Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Would river-traders worship Valkur?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

perm
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  05:24:53  Show Profile Send perm a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
my campaign is set in a large town built on the river Chionthar that is mainly a trading town thanks to the river. Would the sailors that pass through worship valkur, or is valkur more of a sea god? I am trying to think of a god's shrine to put on the waterfront. Waukeen already has a proper temple.

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  06:04:03  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well you are building so in the end it is up to you.
I will however offer that sailing up river tends not to work well unless a strong wind, there are no waves. Now if trade comes in from the sea, there clearly is no reason a small temple might exist. The people honor many deities and sailors certainly can be on fresh and salt water. Also winds might make it easy to sail up a river at times.

My quick research appears to indicate he is more a sea god, however is a deity of all sailors.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7981 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  07:28:54  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Chionthar passes through a large area. The temples and shrines in the major settlements built along its banks (Baldur's Gate, Berdusk, Elturel, Scornubel, Iriaebor) are already detailed well enough. Baldur's Gate is a major port on the Sword Coast and so would worship Valkur/Umberlee, whereas the inland cities wouldn't place as much emphasis on the sea; they actually tend to worship deities who aren't related to water at all.

The Chionthar could easily be the domain of a local river deity, or even an overpowered water creature with entry level divine stature, serving the needs of Eldath or Selūne or even Valkur. Perhaps even a self-serving sovereign entity, allied with the more powerful water deities only as necessary or convenient.

Sailors tend to be a very superstitious lot, and it seems to me that a temple dedicated to a water god would best be built on or under the water ... every large ship would likely carry some sort of shrine, small vessels might have holy symbols inscribed on their rudders and masts, many vessels would mount figureheads and other ornamentation glorifying (or appeasing) the water gods. Land cannot serve as well as water for such temples, even in a port city ... although no doubt most ports would install temples serving this purpose to help fill the city coffers. I think merchant (and pirate) captains would prefer to pray onboard their own vessels, although the common sailors might have to make do with whatever local shrines are offered.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  07:32:44  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shaundakul, Umberlee, Valkur, Talos, Eldath, they all should have shrines there.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  18:38:52  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Slightly off-topic.

Magic sails that work in-reverse: they are drawn toward the wind.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2011 :  02:08:49  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes because they sail. The God of Sailors would be worshiped by sailors on lakes, rivers, etc. in my opinion. Especially major rivers like Chionthar.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000