Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Merging two mega modules
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mystic Lemur
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2011 :  04:05:24  Show Profile Send Mystic Lemur a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
First let me say that I have already searched out the threads relating to both Night Below and City of the Spider Queen. There has been great advice on this site and others, and I wouldn't have been able to get as far as I did without it.

My original plan was to run Night Below, set in Daggerdale, followed by City of the Spider Queen. It is now looking like my party will be too high a level after finishing NB for the first part of CotSQ to be of much interest to them. Seeing the similarities between the two modules, I have toyed with the idea of combining them somehow.

The rough plan I have been able to work out would be to insert Szith Morcane somewhere close to the beginning of Book II combine NB book II with part II of CotSQ (the weakest part of both adventures, from everything I've found), and then tag on Book III after Maermydra. Does this seem possible/reasonable? Am I just asking for my players to have epileptic seizures?

Converting isn't the problem. Or, rather, I'm going to have to convert everything to Pathfinder anyway, so a little extra work won't hurt. I just want to make sure everything flows well.

"What mattered our lives now, when our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring." -A review of the FRCG ;)

Mystic Lemur
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2011 :  22:16:12  Show Profile Send Mystic Lemur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The more I think about that, they will be too low in level after Book 1 for CotSQ. Maybe if I set it after book two, and then put Shaboath in that underground sea on the way to Maermydra.

That would make it play NB Book 1 and Book 2, CotSQ parts 1 and 2, NB Book 3, CotSQ parts 3 and 4.

And feel free to comment, even if you think it's a terrible idea. ;)

"What mattered our lives now, when our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring." -A review of the FRCG ;)

Edited by - Mystic Lemur on 29 Dec 2011 22:16:57
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2011 :  00:08:26  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would just mash elements of what you want into your campaign. Night Below supposedly took years of game time so there's lots of room in between the various missions to have your normal dungeon diving and various other activities. What you have listed as the campaign arc seems like it would work just fine. All you have to do is tweak the time it takes the CotSQ endboss to fullfill their evil plans. Night Below is an oldie, but a good one, as I've been thinking about adding elements of Night Below into my underdark campaign. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2011 :  00:05:07  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They are also two of the deadliest adventures that have ever been published, so just be careful. In NB, a TPK is often a good outcome, with mind slavery something even more common.

But, to try to be helpful, I agree with Eilserus. NB can be spread out over years, and it's easy enough to insert CotSQ. For instance, you can have Szith Morcane be off in one corner when they're fighting the kuo-toans, and be sort of a third wheel, with the drow fighting both the gogglers and the PCs as appropriate. Make sure the drow thoroughly annoy your PC's, and they may decide to take on the city once they're done with the kuo-toa. At which point you can start seeding hints for later parts of both adventures.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Mystic Lemur
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2011 :  03:38:59  Show Profile Send Mystic Lemur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good points, both of you. I hadn't though about the time scale (as, to be honest, we just kind of wing it). I'll have to decide when I want the Silence to hit, and how the Drow would react to the slavers. Maybe have a faction the PCs can ally with, who later vanish (wiped out by Kiaransalan drow).

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2011 :  03:58:17  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think there's a lot of opportunity for "real politick" in a game where you've got a sizable drow presence along with everything in NB. The obvious swing of things to me would be for the PC's to con the drow into helping them against the kuo-toa, who are intruding into the drow's domains. Then, after Maerimydra falls, turn around and ally with the illithid against them, since the illithid fear nothing more than undead.

Interesting possibilities, certainly.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000