Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Advice on the Old Gray Box
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Maximum_Collateral_Damage
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2011 :  15:24:58  Show Profile Send Maximum_Collateral_Damage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met, Sages!

I've recently unearthed my 1e books, modules and -best of all- the Old Gray Box! I'll have to re-read it to get myself reacquainted with the original setting, but I digress...

I was hoping to run a 1e FR game for my friends and use the GDQ series of modules (Against the Giants, the Drow series and finally Queen of the Demonweb Pits) therein.

Does anyone have any experience doing this, or advice on where I should set it geographically?

Bonus question: What (if any) FR modules would you suggest?

Thanks very much for your time

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2011 :  16:21:17  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Haunted Halls of Eveningstar module is very good, and one that Ed used in the early 80s (variant) according to the notes he wrote to introduce players to the realms as a starter dungeon module and area. It's early 2nd edition rule set but that's very close to 1st edition, easily modified.

For the setting of the GDQ modules, I don't think you could go wrong with the Dalelands. You have close by ruins/mountains for giants and numerous entrances to the Underdark even in Shadowdale, and Myth Drannor has extra planar links too.

Good luck. Wish I could join your group! Hard to find any FR games going on where I live...nevermind 1st or 2nd edition!
Go to Top of Page

Maximum_Collateral_Damage
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2011 :  01:23:00  Show Profile Send Maximum_Collateral_Damage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh good call! Thanks!!

Sorry you're not closer :(
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2011 :  14:08:48  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Dalelands are the best. The giant Storm King of the Thunder Gap that threatens Highmoon

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2011 :  01:41:17  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like Kno, I set my version (just G1-3, no drow) in the northern Dalelands and the area just north of the Monsea. G1 took place in the Dagger HIlls. G2 took place in the glaciers of the Dragonspine mountains, not far from the town of New Verdigris. G3 took place in an outlying section of the Mines of Tethyamar, with a side adventure to the Flaming Tower & the Temple to the Sky. I completely eliminated all references to the drow in G3, making the Fire Giants and thier dwarven advisor the masterminds behind the whole plan.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2011 :  03:16:18  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
N5 Under Illefarn makes for a great starter module.

The Moonsea makes for a good place to run the GDQ series.

Good gaming to you and yours and also hail and well met.

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000