Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Who should wear the Crown?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2011 :  12:52:10  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good point on Pratchett, and I feel tempted to agree, and in fact if this was a "Your favourite phantasy wreiter" poll, he would be in my top ten together with Byers, Greenwood, Cunnigham, De Bie, Weiss and Hickman (I count them as one author ) and some more but if we focused in the difusion and influence, I think Tolkien would be on top.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2011 :  16:17:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

For some strange reason it wont let me.

Really?

Wooly, Sage, you might want to look into this. [I hope this isn't some kind of a sign of the return of the naughty gremlins.]

Earlier today I couldn't log out from the site.

It said that I logged out but I wasn't.

Could be just an issue with cookies and your browser.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2011 :  17:15:34  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marc

My poll would include Ashton Smith or Howard, but not Lovecraft. Also Steven Erikson, Abercrombie, Wolfe, Vance, Herbert and maybe among Moorcock, Anderson, Vandermeer, Crowley, Feist, China, Shea, Kay, Pratchett, Kearney, Sanderson, and a few that I'm forgetting at the moment.

Michael Moorcock... I've heard lots of good things about his works. I have the 8 individual Elric books, and Elric of Melnibone is on the 7th spot of my current To-Read list.

When you said Anderson, did you mean Kevin J. Anderson? I read his Crystal Doors Trilogy, a collaborative work with his wife, Rebecca Moesta. Good, but hardly memorable... I will purchase his Terra Incognita books soon.

Guy Gavriel Kay's The Summer Tree was very disappointing that I didn't bother finishing it nor picking up any of his other books.

Brandon Sanderson's debut trilogy is one of the best series in the history of fantasy.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2011 :  18:10:20  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hoo boy, where to start?
Dennis, you've gotta read more widely before you start things like this.
Haven't read Moorcock? Haven't read Clark Ashton Smith? Have read only half a book by Buy Gavriel Kay? Sheesh.
Brandon Sanderson is developing into a decent writer, yes, but he did NOT debut with a trilogy. Sounds like you've missed a lot of books.
The modern fantasy revival/fantasy as a North American genre started with Tolkien, yes, and was driven with two "prongs," as it were: high fantasy (Tolkien, Watership Down, Tad Williams, Stephen Donaldson, et al, Kay and Martin being the current top proponents) and low fantasy (Conan and all of the Howard imitators).
Moorcock is major. For a while, post Tolkien's death, Moorcock and Howard and Lin Carter's Ballantine fantasy classic reprint series WERE fantasy, in North America.
I agree with Therise. THO nailed you.
I could tell the same, just from the choices you listed in the poll (thought to myself: this guy hasn't been reading fantasy very long).
Someone ten years older would have had a very different list of choices (except for Tolkien). Some twenty years older, a different list yet again.
Feist and Gemmel are middle-pack writers to most longtime fantasy collectors: we like their stuff, but "Greatest"? Nuh-uh. Not when the world has held the likes of Tolkien, Vance, Moorcock, Kay, Bellairs, Zelazny, Dunsany, and many, many more. J.V. Jones is "better," if we're going by (admittedly very subjective) standards of literary quality. If it's popularity, it goes like this: Tolkien, Pratchett, Baum, Rowling, then a big drop to Martin and some of the other moderns. If it's influence, it's Tolkien, Howard, Lovecraft, Rowling, and Pratchett...and it's too early for any of us to play the "lasting influence" card for anyone currently writing aside from the last two. If you count collectors and retellers, then the Brothers Grimm and Aesop make the list, too.
And I agree with THO about the "All Time" thing, too. It's rather hard not to, if one can master even basic logic.
BB

Edited by - Blueblade on 02 Oct 2011 18:12:36
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2011 :  18:30:42  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
C.S. Lewis wrote some interesting things as well, I the Land of OZ came out first I believe compared to Tolkien. Checks, it appears L. Frank Baum died before the other two mention wrote a book. Baum wrote about 23 fantasy books.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2011 :  18:38:17  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Hoo boy, where to start?
Dennis, you've gotta read more widely before you start things like this.
Haven't read Moorcock? Haven't read Clark Ashton Smith? Have read only half a book by Buy Gavriel Kay? Sheesh.
Brandon Sanderson is developing into a decent writer, yes, but he did NOT debut with a trilogy. Sounds like you've missed a lot of books.
The modern fantasy revival/fantasy as a North American genre started with Tolkien, yes, and was driven with two "prongs," as it were: high fantasy (Tolkien, Watership Down, Tad Williams, Stephen Donaldson, et al, Kay and Martin being the current top proponents) and low fantasy (Conan and all of the Howard imitators).
Moorcock is major. For a while, post Tolkien's death, Moorcock and Howard and Lin Carter's Ballantine fantasy classic reprint series WERE fantasy, in North America.
I agree with Therise. THO nailed you.
I could tell the same, just from the choices you listed in the poll (thought to myself: this guy hasn't been reading fantasy very long).
Someone ten years older would have had a very different list of choices (except for Tolkien). Some twenty years older, a different list yet again.
Feist and Gemmel are middle-pack writers to most longtime fantasy collectors: we like their stuff, but "Greatest"? Nuh-uh. Not when the world has held the likes of Tolkien, Vance, Moorcock, Kay, Bellairs, Zelazny, Dunsany, and many, many more. J.V. Jones is "better," if we're going by (admittedly very subjective) standards of literary quality. If it's popularity, it goes like this: Tolkien, Pratchett, Baum, Rowling, then a big drop to Martin and some of the other moderns. If it's influence, it's Tolkien, Howard, Lovecraft, Rowling, and Pratchett...and it's too early for any of us to play the "lasting influence" card for anyone currently writing aside from the last two. If you count collectors and retellers, then the Brothers Grimm and Aesop make the list, too.
And I agree with THO about the "All Time" thing, too. It's rather hard not to, if one can master even basic logic.
BB

I said debut trilogy, not debut novel. His fantasy debut was Elantris, a stand-alone, which was commendable. A three-year old would have noticed the difference.

I wouldn't "brag" of the books I've read and enjoyed, as you seem to be more like. Do I really have to list all the authors whose works I've read just to show how much of a wide reader I am? Besides, didn't I already say some on the list aren't my favorites?! Also, in case Logic has somehow left you, how exactly can a list of 12 authors [which is, unfortunately, the limit of the poll] reflect whether one is a wide reader or not?!

Move on... THO and Therise said more than enough digression from the topic. A friendly advice: If you can't or refuse to answer the poll's question, might as well stay from this thread. That's what I do when I don't have anything worthwhile to add, or when my would-be comments would just spark some needless fire. Again, move on...

Edited by - Dennis on 02 Oct 2011 19:07:10
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2011 :  18:39:31  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

This looks like a good listing.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2011 :  18:45:26  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

C.S. Lewis wrote some interesting things as well, I the Land of OZ came out first I believe compared to Tolkien. Checks, it appears L. Frank Baum died before the other two mention wrote a book. Baum wrote about 23 fantasy books.

I used to like Baum's works, back when my tastes were considerably different from what they are now. C.S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia is almost as famous as LotR. I couldn't really appreciate it much, partly because when I read it, I was already old for its intended audience, and partly because I read it out of order.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2011 :  21:00:57  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

quote:

For some strange reason it wont let me.

Really?

Wooly, Sage, you might want to look into this. [I hope this isn't some kind of a sign of the return of the naughty gremlins.]

Earlier today I couldn't log out from the site.

It said that I logged out but I wasn't.

Could be just an issue with cookies and your browser.

I cleared everything and I still couldn't log out.

It said I did but I wasn't logged out.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2011 :  21:17:41  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No one in that list is close to Tolkien's stature; his peers aren't journeyman epic fantasists.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2011 :  21:36:00  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Dennis, if you're dispensing friendly advice, here's some for you: Sanderson's debut trilogy was a childrens' fantasy trilogy that's amusing, but hardly great fantasy (Librarians of Alcatraz? er, yeah).
I think Blueblade's point stands. If you haven't read Moorcock or Clark Ashton Smith or more than half a book by Guy Kay, your poll-roster is going to be just what he was implying it was: severely limited.
Nor is this a digression, nor was THO's point that you equated favorites with Greatest at the outset, then subsequently tried to deny doing so by saying you'd included non-favorites in your dozen choices.
You've got to stop being so defensive. Blueblade didn't sound like he was "bragging" to me. To me, it reads as if he was responding to specific things you posted, not going on and on about how much he's read or how may books he owns.
If you don't like people responding who don't agree with you, don't start polls that try to "crown" the "Greatest Fantasist of All Time"!
Just put forth your roster of writers, say "these are people I consider major writers of fantasy, agree/disagree/add your choices" and I for one would be a lot happier.
Obviously this sort of poll is going to wind up based entirely on personal opinions/preferences. Have the grace to allow those of others to be treated as if of equal worth to yours.
(Which is just, of course, MY opinion.)
BTW, in your, er, "friendly" advice, how exactly do you know who did or didn't answer the poll?
The list you provide the link to is fairly good, IF it's based on recent (ONLY recent, which I believe was the point being made about Baum) sales, and sales is taken as the most reliable measure of popularity. However, lasting influence is another, and that's where Lovecraft and Tolkien and Howard rise up - - and Dennis, being as you didn't try to define your "Greatest" criterion, NONE of these scribe's postings are a digression. They are all directly germane. That's the problem with using a loaded word like "Greatest" and not providing clear definitions.
So, there's my friendly advice on the matter.

Edited by - Malcolm on 02 Oct 2011 21:38:46
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2011 :  21:45:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good fantasy writing begins with solid world-building, and I can think of many authors who are masters of their craft. That list you posted is just the tip of the iceberg, and I find myself hard-pressed to single out any particular one (I like different worlds for different reasons).

Writing, I think, is fairly easy, if someone else has laid the groundwork. But show me a person who can breath life into their characters and settings, and I will show you a master of their craft. When a mental image springs to mind as I read - one so vivid I can almost smell the surroundings, and hear the chatter and day-to-day noises - I know the author has created a living, breathing world.

That's not just fiction... that's literature.

When a world is created whole-cloth before the story, and more importantly, FOR the story, you can feel it. An author needs to know what sort of creatures and people populate his world before he (or she) sets pen to paper.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Oct 2011 21:53:56
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2011 :  23:26:46  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, all. I was trading e-mails with Ed today (we're both editing novels and movie scripts that are linked to each other), and I sent him this poll, and the chat re. this poll. He responded:

Oh, dear. Dennis, I won't be voting in this poll or commenting about authors, because I'm afraid I consider it exceedingly unprofessional (as a professional writer myself) to play favourites or pick and choose among living writers I know and work with, dead ones I never knew, and dead ones I knew and revere, but I must agree with some of the other posters about being clearer with definitions, at the outset, in any such poll. It's one of the reasons comparing Realms authors to arrive at a "best" is frowned upon in the Code of Conduct for these forums.
"Of All Time" is, as has been pointed out, obviously impossible, unless the world has already ended and time is over for us all.
"Greatest" is as loaded a term as many have pointed out, if it's used without specific criteria.
Moreover, your use of the term "Fantasist" means a scribe could quite rightly wax wroth because you didn't include Dali, Escher, or Giger (among others), who may not be primarily known as writers, but ARE famous "fantasists" of lasting influence.
And so on.
Markustay's post about worldbuilding reminds us that famous and lastingly influential worldbuilders, such as Sir Thomas More or Austin Tappan Wright, may or may not be regarded as great writers, but are undeniably fantasists of lasting influence.
I could go on, but - - let's just keep our fellow scribes happier by carefully wording polls to have clear and specific definitions. Please.
(And on a personal note, I get irked when a scribe tries to tell other scribes what NOT to say at the Keep, when no breach of the forum Code has occurred. We do have superb moderators here.)

So saith Ed. Who is busy busy busy right now on future Realmslore for us all.
love,
THO

Go to Top of Page

Sage of Stars
Seeker

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2011 :  23:48:34  Show Profile  Visit Sage of Stars's Homepage Send Sage of Stars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah. Ed (and THO, earlier) have the right of it, as usual.
Though I can add another contender for "Fantasist" using another perfectly valid definition of it: Lord Dunsany not only qualifies as a writer, he was a foremost "fantasist" by trying to bring back tourneys and a fantasized chivalry and Arthurian culture, for real, with armor and gowns and the works. (A singlehanded forerunner of SCA and RenFaires by generations.)
Dennis, if you only have eight Elric books, you're missing three novels and more short stories and novelettes of the saga. Not counting Eternal Champion crossovers and the wider series, of course.
And I, too, recall a time when commercial North American fantasy was dominated by Tolkien (and hordes of imitators, all of whose books had taglines on the cover saying something like "greatest writer since Tolkien" or "move over, Tolkien" or "joins Tolkien on his throne" or some such), Conan books and THEIR imitators, Lin Carter's Adult Fantasy series and his own (fun but not all that good) novels, Andre Norton's Witch World series, Moorcock's novels, and the John Carter of Mars reprints. Not to mention John Norman's bestselling erotic fantasies of Gor. (Lovecraft was there, lurking, but his star rose and fell, and at that time wasn't much remembered outside the ranks of fantasy fans.)
I think that's what Blueblade was getting at. A Keep scribe who discovered fantasy back then would probably have spent the scant dozen poll choices on, yes, Tolkien, but probably a quite different cast to fill out the roster.
I was a fan and writer back then, but not professionally involved in publishing, as I am now - - but I WAS working in publishing when the Eddings and Feist books started to appear, and the Gemmel books started travelling across the pond from the UK, and I recall our senior fantasy editors rolling their eyes and grumbling about "Here comes the ruination of the field, we'll be hip-deep in c**p again!" So picking "greatests" really does have to do with the time a scribe first started reading fantasy (like looking back at the sports teams of yesteryear with nostalgia).
Tell you what, Dennis: run this poll again fifteen years from now, and see what writers you feel the urge to put on that dozen roster, then. (And if Tolkien pops up right away, that really rather answers the question, doesn't it?)
Go to Top of Page

A Publishing Lackey
Seeker

74 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2011 :  23:55:59  Show Profile  Visit A Publishing Lackey's Homepage Send A Publishing Lackey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good point.
I recall the earliest days of the publishing firm I then worked at having Net access, and running similar polls. Back then, fans fought viciously about who was the greatest fantasy author - - only back then it was Jordan vs. Goodkind vs. Tolkien, with a few suggestions for Lewis and Moorcock.
Martin had been in print for years, but the first Westeros book had only just appeared, and he wasn't on the horizon for the poll participants back then. Sanderson hadn't written a published word yet, Rowling was just getting going, the whole Twilight and urban vampires thing hadn't yet happened, and Gaiman was a superb comics writer and doing sf but unknown to most fantasy prose fans.
So it's a moveable feast, for sure. See how swiftly the dead writers (Zelazny, and now Jordan) and the relatively inactive ones (Vance, and now Wolfe) fade.
Just out of curiosity, Dennis, in which year did you start really seeking out fantasy to read? Who were your first favorites? Which writers have stayed strong in your regard, right up until now?
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  02:20:57  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm so happy right now [just won the lottery] that I think it wise to cast the ignore those scrolls spell. Just by seeing the poster's name I know which scrolls I should not read.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  02:23:24  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This looks like a good listing.

And this, too.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  02:27:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. Dennis, to quote Fritz Leiber (another fantasy great of the first rank):

So read not, young fool, and be not enlightened.

So it hath been written. (But by all means ignore and be happy. The loss is, after all, yours, as is the choice.)
love,
THO

Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  02:30:23  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Farrel

I voted for G.R.R. Martin, I do love my Tolkien, it's just that there's so much more intrigue and it's far grittier

I do find the length of time between his books quite infuriating and have wondered whether he will manage to complete the series.

Yep. I followed his blog for years desperately wondering when the next book would be out and it was always infuriating to read about how he was spending weeks or months on tours and discussion groups, or football games or just loafing, and often wrote "I wrote 2 pages today. That's more than I have written in a month in almost 2 years"

Disheartening to say the least. Especially since the first 3 books never had more than 2 years between them. Book 4 took 5 years and book 5 took 7 years.....
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  02:31:00  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry. Double post

Edited by - Firestorm on 03 Oct 2011 02:32:11
Go to Top of Page

A Gavel
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  02:33:51  Show Profile  Visit A Gavel's Homepage Send A Gavel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahem.

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis:

Just by seeing the poster's name I know which scrolls I should not read.

Such a mature attitude. But as you say, moving on . . . moving on . . .
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  02:39:19  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi again, all.
Firestorm, I feel your frustration, but having had a chance or two to talk with George (Ed's now-deceased cousin, Mike Glicksohn, was good friends with George, and was his handler at the last Toronto Worldcon, so we had some brief opportunities to chat), here's the thing: that's the way George works.
And if he wasn't puttering away on Wild Cards books and other projects, and wasn't happy, he wouldn't be moving ahead on the Westeros books at all. (Neil Gaiman wrote a famous/infamous blog post about this very thing, entitled "George Martin is Not Your Bitch")
So I understand your pain and share your pain, and yes, George is neither young nor healthy . . . but the way I see it, we've just got to be thankful for the books we've already received and enjoyed . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  02:43:35  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dennis: quite often, I think polls for "greatest X of all time" are subconsciously meant more as "tell me who you like" queries. No offense, but I think if you'd started out that way then things would have gone better with this thread. Also, I wasn't intending to be unkind by siding with THO, but your list and your defensive (and somewhat irked) responses do confirm what she was saying. But: it's not a sin to own up to the fact that your list betrayed some inexperience on your part.

No one here is "out to get you", and it's vitally important to understand that when people are offering correctives or advice they aren't being mean or trying to derail you (unless they're obviously hostile, which I don't think anyone has been). But terms like "greatest" and "all time" are really loaded and are pretty much asking for heated challenge/debate. How does one even begin to compare someone like Clark Ashton Smith, who published a great deal (creating worlds, not just stories) and had a giant influence on Lovecraft and all subsequent horror fiction, with someone like J.K. Rowling (created one world, and made tons of money)? It's said that Rowling is richer than the Queen of England, but C.A. Smith ended up skirting poverty most of his life. "Greater/lesser" and "all time" can mean VERY different things, depending on what you're really asking, and only a deeper experience with literature can answer why.

The more I read, not just in fantasy/sci-fi but also in general fiction and non-fiction, the more I am convinced that questions like "who is the greatest X" are really code for "who do you love?" with the unwritten/unspoken subtext of "...and I hope I can get some ideas for new books to read, without seeming like I haven't read very much or that I'm a newbie in this genre." Nobody likes to be viewed as a newbie, of course, and I think asking for those things here are worse than asking at a bookstore. This forum is filled with writers, editors, and others associated with the publishing field, as well as people of all ages who have been reading and delving deep into fiction for decades.

So my friendly advice: just try not to be offended if someone is pointing out one's lack of experience. I think I came off as "HA! Suckah!" (which was NOT my intent) rather than a wink and a poke-jibe saying "Heh, she gotcha, kiddo." So please don't be offended by what I said. But DO use this as an opportunity to broaden your experience and recognize that people here are pretty wise and friendly folk. Usually.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Seabus Mythforger
Seeker

76 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  02:52:08  Show Profile Send Seabus Mythforger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you really want the "Greatest" it is without a doubt Tolkien. And while he's not my favorite, I can't deny nor dismiss the landmark he left on the world of fantasy/fiction. Now if you ask who my favorite is I voted for Margaret Weis (tho she should be listed as a duo with Tracy Hickman for their extraordinary work in the Dragonlance universe). I can still recall vividly the adventures of the Companions throughout the Dragonlance Chronicles and the madness that ensued during the Legends trilogy. And I still will put Raistlin on top of Elminster in my favorite mage category. I mean the guy was one step from God-dom!! He became the most powerful wizard of his time, then went back in time and became the most powerful wizard of that time by killing and assuming the mantle of the mighty Fistandantilus! Not to forget the amazing race of kenders. I think the Tasselhoff Burrfoot/Fizban dynamic is one of the most hilarious duos in fantasy literature running neck and neck with Ivan and Pikel Bouldershoulder.

~Seabus Mythforger,
Renegade Mage
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  03:04:16  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Firestorm, I feel your frustration, but having had a chance or two to talk with George (Ed's now-deceased cousin, Mike Glicksohn, was good friends with George, and was his handler at the last Toronto Worldcon, so we had some brief opportunities to chat), here's the thing: that's the way George works.
And if he wasn't puttering away on Wild Cards books and other projects, and wasn't happy, he wouldn't be moving ahead on the Westeros books at all. (Neil Gaiman wrote a famous/infamous blog post about this very thing, entitled "George Martin is Not Your Bitch")
So I understand your pain and share your pain, and yes, George is neither young nor healthy . . . but the way I see it, we've just got to be thankful for the books we've already received and enjoyed . . .
love,
THO

lol. I never said he was. I merely said it was infuriating and disheartening.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  03:07:21  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

quote:

I voted for G.R.R. Martin, I do love my Tolkien, it's just that there's so much more intrigue and it's far grittier

I do find the length of time between his books quite infuriating and have wondered whether he will manage to complete the series.

Yep. I followed his blog for years desperately wondering when the next book would be out and it was always infuriating to read about how he was spending weeks or months on tours and discussion groups, or football games or just loafing, and often wrote "I wrote 2 pages today. That's more than I have written in a month in almost 2 years"

Disheartening to say the least. Especially since the first 3 books never had more than 2 years between them. Book 4 took 5 years and book 5 took 7 years.....

Imagine how many emails he's received clamoring for him to finish his books earlier than his wont. But that's just the way how he works. And if we're statisfied with the results, then I guess that's what matters most.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  03:10:25  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seabus Mythforger

If you really want the "Greatest" it is without a doubt Tolkien. And while he's not my favorite, I can't deny nor dismiss the landmark he left on the world of fantasy/fiction. Now if you ask who my favorite is I voted for Margaret Weis (tho she should be listed as a duo with Tracy Hickman for their extraordinary work in the Dragonlance universe). I can still recall vividly the adventures of the Companions throughout the Dragonlance Chronicles and the madness that ensued during the Legends trilogy. And I still will put Raistlin on top of Elminster in my favorite mage category. I mean the guy was one step from God-dom!! He became the most powerful wizard of his time, then went back in time and became the most powerful wizard of that time by killing and assuming the mantle of the mighty Fistandantilus! Not to forget the amazing race of kenders. I think the Tasselhoff Burrfoot/Fizban dynamic is one of the most hilarious duos in fantasy literature running neck and neck with Ivan and Pikel Bouldershoulder.

There was a time when I favored Raistlin over any other wizards in all the novels I read. I wish it were still true today.

Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  03:12:50  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

quote:

Imagine how many emails he's received clamoring for him to finish his books earlier than his wont. But that's just the way how he works. And if we're statisfied with the results, then I guess that's what matters most.

Unfortunately, he is old and is vehemently against fan fiction. I also read comments that he disapproved of Robert Jordan letting someone else finish his series after he died.
Granted, I am not sure how accurate the quotes are. But my long term fear is that he will pass away like Jordan did, except leaving us with no idea how the story ends.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  03:18:01  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Even if he disapproves of letting someone else continue the series after he dies, if his publisher decides to do it, then do it they shall. Besides, he'd be dead by then, so what else can he do? ;)

Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2011 :  03:27:53  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Even if he disapproves of letting someone else continue the series after he dies, if his publisher decides to do it, then do it they shall. Besides, he'd be dead by then, so what else can he do? ;)

For some reason, I am pretty sure they cannot do that.

Especially if he has not told anyone how it is supposed to resolve like Jordan did.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000