Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Vampiric Drow
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  02:32:38  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think something that has to be considered is that the seductiveness of immortality is probably greatly reduced among elves of all sorts. Elves already have a predilection for struggling with their long lives (much as Chosen do). Those that choose immortality typically do so out of service to causes larger than themselves (Baelnorn)--something somewhat rare among the Drow. Why exacerbate those problems in exchange for powers easily obtainable through standard applications of Art?

Though in principle I agree that it would seem that the Underdark would be home to some sort of Vampiric aristocracy across all of the cultures.

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  03:17:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Curiously, now that I think back on this, I actually recall a brief reference in the 2e Menzoberranzan boxed set that suggested the Masters of Sorcere were worried about vampire infiltration and influence among some of the drow at the Academy, after finding the dried husk-bodies of several wizards.

This might be a way in for those looking to establish vampiric drow in the City of the Spider-Queen.

Agreed. Though, as pointed out earlier, the vampires' number is too small to be a great threat.
I don't know. Vampires subverting several prominent head drow wizards at the Academy would certainly provide them with significant opportunities for influencing events in and around Sorcere.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  03:38:50  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I were undead, I wouldn't want to live around so many powerful priestesses.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  04:37:13  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the Hidden Masters of the Jaezred Chaulssin is described thusly (Patron Father Vesz’zt Auvryana of Maerimydra [CE male vampiric adult drow-dragon rogue 6/assassin 3]) on page 6 of the City of Wyrmshadows Web Enhancement for Dragons of Faerun. No doubt a formidable fellow.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 20 Jan 2012 04:40:13
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  04:50:50  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Curiously, now that I think back on this, I actually recall a brief reference in the 2e Menzoberranzan boxed set that suggested the Masters of Sorcere were worried about vampire infiltration and influence among some of the drow at the Academy, after finding the dried husk-bodies of several wizards.

This might be a way in for those looking to establish vampiric drow in the City of the Spider-Queen.

Great memory, Sage. A quick OCR search through Menzoberranzan reveals this on page 21 of book one. That is the only mention of "vampire" therein.

Someone or something in Sorcere is killing wizards. Masters of the Academy, as well as mages in training, have been found dead, reduced to dry, empty husks, as if eaten or burned away from within so that only their outer parts remain. So far, investigations by the Archmage and other senior Masters have failed to discover the cause: a rogue spell, a summoned menace, or even a monster that has wandered in from the wild Underdark, and evaded detection. The worst fear, of course, is that a Master has fallen prey to insanity or outside influence from beholders, vampires, alhoon, or rival drow and is doing the killing with a hitherto unknown spell. This may be just a launched by some outside power. If the deaths spread to Arach-Tinilith, few other conclusions are reasonably possible.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 20 Jan 2012 04:55:09
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

556 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  04:51:31  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aulduron

If you cant beat em, join em and rise to the top. I imagine an undead high priestess of Loth might have some measure of protection from turning or control.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  05:29:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Agreed. Though, as pointed out earlier, the vampires' number is too small to be a great threat.
I don't know. Vampires subverting several prominent head drow wizards at the Academy would certainly provide them with significant opportunities for influencing events in and around Sorcere.

Indeed. And as a number of (non-sexy, non-glittery) vampire books and movies have shown, all it takes is one to start things off...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  13:54:14  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jordanz

quote:

If you cant beat em, join em and rise to the top. I imagine an undead high priestess of Loth might have some measure of protection from turning or control.

Would an undead priestess have to leave the room after she used her "turn undead" power?

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  14:21:35  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Excellent point. Specially that those same priestesses are the head of the society.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  14:28:19  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

They would need all the subtlety they could muster and all the magic they could learn and harness to pull that off. Lloth and Mystra's return make that more difficult, as once again the drow wizards and priestesses are at their best.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000