Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 module suggestion, anyone?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Laerrigan
Learned Scribe

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2011 :  01:35:41  Show Profile  Visit Laerrigan's Homepage Send Laerrigan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Do any modules pop to mind for this, that I could look into? Once again, I just need somewhere to start looking, and considering the vast amount of experience gathered here...

I'm hoping to find something that incorporates a single, powerful, preferrably unrevealed-until-the-climax henchman of the big bad guy. I don't mean an ancient fiendish dragon tucked away in a cave waiting to be roused to destroy a metropolis; think a little more in-your-face personal for the PCs, along the lines of some kind of juggernaut specially-designed golem behind door B in the mad wizard's lab, or a weird creature confined in a labyrinth as the final and greatest threat to the unfortunates tossed in there. In fact, if the creature could actually be a spy, bodyguard, or right-hand man of the active antagonist (rather than just a weapon kept in storage), so much the better. The main point is the surprise-to-the-PCs inherent this subordinate but dangerous figure.

If anything springs to mind with those nudges/ideas, I'll be quite grateful for direction in my mod-browsing. Any edition is fine, I'm just looking for a solid story framework to cut down on my own work, lol.

"Your 'reality,' sir, is lies and balderdash, and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." (Baron Munchausen)
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was not made for this world." (C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy")

Edited by - Laerrigan on 14 Aug 2011 01:37:52

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2011 :  03:22:26  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Laerrigan

Do any modules pop to mind for this, that I could look into? Once again, I just need somewhere to start looking, and considering the vast amount of experience gathered here...

I'm hoping to find something that incorporates a single, powerful, preferrably unrevealed-until-the-climax henchman of the big bad guy. I don't mean an ancient fiendish dragon tucked away in a cave waiting to be roused to destroy a metropolis; think a little more in-your-face personal for the PCs, along the lines of some kind of juggernaut specially-designed golem behind door B in the mad wizard's lab, or a weird creature confined in a labyrinth as the final and greatest threat to the unfortunates tossed in there. In fact, if the creature could actually be a spy, bodyguard, or right-hand man of the active antagonist (rather than just a weapon kept in storage), so much the better. The main point is the surprise-to-the-PCs inherent this subordinate but dangerous figure.

If anything springs to mind with those nudges/ideas, I'll be quite grateful for direction in my mod-browsing. Any edition is fine, I'm just looking for a solid story framework to cut down on my own work, lol.

I'm not sure if this is quite what you're looking for, but there was a really nice adventure in Dungeon magazine #127 called the "Hall of Harsh Reflections" where (spoilerified here:) a doppleganger replaces one of the PCs for a good 75% of the adventure. The twist is that one of your players actually plays the doppleganger-as-himself (or herself) until the critical moment (finding the actual PC tied up, surrounded by doppler-versions of the whole party).

It's actually one of the early adventures in the 12-part "Age of Worms" and I can personally say that it was really fun to play.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer

Edited by - Eltheron on 14 Aug 2011 03:23:12
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2011 :  19:49:02  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whenever the topic of golems and Forgotten Realms comes up, the module DQ1 - Shattered Statue comes to my mind. It's an older module with stats in both 1E AD&D and Dragonquest (a role playing system originally developed by SPI). While it is set in the Realms (Cormyr, in a vale in the Thunder Peaks to be precise) it doesn't have a Realms logo, just the 1E AD&D logo. being long out of print, I suspect the only way to find it these days is as a pdf from one of the many e-games sites.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Gouf
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2011 :  19:55:42  Show Profile  Visit Gouf's Homepage Send Gouf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With a little rescripting to place them in the Realms, the Greyhawk Falcon (Flames of the Falcon, Falconmaster, Falcon's Revenge) trilogy of module sounds pretty much like what you are looking for.

"Why is the torch burning blue?"
Go to Top of Page

Laerrigan
Learned Scribe

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2011 :  22:45:03  Show Profile  Visit Laerrigan's Homepage Send Laerrigan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool---I have that Dungeon issue and the mod does look interesting, now that I know to have a look. Just need to look into getting hold of DQ1 and Falcon trilogy. Thanks!

"Your 'reality,' sir, is lies and balderdash, and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." (Baron Munchausen)
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was not made for this world." (C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy")
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000