Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Contradictions in Forgotten Realms Novels
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2012 :  16:59:56  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
If you ran a game where the novels were not merely as canon as the source books, but in fact novels trump the sourcebooks; what contradictions would you run into?

Former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2012 :  18:53:06  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's surprisingly few, really.

However, presumably, Drizzt Do'Urden would be an Epic level character.

I'd say, 22nd to 27th.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2012 :  20:24:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
None.

Novels should NEVER contradict or over-ride source. Continuity is the glue that holds the setting together (especially a shared world, otherwise all you have is a bunch of authors writing unrelated novels about parallel worlds).

You know why I could never really get into Highlander? Because the continuity blew chunks. If you can't even keep the rules the same from book to book or movie to movie, then its all just a bunch of unrelated gibberish.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2012 :  20:41:24  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

None.

Novels should NEVER contradict or over-ride source. Continuity is the glue that holds the setting together (especially a shared world, otherwise all you have is a bunch of authors writing unrelated novels about parallel worlds).

You know why I could never really get into Highlander? Because the continuity blew chunks. If you can't even keep the rules the same from book to book or movie to movie, then its all just a bunch of unrelated gibberish.

Lol - I agree. They never should. But, I am looking over my shoulder at a collection that is 8 novels shy of complete. With that many books I had to ask. Take the sourcebooks for example. I seem to remember that the city of Daggerford was on the North side of the river in one source, and Southside of the river according to another. Yes, we’re talking specifically about novels, but that’s the kind of contradiction I am looking for in the novels.

I had heard somewhere that The Double Diamond Triangle Saga was not considered canon. Any truth to that?

Former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".

Edited by - Thrasymachus on 10 Jan 2012 20:42:46
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2012 :  20:53:47  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Pshhh... what'chu talkin' bout Highlander "continuity"?

Everyone knows there was only one.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1281 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2012 :  21:04:52  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Map continuity errors I forgive, each versions maps are slightly different. Often cited example is the Clerical Quintet, the Snowflake Mountains and the lake seem to be different in the novels relative to the FR maps in the sourcebooks.

Some of the earlier books had characters acting strange relative to their later selves (Storm in "Tantras", Alustriel in the Icewind Dale trilogy and subsequent books from the early 90s)..but by and large the novels are very nicely consistent with the source material.

I only hold Ed up to the highest standards in this regard, the other authors can be close to the source books and not get any problem from me but if Ed's novels are off from sourcebooks that he wrote, I get frustrated. The Swords of series on the KoMD didn't tie in exactly with what was written in the Grey Box set, for instance.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2012 :  21:52:32  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

quote:

Pshhh... what'chu talkin' bout Highlander "continuity"?

Everyone knows there was only one.

lol

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2012 :  22:21:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Double-Diamond novels are considered non-canon. Some of what occurred in them was made canon by other sources (just as in the cases of the VGs), but they themselves are not canonical.

Once Around the Realms is considered canon, but it is also considered hearsay. In other words, it is the way Volo told it, and may not be the way things actually unfolded (he is considered a consummate story-teller, after all). Since the Double-Diamond books were written like chapbooks, it is possible to consider them examples of in-game canon as well; they are chapbooks that are available for people in Faerun to read, and are based on some truths, but also highly embellished.

Personally, I look at at all the novels that way - stories told by bards in-world, which may or may not be true (so as not to disturb any of my own D&D gaming). It would be better if they were like that for real, but unfortunately, they are canon. IIRC, the comics are also considered canon.

EDIT: As an aside, several FR cities have gotten the north/south of the river thing confused, and in some cases explanations were given; something along the lines of "the old city lies on the other side of the river", etc. I usually just go with that.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Jan 2012 22:25:47
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2012 :  01:52:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Double-Diamond novels are considered non-canon. Some of what occurred in them was made canon by other sources (just as in the cases of the VGs), but they themselves are not canonical.
It's tentative. As such, it would appear WotC assume some parts are canon [or at least will be], given the reference in the 'Doppelganger' entry of Monsters of Faerûn. Wizards also told us that when the timeline reached 1377 DR, some form of those novels would become canon [we learned this in the mid-to-late days of 3e]. However, given the time-jump, I'd assume we'll probably never really know the status of some of the events in the novels, unless they're specifically referenced as historical events in post-Spellplague sources.

I know some scribes find it hard to reconcile the fact that Khelben appears in one of the books in 1377 DR [especially given the events of Khelben's status-change in Blackstaff]. A possible *fix* that I've put forth before, is to suggest that the "Khelben" featured in the 1377 DR storyline of the DDTS books, was in fact Tsarra-in-the-guise-of-the-Blackstaff instead.
quote:
Once Around the Realms is considered canon, but it is also considered hearsay. In other words, it is the way Volo told it, and may not be the way things actually unfolded (he is considered a consummate story-teller, after all).
Once Around the Realms enjoys a canon status much like that of the "Double Diamond" books.

It's also worth noting that Brian James confirmed [back in 2007] that he included no events from Once Around the Realms into the Grand History.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2012 :  05:30:30  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

The Swords of series on the KoMD didn't tie in exactly with what was written in the Grey Box set, for instance.

How so?

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2012 :  08:39:24  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Canon keeps changing, novels get dated.

The Pool of Radiance novel was substantially different from (and I think inferior to) the CRPG and adventure. But the novel material was canonized when maps and lore concerning Phlan and the Moonsea were updated.

Red Magic was written by Jean Rabe, a prolific author of Dragonlance and Greyhawk novels who clearly had no knowledge of the Realms and has not written any FR fiction before or since. The novel was so full of then-canon violation I wouldn't know where to begin ... but again, later canon about Red Wizards blindly privileged the novel over other sources; the Red Wizards didn't turn out too badly in the end, but I would've thought sources like FR6 Dreams of the Red Wizards should have had precedence over a bad novel.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2012 :  15:04:18  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Big change, if I didn't "pick and choose" elements from the game the Baldur's Gate series would be canon versus the novels.

Edited by - Charles Phipps on 12 Jan 2012 15:25:44
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1281 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2012 :  15:10:41  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh lord those Baldur's Gate novelizations are terrible, aren't they? The games were so amazingly brilliant. I wish someone had told Wizards or TSR that "Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate 2" is the worst name for a product ever, and renamed it "Volo's Guide to Amn" with a tagline about Baldur's Gate 2 someplace for sales.

I actually liked Pool of Radiance the novel, it was fluffy and light but in contrast to the darker/death/evil/gritty FR novels it was enjoyable. Tarl and Shal and Ren are all great characters. Now the 2nd novel in the Pools trilogy was sooooo poorly written and Bane teleporting major cities to the underdark seemed stupid and non-canon to me. I haven't read the 3rd book yet but it's sitting on my shelf.

Darn. I liked Red Magic too...I didn't realize it was so far off from canon. The depiction of Thay with the wizards making it tropical for growing oranges and all the centaur citizens and the gold mines and tent cities outside the gates for the poor was actually interesting reading. But I defer to your wisdom Ayrik on the violation of lore depicted in the book.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2012 :  15:26:40  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well those reports about the novels are based on my perspective and opinions. I'm sure I would've been less critical or even overlooked their canon-consistency failings if I wasn't disappointed by them.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2421 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2012 :  18:10:28  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Map continuity errors I forgive, each versions maps are slightly different.
I guess it's okay as long as the text itself doesn't run into this. The lore being unreliable is a canon feature after all.
quote:
Some of the earlier books had characters acting strange relative to their later selves (Storm in "Tantras", Alustriel in the Icewind Dale trilogy and subsequent books from the early 90s).
Yes, but didn't most of this eventually turn out to be leftovers after the editors removing several plotlines because walking and chewing is supposedly too complex for us readers?
quote:

Personally, I look at at all the novels that way - stories told by bards in-world, which may or may not be true (so as not to disturb any of my own D&D gaming).
In novels what matters is the narration mode. If a character tells the tale, we can assume it's colored by the character a lot. Like that High Moor deforestation thing.
But it's easy to see cursory overview parts of the sourcebook lore like this too - "what everyone knows" vs. "what a few know", "certain point of view" vs. "very certain point of view", etc.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2012 :  19:46:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HOWEVER....

The assumption, from the beginning, is that the entire setting - NOVELS AND SOURCE - are tales retold to Ed Greenwood, by Elminster, in his Canada home, on cold winter nights, that Ed is kind enough to share with us.

It doesn't matter if Ed hasn't really written it all - the basic premise is that all Forgotten Realms lore is derived through that one avenue - the portal in Ed's house.

ERGO, everything is hearsay.

As for the OP, I think newer sources should trump older, and Ed should trump everything, UNLESS specifically overwritten in a new, official printed source (physical or internet), which was always his deal anyway. The question of 'novel vs source' shouldn't matter - it should go by the RW date the lore was published.

On the other hand, I do not think authors should change canon willy-nilly, at their whim, which I think at least one does (he doesn't do it on-purpose, he just doesn't give an Osquip's arse, which I why I don't think he even understands the concept of a shared-world). You can alter canon for the better, but to do so out of laziness should never be tolerated.

IMO, of course.

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Jan 2012 19:49:10
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2012 :  20:05:49  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

HOWEVER....
The assumption, from the beginning, is that the entire setting - NOVELS AND SOURCE - are tales retold to Ed Greenwood, by Elminster, in his Canada home, on cold winter nights, that Ed is kind enough to share with us.
It doesn't matter if Ed hasn't really written it all - the basic premise is that all Forgotten Realms lore is derived through that one avenue - the portal in Ed's house.
ERGO, everything is hearsay.
I don't know, I get all my lore from a certain shadowy, untrustworthy elf who shows up uninvited in the middle of the night when I'm close to deadline and spins a tale or two over a few bottles of wine.

Or maybe that's just my imagination . . .?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2012 :  21:15:21  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I don't know, I get all my lore from a certain shadowy, untrustworthy elf who shows up uninvited in the middle of the night when I'm close to deadline and spins a tale or two over a few bottles of wine.

Or maybe that's just my imagination . . .?

That's no everyday ordinary elf, that's Labelas Enoreth. See this photo? He's never satisfied with house wines, am I right? It always has to be the aged, good stuff. It's Labelas alright.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2012 :  21:56:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I stated above is even supported by the 2e-era comic A Grand Tour of the Realms, in which two designers (I think Jeff Grubb and Julia Martin - I no longer have it) snuck through Ed's portal and got Volo's Guide to All Things Magical from Volo, without Ed or Elminster's permission, much to their chagrin (which is why it has that 'previously banned' status).

The basic premise is that everything MUST go through Ed's hands, and everything MUST be reviewed by Elminster, and heavilly edited, before passing it on to Ed. AFAIK, that Volo's Guide is THE ONLY example of realmslore that has circumnavigated the normal channels.

That means, aside from that one single tome, EVERYTHING FR could just be so much Elminster BS. THAT is why you really can't have retcons, because the 'real truth of the matter' is never really known - we get an edited version, always.

Which is a really great, in-game explanation of continuity glitches.

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Jan 2012 21:58:11
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2012 :  23:40:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What I stated above is even supported by the 2e-era comic A Grand Tour of the Realms, in which two designers (I think Jeff Grubb and Julia Martin - I no longer have it) snuck through Ed's portal and got Volo's Guide to All Things Magical from Volo, without Ed or Elminster's permission, much to their chagrin (which is why it has that 'previously banned' status).

As I recall, that particular comic was the one that had Elminster taking Presto (of the D&D cartoon) around with him as he made his daily rounds.

I don't recall seeing what you describe in any of the comics, though one of the last Forgotten Realms comics (I want to say it was #24; it was the "Everybody Wants to Rule the Realms" issue) did show a lot of interaction between the comic/setting characters and TSR staffers, at TSR headquarters.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2012 :  23:47:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never watched the cartoon, but I will take your word for it that he is 'Presto'.

The scene occurred when Elminster introduced Presto to Volo, inside an exclusive mage-club in Cormyr. Right after El and the kid disappear, you see the two TSR employees sneak over to Volo, and get his All things Magical. AFAIK, it is the only appearance of RW individuals inside of the Realms (I am not even sure if Ed himself has ever been there).

And all of this is 'in-game', of course. I know none of them went there for real.. I'm not nuts.

Then again, you never know with Ed.....

EDIT: I added a link to that scene. Its amazing, really - not only did the comic survive the fire, but it somehow miraculously translated in Spanish!

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Jan 2012 23:55:33
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  00:16:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Never watched the cartoon, but I will take your word for it that he is 'Presto'.

The scene occurred when Elminster introduced Presto to Volo, inside an exclusive mage-club in Cormyr. Right after El and the kid disappear, you see the two TSR employees sneak over to Volo, and get his All things Magical. AFAIK, it is the only appearance of RW individuals inside of the Realms (I am not even sure if Ed himself has ever been there).

And all of this is 'in-game', of course. I know none of them went there for real.. I'm not nuts.

Then again, you never know with Ed.....

EDIT: I added a link to that scene. Its amazing, really - not only did the comic survive the fire, but it somehow miraculously translated in Spanish!

Ah, okay, I'm remembering that now. My bad.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  00:23:49  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But yes, here's my issues I'd run into with the novels as "canon."

Magic

* Shadow Weave magic and Weave Magic creates explosions equivalent to fireball spells or small scale nuclear weapons depending on when and where they happen.

Why?: Aside from the obvious incompatibility issues. The Netherese are weaker because of this than anyone else. A Weave spell-lobber could target their magic deliberately and blow the City of Shade sky-high rather easily.

Characters

* Drizzt Do'Urden is too low a level.

Why?: Not really a PROBLEM per say but he defeated Shimmergloom and Errtu in ways that make it highly unlikely anyone would be able to do on such an easy level.

Plots

* The Baldur's Gate novels in a nutshell.

Why?: Because they were just BAD.

* The Avatar books.

Why?: Mostly because Kelemvor tricking Bane just makes Bane look bad.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  00:32:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

Though they are, unfortunately, canon -- so says WotC and the authors of the novels.

And, of course, the games cannot be considered FR canon, as the author, Drew Karpyshyn says, "because of their multiple endings, the BG games can't be considered 'official' in the FR world."

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  01:44:28  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Though they are, unfortunately, canon -- so says WotC and the authors of the novels.

And, of course, the games cannot be considered FR canon, as the author, Drew Karpyshyn says, "because of their multiple endings, the BG games can't be considered 'official' in the FR world."
[/quote]

Lucasfilm just had the "best" ending and the good aligned characters considered official.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  03:07:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where was this stated?

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  11:48:12  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About Lucasfilm or Badlur's Gate?

But yes, Lucasfilm has the "good" endings of all of its games canonized.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  14:58:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, so you were referring to the myriad endings of the various LucasArts games, like Knights of the Old Republic and so forth.

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  15:10:41  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah.

It'd be simplicity just to say, "The Bhaalspawn married Jaheria, refused godhood, and adventured for the rest of his life."

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000