Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2012 :  21:34:23  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm inclined to think that was just an example, and was not referring to anything in the Realms.

If you're talking about Bugtown, I have no argument. However, I know when I'm writing... if a random name pops into my head I'm very likely to do something with it. It seems impossible to me that this would never happen to Ed, so I'm curious about whether it's a constant or merely occasional thing... and perhaps quietly crossing my fingers for a tale or two of silliness from the Realms' first gaming table.
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2012 :  21:47:55  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message
Forgive me if I've already asked a question similar to this one before, but I just thought of this:

Has Ed ever done a campaign where it took place during or sometime before the Crown Wars? Specifically, anything to do with Aryvandaar before it fell? If so, is there any information that we can know about it? Things like settlements, notable characters, pretty much anything that is unique to Aryvandaar? I'm really interested in it's regional culture. Was there any particular style of dress that was common?

I better stop myself, just in case there isn't any information to be had :P
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2012 :  22:31:16  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message
I'd like to know that too! I'm interested in anything elven ^^

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2012 :  23:00:32  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Quick Question I think THO will be able to answer:
Studying the older maps, I'm inclined to think that one had to pass through the edge of the Stonelands when traveling from Cormyr to Tilverton - is that correct?

Later maps seemed to reduce the Stonelands and move them west, stealing a big swath of the Goblin Marches in the process.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2012 :  02:50:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Quick Question I think THO will be able to answer:
Studying the older maps, I'm inclined to think that one had to pass through the edge of the Stonelands when traveling from Cormyr to Tilverton - is that correct?

Later maps seemed to reduce the Stonelands and move them west, stealing a big swath of the Goblin Marches in the process.

I think Ed might have peripherally-answered this before, when I once asked him about ancient dinosaur habitats in the Stonelands.

I'll check the archives.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2012 :  15:32:19  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
xaeyruudh, according to Ed, Wooly is right in this case: Jeff wrote that Bugtown line, deliberately choosing something that sounded non-Realmsian, so it would be taken by most readers as an invented example rather than a sharing of Realmslore.
Sorry.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2012 :  15:56:25  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
This from Ed, to Cassie5squared, re. "Another question for Ed, this time on behalf of a friend; in the time of Azoun IV's reign, what would be the likelihood of a non-noble-born person being granted a knighthood and/or title? (The character is a half-orc born in Cormyr, with one human Cormyrean parent.) She mostly wants to know if it's at all plausible."
Ed replies:

Hi! The likelihood depends entirely on character performance, of course - - meaning: knighthoods are handed out to mark outstanding actions of benefit to the Crown, hoping for ongoing loyalty/service to the Crown. Titles mean either being settled with land or marrying into royalty or senior nobility, and in either case assuming what we would call an ongoing "job" for the realm. Being a half-orc makes it less likely to get a title, but performance and loyalty overrides all.

So saith Ed. Who is wildly busy right now . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2012 :  16:32:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Interesting, and makes me think of another question:

Azoun IV seemed to be a very forward-thinking type of guy. How common was it for non-humans to be elevated to positions of power during his reign? How about compared to 'in the past' of Cormyr? Have there been demi-human (or even humanoid) nobility in Cormyr? How about in the military? Anyone of note?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Cassie5squared
Acolyte

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2012 :  22:57:10  Show Profile Send Cassie5squared a Private Message
Thank you very much THO and Ed! My friend is delighted with that information.

"Why do any of us get up in the morning? Why, for the joy and fun the day might bring us, if we're awake to see it! Up, then, and find ye fun!" - Elminster of Shadowdale

"And from the flames
As chance would have it
The Soulforged will come into light~" - Blind Guardian, "The Soulforged"
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2012 :  18:21:54  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
You're very welcome.
I have a few tentative beginnings of answers for NineCoronas ("Ed" means a direct quote, "A:" means an answer derived from me paraphrasing Ed):

"2) What are common oaths a Paladin of Mystra takes?"
A: Ed says one of them is to defend all who use arcane magic from persecution because of their magic use. Another is to destroy no enchanted item, no matter what.

"3) How would the established churches of Mystra react to a Paladin of their goddess that does not integrate with their organizations?"
Ed: Quite well, because many of the relatively few paladins of Mystra act more or less as solo agents, assisting Mystran clergy when they are 'on the scene,' but otherwise following directives Mystra or Mystra's servitors (beings of the Weave) have personally given them. It doesn't matter whether or not individual priests of Mystra like this state of affairs; it's become the norm.

"4) What exactly happens in a typical 15th of Marpenoth (Reference: 3.5ed's Mystra's ascension) celebration? Are they big groups, or on a smaller, personal level?"
A: Ed says they're almost all small personal celebrations (in temples, individual prayer vigils), not revels.

"6) What actions would a Paladin have to take for Mystra to strip him/her of his powers? How forgiving of mistakes is she (I.E., a Paladin is tricked into something, etc.)?"
A: Ed says very forgiving. Second chances, accepts human fallibility (so few or no consequences if tricked into something).

"8) What colors are Paladins of Mystra required to wear... and in the same vein as the above question, is it Mystra that requires them to wear those colors, or the religious order?"
Ed: The religious order demands paladins of Mystra wear such colors if they want to recognized as paladins in good standing BY CLERGY OF MYSTRA. Mystra demands nothing in this regard. The colors are blue-white and silver, or failing that, royal blue and white. Best of all: a circle of seven or nine white stars or dots on a blue field (sash, surcoat, or cloak).

There. A start, at least. More from Ed when he can.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2012 :  18:39:22  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Re. this, from Markustay:
"Azoun IV seemed to be a very forward-thinking type of guy."
Ed saith:

He was. Azoun was as rebellious a youth as any, and so inclined to fight with Vangerdahast (his main tutor). However, zoun was very bruight, and always open to new ideas - - increasingly open-minded as the years passed, and always willing to listen to new ideas from any source (particularly as he saw the increasing ossification of the senior nobility of the realm). Vangey and Azoun's wife, Queen Filfaeril, saw this, and brought various purveyors of new ideas (and insightful "intelligence" about the wider world) into contact with Azoun, so he received a steady flow of new ideas, and developed a very broadminded attitude.
Although non-human gentry and nobility were uncommon (Azoun wasn't in the business of forcibly marrying anyone to anyone else), they did appear in Cormyr's military in increasing numbers, on merit - - and that very merit eventually, in the widest sense rather than on the individual attitude to another individual level, made them accepted.
More when I can grab the time. Sorry. VERY busy right now.

So saith Ed. (And when Ed says he's very busy, the rest of us would call it "insanely busy" or some such.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2012 :  19:12:15  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Thank You for your answers.

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2012 :  19:51:18  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

"2) What are common oaths a Paladin of Mystra takes?"
A: Ed says one of them is to defend all who use arcane magic from persecution because of their magic use. Another is to destroy no enchanted item, no matter what.

First off, yay for info about churches! I'll raise my drink to more of this. When time permits, of course.

I'm curious about how strict this particular directive is, in cases where the church encounters enchanted items with wholly-evil (or more specifically wholly-destructive-to-users-of-magic) effects.

A sphere of annihilation is capable of destroying a city. However, properly harnessed, it can act as an incredibly efficient garbage disposal. So that's a gray area.

What about things that are utterly black? Does the church have to guard such an item, in honor of its enchantments, or can the item be destroyed in a ceremonial fashion, perhaps aimed at re-uniting the magic bound into this item with the Weave and hence with Mystra, to be available for a more constructive endeavor in the future?

Would this directive extend to protecting creatures who are composed of or who feed on or disrupt the use of magic? Hakeashars, balhiir, etc...?
Go to Top of Page

NineCoronas
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2012 :  22:35:14  Show Profile Send NineCoronas a Private Message
Can't wait for the rest :) Thanks THO/Ed! Look forward to the rest.
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2012 :  23:10:36  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message
Just curious, but did my question get drowned out or is it still awaiting a proper answer?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2012 :  00:12:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Aryalómë

Just curious, but did my question get drowned out or is it still awaiting a proper answer?

No question in Ed's thread gets drowned out; his Lovely Hooded Emissary passes on everything to him, sometimes including discussions on other threads.

Ed is one insanely busy guy. He has a creative output to rival that of the hypothetical Shakespearean monkeys, on top of a day job and other commitments. On top of that, he doesn't always have the answer to any given question readily available -- there is much Realmslore to be found piled in boxes and such in his legendary basement. And on top of that, he treads an ever-shifting minefield of NDAs and projects he has to avoid speaking on. Sometimes he can't even mention an NDA without giving something away.

So, long story short -- your question has been forwarded to Ed. He may answer within hours, you may be waiting for a few years -- I've got unanswered questions going back at least 3 or 4 yours, myself.

Even being able to email him directly doesn't guarantee a swift answer to a lore question...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2012 :  00:55:01  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
quote:

quote:

No question in Ed's thread gets drowned out; his Lovely Hooded Emissary passes on everything to him, sometimes including discussions on other threads.

Ed is one insanely busy guy. He has a creative output to rival that of the hypothetical Shakespearean monkeys, on top of a day job and other commitments. On top of that, he doesn't always have the answer to any given question readily available -- there is much Realmslore to be found piled in boxes and such in his legendary basement. And on top of that, he treads an ever-shifting minefield of NDAs and projects he has to avoid speaking on. Sometimes he can't even mention an NDA without giving something away.

So, long story short -- your question has been forwarded to Ed. He may answer within hours, you may be waiting for a few years -- I've got unanswered questions going back at least 3 or 4 yours, myself.

Even being able to email him directly doesn't guarantee a swift answer to a lore question...

I think I read somewhere he only gets around 4 hours of sleep a night or something crazy. :(

If only we had a cloning facility. Someone make a call to the planet Kamino!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2012 :  02:19:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Wooly addressed this already, but I'd just like to add a small tidbit:-
quote:

I know it can seem that way, especially if you're not inclined toward keeping up with the latest replies, but I'll simply suggest either that you subscribe to this scroll [so you'll receive alerts about new replies] or make it a habit to check regularly.

From my own experience, I've once or twice missed a reply Ed has made to something I've asked -- either years ago, or through an private email to Ed's desk -- here at Candlekeep, and then missed reading it as a result of my scurrying around other scrolls.

Ed's amazing ability to cast Realmslore through the ever vigilant avatar of the Lady Hooded One is a remarkable example of the succinct working relationship between them both. It's a privilege to be able to share in that experience.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2012 :  02:22:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

quote:

quote:

I think I read somewhere he only gets around 4 hours of sleep a night or something crazy. :(

If only we had a cloning facility. Someone make a call to the planet Kamino!

Not a good idea.

Then we'd have to worry about the eventual "Attack of the Manshoonclones."

See what I did there?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2012 :  03:43:33  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Or worse, if they disagree with each other, we'd be having arguments over "which Ed is more canon?"

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2012 :  04:33:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Ah, but Vampire Ed could give us Realmslore, forever! And Ed Prime would be free to work on other projects...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2012 :  04:40:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Ah, but Vampire Ed could give us Realmslore, forever! And Ed Prime would be free to work on other projects...

No, no. Ed Prime would just smash the walls separating the various dimensions of the multiverse so that multiple versions of Ed could all come together.

Ideally, Ed Prime pounding on the walls of reality would also lead to numerous retcons throughout the Realms universe.

[DC fans will probably realise where I'm going with this. ]

Edited by - The Sage on 03 Oct 2012 04:42:33
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2012 :  15:22:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
"I'm Ed, and my wife is, too!"

Heh.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 03 Oct 2012 15:23:02
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2012 :  15:34:50  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And "Hi!" again, everybody.
Ed is continuing to scamper around like a chased chicken, but wants Aryalómë to have something to go on, before a proper reply can be made, so to this: "Has Ed ever done a campaign where it took place during or sometime before the Crown Wars? Specifically, anything to do with Aryvandaar before it fell? If so, is there any information that we can know about it? Things like settlements, notable characters, pretty much anything that is unique to Aryvandaar? I'm really interested in it's regional culture. Was there any particular style of dress that was common?"
Ed makes a swift partial reply:

No campaign, but some short stories.
Yes, Aryvandaar was featured as a setting, and I have some lore on it that I can share (when I find it!).
What I can recall off the top of my head is that there was distinctive jewelry made from still-living plants, that Aryvandaar did have elven metal-working (alloys such as electrum, castings of smoothly flowing shapes), that magical radiances (of controlled intensity and hues) were cast on weapons and the ceilings of rooms, and that there was distinctive clothing: a particular style of cloak, and "varade" (jerkins) of a V-shape, narrow at the waist but flaring to broad at the shoulders, with horns or spires sticking up from the outer points of the shoulders.
Oh, and much use of longswords, slightly curved (think lightly-made sabres) longswords, and daggers that surrounded the knuckles with a guard ("brass-knuckles"-like arc of protective metal) from which three dagger blades thrust out, at angles (45, 90, and 45-degree, or horizontal in both directions plus a third blade at 90-degrees).
More details when I can find them. (Right now, I feel like the White Rabbit in Alice . . .)
Ed

So saith Ed. Your original and only slightly used Realms creator.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2012 :  16:47:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
THO, does that make you Alice?

Are we about to have our frabjous day?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2012 :  17:33:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

I'm sure she could have me chortling in my joy.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2012 :  22:12:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I am so glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that... +10 to Wooly.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2012 :  22:52:33  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:

quote:

I'm sure she could have me chortling in my joy.

Callooh! Callay!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2012 :  00:22:47  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message
Thank you so much THO and Ed!!! It really means a lot to me to hear such great information about Aryvandaar. Already, from what I have to go on, I love Aryvandaar even MORE!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2012 :  00:26:54  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Gee, Markustay, I don't know...
I've never had the White Rabbit in me.
Ah-HEM.

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page