Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Unofficial "Share Your Realmslore" thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2011 :  14:30:34  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I love Ed Greenwood's Answer Thread for reasons I'm sure we all share. It doesn't matter if it's a major question or a minor one, he has bits of Realmslore about EVERYTHING. Whether it's Manshoon's secret plot to take over Faerun, sexual practices of elves, or whether Drow practice basket weaving.

Then I thought about the pages and pages of Realmslore I'VE written up over the years. It can be anything like how you play the Church of Kelemvor to the fact, in your games, Ssass Tam has a cat familiar he's lovingly maintained for centuries.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  19:37:42  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I suppose I should go first then.

Religion and Gods

* Evangelism exists in the Realms, though it's of a different stripe than other gods. Everyone is polytheistic but a lot of clergy love spreading their specific god's glory above all others. Realms citizens find this as annoying as people do in real life.

* Waukeen's clergy is the only one which actually sells their cures and does so at an exorbitant price - which has impeded her progress in the Realms at times. A radical element of her clergy are akin to the Takers from Planescape and consider charity foolish.

* In the 4E realms, Bahamut has absorbed much of Tyr's former place as the god of civilization and justice. He's an immensely popular god, though most people consider the draconic elements to be figurative as opposed to literal.

Despite this and the fact Bahamut is older than dirt, Torm is considered to be the head of the Triad.

* Tiamat is actually one of the more popular goddesses in the Realms as well, especially in certain areas. As opposed to being "Bane-lite" she is a goddess who is considered wrathful and terrible but ultimately appeasable. Likewise, many Tiamat worshipers consider her a maternal figure akin to Chauntea.

* Before Helm's death, the clergy of Helm ran a form of bank where money was trusted to be guarded within temples and lay worshipers could have notes of cash that they could cash in. Waukeen's clergy has tried this but people generally don't trust Waukeen's clergy to not attempt to make money "grow."

Places

* The Lords of Waterdeep in the new Realms try to balance archmages, peasants, warriors, and the religious when they choose new members - oddly, the noble families of Waterdeep are rarely represented since they're considered the biggest threat to the city often enough.

* The Kingdom of Many Arrows primarily survived due to the Spellplague causing a vast number of sellswords and mercenaries needing to become available. Obould's heirs thus traded orcish steel and savagery to build up his kingdom - it's now a highly militaristic kingdom but one which enjoys limited trade.

Gruumsh's priests still often preach holy war and have cults' spread out.

People

* Fzoul, despite being a fascist and a scumbag, has a Doctor Doom-esque sense of honor. He'll honor the letter of any contract he makes with someone and (unless he feels like he's being cheated or disrespected) the spirit.

Ironically, Bane is much less honorable and will break compacts whenever it suits him.

* Mirt the Moneylender is actually more like the Kingpin in terms of his body and frankly can beat the living snot out of the vast majority of people he encounters.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000