. How does one craft such a powerful weapon? The requirements must be sky high. Perhaps the creator would need to be something more than Human, I mean it's just that powerful of an item.

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  15:23:44  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Every DM or player will probably approach magical item crafting in a different manner, especially considering which edition they are currently playing.

Personally I would require the magic user to be able to cast each spell for every spell effect going into the item. For example, a wizard wanting to make his own Wand of Lighting needs to be able to cast the Lightning Bolt spell. If you are making a stronger or more unique item you could make quests based on gathering materials. A good example of this would be seeking out some super rare tree to harvest the wood for a staff. Be creative with it and have fun.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 20 Jan 2012 15:24:00
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  17:54:19  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha jordanz, that's because "back in the day" magic items were ridiculously expensive and difficult to fashion, and a device like a staff of the magi was so multifunctional that it was almost an artifact - you could count all such staves in the Realms on your hands. Even obtaining the impossible components and secret recipes used to make magical items was often a series of quests and lengthy research. An accomplished archmage might fashion a mere handful of permanent magic items over the course of his career.

As opposed to the more modern approach of just spending some gold at Thay-Mart or just scribbling some numbers off your character sheet in exchange for quick access to any magic item you'd like, built to your custom specifications. Not a lot different from hitting that "respec" button and swapping out the gear loaded out on your computer RPG toon, the friendly blacksmith can sell you anything.

So sayeth the grumbling grognard within me. I've played both styles, I much prefer the former because it adds more of what I consider "real AD&D flavour", but the latter approach also offers many advantages, it basically just gives the players more of what they want so the gameplay for focus on other things.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 20 Jan 2012 17:59:22
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

556 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  18:24:53  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Ha jordanz, that's because "back in the day" magic items were ridiculously expensive and difficult to fashion, and a device like a staff of the magi was so multifunctional that it was almost an artifact - you could count all such staves in the Realms on your hands. Even obtaining the impossible components and secret recipes used to make magical items was often a series of quests and lengthy research. An accomplished archmage might fashion a mere handful of permanent magic items over the course of his career.

As opposed to the more modern approach of just spending some gold at Thay-Mart or just scribbling some numbers off your character sheet in exchange for quick access to any magic item you'd like, built to your custom specifications. Not a lot different from hitting that "respec" button and swapping out the gear loaded out on your computer RPG toon, the friendly blacksmith can sell you anything.

So sayeth the grumbling grognard within me. I've played both styles, I much prefer the former because it adds more of what I consider "real AD&D flavour", but the latter approach also offers many advantages, it basically just gives the players more of what they want so the gameplay for focus on other things.

Is it really that easy now? A Staff of the Magi should never be too easy to acquire and it should be exceedingly difficult to craft. Are there any noteworthy characters in the realms that currently wield one?
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  18:38:12  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Staff of the Magi are artifacts(though minor) in both the Pathfinder and 3.5e rules so a character cannot simply fork over cash or craft one him/herself with a few spells and the craft staff feat. If a character wanted to create one in my game(and was somewhere between level 15 and 19) I'd design a number of quests around discovering the formula, finding the exact, rare components, and actually discovering a location for some sort of ritual that would be highly dangerous as well as physically and mentally draining on the caster.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  19:26:04  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Staff of the Magi in 4E is a level 15+ Rare item (meaning it can't be easily forged). In addition to gaining a bonus to Arcana checks, it allows the wielder to disrupt/destroy zones and conjurations, regain powers, and create a swirling vortex that throws people all around. It's pretty cool but hard to obtain/create.

Edited by - Diffan on 20 Jan 2012 19:29:00
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  19:28:08  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jordanz

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Is it really that easy now? A Staff of the Magi should never be too easy to acquire and it should be exceedingly difficult to craft. Are there any noteworthy characters in the realms that currently wield one?

I'm pretty sure Szass Tam has one, but wait for Dennis to chime in for it to be deemed "fact."

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1281 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  21:07:58  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The use of one in The Pirate King was pretty awesome, I must say.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  04:53:17  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Malchor Harpell knows how to make them. Ask him. Of course the (possibly) easier option is to find the one lost in the lair of the dracolich Daurgothoth.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000