Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 In what book/short story is Jarlaxle's birth?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Squifurgie
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2011 :  21:22:19  Show Profile Send Squifurgie a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

I have read in Jarlaxle's profile on the Forgotten Realms Wikia and other places about Jarlaxle's birth, being the third son to Yvonnel Baenre, her attempted sacrafice of him, K'yorl Odran's involvement, Lolth granting him his memories of his birth and so on . . .

I would like to know in what book this story is contained, I have read all the Salvatore books set in the Forgotten Realms and I am pretty sure I never came across this story.

I have read all Salvatore's short stories contained within the fairly recently released Collected Stories Compilation

any help on this would be much appreciated!!

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2011 :  22:23:25  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They talk a bit about it in the sellswords trilogy, mainly Rotp but...did Calihye go out the window in Witchking? It's mentioned there, Kimmuriel referring to the image of the barrier deflecting the stabs must remind him of his birth, but it's not plotted out in an actual story or anything.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2011 :  04:17:01  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They're both in Road of the Patriarch.

The Citadel of the Assassins archmage Knellict doesn't like Entreri and Jarlaxle, and he talks unstable Calihye into trying to kill Entreri. This reminds Kimmuriel of Yvonnel, and he says as much to Jar. Upon failing to whack said assassin, Calihye then gets chucked through a window.

There are actually several references to the birth scene and its aftermath in various chapters of that novel.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

zenmichael
Seeker

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2012 :  18:09:47  Show Profile  Visit zenmichael's Homepage Send zenmichael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm actually reading RotP right now, and, yes, it's mentioned at least once before, but the longest portion of the story, to which Dennis is referring to, is in Chapter 19, "A Scene Uncomfortably Familiar" or something of that sort.

Hope that helps.

Realms Remembered: A Chronological Read-Through (DR) of Forgotten Realms Fiction
http://www.youtube.com/rolereviewsal
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2012 :  18:58:32  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm pretty sure I wasn't referring to that. In the first place, I haven't read RotP. (Got the names switched?)

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

zenmichael
Seeker

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  00:55:17  Show Profile  Visit zenmichael's Homepage Send zenmichael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I'm pretty sure I wasn't referring to that. In the first place, I haven't read RotP. (Got the names switched?)

Yeah, Dennis, sorry about that. Apparently I must've had two windows open & was reading a post from you in the other one. I meant BEAST, not Dennis ... Chapter 19 has the reminiscing leading to the defenestration (well, I don't think there's a window, so technically I guess it's just a window chucking).

Realms Remembered: A Chronological Read-Through (DR) of Forgotten Realms Fiction
http://www.youtube.com/rolereviewsal
Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  11:06:57  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I figured there was glass in the window, because I swear I remembered something about broken glass, however I may have made that up in my head. They got put up in a pretty classy inn though, probably fancy enough a place to have windows with panes, right?

Don't mind me, clearly I don't pay as much attention as I thought I did, as I apparently never read chapter titles. Haha, nice.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000