Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Swashbuckler or Duelist?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  17:21:22  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What would you say is the better class to take for a Rogue? Thanks.

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  17:58:55  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Swashbuckler, hands down. That is, if we're talking about v3.5. With the Swashbuckler, you get skills that work well with the Rogue, d10 HP, good BAB, and some interesting class features like free Weapon Finesse, Graceful, and Insightful Strike. In additoni, you have the feat Daring Outlaw (Complete Scoundrel) that allows you to stack your Graceful class feature and Sneak Attack features if you go mostly rogue or swashbuckler. There is also the Alternate Class Feature (Shield of Blades, i believe) from PH2 for those who dual-wield weapons.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  20:36:20  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed. And if you're a gnome, you can then go into Blade Bravo, pick up some giant fighting feats, and be virtually untouchable. All kinds of fun. I'm actually playing one of those right now (though we're still at level 5, so I haven't gotten to the good stuff yet).

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  04:43:20  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Agreed. And if you're a gnome, you can then go into Blade Bravo, pick up some giant fighting feats, and be virtually untouchable. All kinds of fun. I'm actually playing one of those right now (though we're still at level 5, so I haven't gotten to the good stuff yet).

Nice, hadn't thought of that. I have a cross-over (v3.5 to PF) of a Swashbuckler/ Rogue/ Swordsage. Here's the char. sheet though mind that he's now fully converted to Pathfinder, so the skills are off as are a few other things. Attacks, Damage, and many feats are still the same, so it's not too far from what he'd be in v3.5

ZAKARUS
XP 9,600
Male human rogue 6/ swashbuckler 3/ swordsage 1
N Medium humanoid (human)
Init +7; Senses Perception +14 (+17 vs. traps)
===========================================================================
DEFENSE
AC 27, touch 19, flat-footed 19 (+5 armor, +6 Dex, +2 shield, +2 Cha, +1 deflection, +1 natural); Dodge, +2 to AC vs. traps
hp 96 (6d8+6 plus 3d10+3 plus 1d8+1)
Fort +7, Ref +17 (+19 vs. traps), Will +8 (+10 vs. fear)
Resist evasion
OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft.
Melee +1 assassinating shortsword of least life drinking +15/+10 (1d6+9/19-20) or
Melee +1 assassinating shortsword of least life drinking +13/+8 (1d6+9/19-20) and +1 shortsword of least life drinking +13/+8 (1d6+8/19-20) with Improved Two-Weapon Fighting or
Melee mwk dagger +15/+10 (1d4+8/19-20)
Ranged +1 shocking elvencraft composite longbow (Str +1) +14/+9 (1d8+2/x3, plus 1d6 electricity)
Atk Options bleeding attack, disruptive attack, sneak attack +5d6
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 6th)
3/day—no light
Skill Tricks nimble stand, shrouded dance
Maneuvers and Stances Known (IL 5th)
Stance—step of the wind (1st)
Strike—fan the flames (3rd), soaring raptor strike (3rd), wolf fang strike (1st)
Boost—burning blade (1st)
Counter—mind over body (2nd)
Other—shadow jaunt (2nd)
Disciplines—Desert Wind, Diamond Mind, Shadow Hand, Tiger Claw
Readied maneuver
STATISTICS
Str 10, Dex 22, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 14
Base Atk +7; CMB +7; CMD 23
Feats Combat Reflexes, Daring Outlaw, Dodge, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Mobility, Superior Finesse, Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Finesse
Skills Acrobatics +16, Bluff +12, Climb +8, Craft (poison) +10, Diplomacy +7, Disable Device +18 (+21 against traps), Disguise +8, Escape Artist +11, Intimidate +6, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +8, Knowledge (local) +8, Perform (dance) +11, Profession (apothecary) +6, Sense Motive +10, Slight of Hand +10, Stealth +22, Swim +4, Use Magic Device +13
Languages Common, Elven
SQ bravado, bravery +2, insightful strike (+2), trapfinding, trap sense +3, rogue talent (bleeding attack, combat trick, minor magic)
Combat Gear potion of rage, (2) oil of magic weapon +1, 1 potion of tree shape, wand of produce flame (CL 4th; 25 charges), 1 oil of shillelagh, oil of bless weapon, wand of knock (29 charges), eternal wand (ebon eyes) 2/day, 4 acid flasks
Possessions +1 mithral chain shirt, shield ring, sihedron medallion, stalker's mask, +1 shortsword [least crystal of life drinking] with oil chamber, +1 assassinating shortsword [least crystal of life drinking], ring of protection +1, amulet of natural armor +1, gauntlets of ogre power, +1 shocking elvencraft composite longbow with 25 arrows, masterwork thieves tools, masterwork surgeon's tools, masterwork dagger, standard adventuring kit, grappling hook, 7,066 gp, 682 sp, 230 cp.

Sources Used: Pathfinder_OGC, Complete Scoundrel, Book of Vile Darkness, Complete Warrior, Web Enhancement: Cityscape, urban tools part 3, Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2011 :  15:58:10  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
both are tons of fun

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2015 :  14:25:05  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know that Swashbucklers were in Complete Warrior, but if memory serves, wasn't there an variant (3-3.5) published elsewhere?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000